2012 Nhl Labour Troubles Thread

If the season is cancelled, NBC will pay the NHL $200 million and then get an extra year added to the end of their contract.link
Seems like a pretty bad deal for NBC
  • Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

THe thing I'm worried about is how different I feel about this work stoppage as opposed to the last one. This one leaves me disgusted with both the players and the owners, although I don't have the s

McKenzie for commissioner.

Yeah, it's free. NBC is basically giving the league extra resources to withstand a cancelled season. That doesn't seem like it's in their best interests though. If the season is gone, when it does come back ratings will certainly take a hit, right? Doesn't make sense to me from NBC's standpoint. It's a great deal for the league.

Brendan Witt@WhitemooseranchBS how Bettman call the fans the greatest then stabs them in the back. Hey Gary go **** yourself and get the deal done selfish dick

does the league release profit numbers? I just wonder, if we kept the current CBA and the economy gets back to normal, would it still operate at a loss?
I think the issue is that a lot of American teams can't break even no matter what because of the salary cap floor which is now higher than the max cap was 5 years ago. The high revenue teams in the US and the Canadian teams are doing just fine.The worst thing to happen to marginal American teams has been the strengthing of the Canadian Dollar since that has driven up overall league revenue which increases the cap and floor but the NHL doesn't have very much revenue sharing so they don't see that increase in revenue but are forced to increase their payroll.

The league's counteroffer yesterday gives me a little bit of hope that this all might get worked out in the next two weeks. They seem to have relaxed their financial expectations quite a bit.

yeah... don't think so... they gave the players more, but then changed how they calculated HRR, so it's actually less.. and they want to roll the cap back to 58 million, without rolling salaries back... 16 teams already over that cap...

Well atleast I have the EPL to watch.

There are going to be a lot of very good young NHL players who will be sent to the AHL by their teams. Hockey fans in Toronto should make an effort to go to some Marlie's games.

I'd be interested to know which teams are really spearheading this drive...they keep saying "it's the rich teams" but I've gotta believe any list of the top 5 richest owners has to include Pegula and I can't see this being him...would be very out of character IMO.

I'd be interested to know which teams are really spearheading this drive...they keep saying "it's the rich teams" but I've gotta believe any list of the top 5 richest owners has to include Pegula and I can't see this being him...would be very out of character IMO.

Instead of rich I think you need to think high revenue and Buffalo isn't one of the highest.

Think, Leafs, Rangers, Philly etc

Instead of rich I think you need to think high revenue and Buffalo isn't one of the highest.

Think, Leafs, Rangers, Philly etc

So, basically the teams I already blame everything bad in the league on? :P

I say think Jeremy Jacobcs and Ed Snider. High revenue, powerful and egotistic enough to push this on.

These owners, and others, get such a free pass from hockey fans who save all their hate for Gary Bettman. Its like ignoring OJ did the crime, and hating Johnny Cochrane.