he's okay i guess. i just don't think he's anything special. his sports show or whatever from last year or the year before was terrible.

You're insane. That show was awesome. The problem was that they taped it too early in the day, and all the 'news' was old by the time it aired. It was also hurt by the fact that it was only once a week. If it was on after Colbert or something, it would have worked.

Hedberg and Hicks. Carlin and Cosby. David Cross, because he riffs on a subject near and dear to my crotch: bestiality, in which he opines that bestiality is more legal in some states, like Texas, than consensual anal sex between humans. Now, I don't know about you, but ****ing an animal in the ass is just disgusting. Unless you have one of those Dyson vacuums and a quality hose hook up. Then, getting the creature to hold still is the hardest part. Except for my dick.And Tosh's stand up might be funny, but I find his show is similar to the Jackass movies. I prefer the cerebral stuff (see above).

The Norm stuff is amazing. The people on stage are losing it while the crowd is dead silent. Crazy stuff.http://vimeo.com/15823351http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhdV4vxpZSg&feature=related

Comedy is an almost biblical thing in the sense of Lenny Bruce begat Richard Pryor begat Eddie Murphy by way of influence. Therefore this list is long for me (and probably won't be comprehensive here). Just because someone is on my list doesn't necessarily mean I like the comic's entire catalog but can sometimes just appreciate their work for influence they had on comedians that are more contemporary. Like Henny Youngman. Without him there would be no Rodney Dangerfield as we know him, and without Rodney, Sam Kinison might never have been as big as he was. Get the picture?Henny YoungmanJack BennyBuddy HackettRodney DangerfieldDon RicklesBob NewhartBill CosbyLarry MillerDennis MillerGeorge CarlinBill HicksEddie MurphyLenny BruceDave ChappellePaul RodriguezMitch HedburgEddie IzzardBrian PosehnSteven WrightJim GaffiganEugene MirmanPatton OswaltZach Galifinakisi'm tired of thinking now...

• 1 month later...

I went to the Improv last night, and sawTodd Glass (host)Karen KilgraffNick KrollMarc MaronNeil HamburgerAndy KindlerI hadn't heard of Karen Kilgraff--but she was funny and smart. She brought her guitar on stage and played songs. My favorite line, "if you don't like it, you can fck you."Nick Kroll was funny with a bunch of bits. My favorite was an imitation of characters of 1970s movies eating. My friends (who see a lot of comedy around town) say he's a hit and miss performer, sometimes too high for words.This was the first time I've seen Marc Maron do a set, though I've listened to his podcast.Aside--I think LA is great alt comedy town. Well, I think the two easiest, most accessible things about LA is the revival theater scene (like a new print and screening of Jaws or Lawrence of Arabia) and the stand up comedy scene. It's super cheap and at lots of venues. Last night, my ticket was $10. All this is with a caveat. It's only good if you're comfortable with seeing work in progress, not a complete set. There's also a lot of inside baseball style commentary on other comics and venues. Last night, 3 or 4 of the performers all made fun of Jay Leno.Neil Hamburger was good, there were a few lines that were funny, and a little uncomfortable vibe. I can't imagine how awkward it would feel if he was headlining in a place that wasn't expecting his style.Andy Kindler was okay. I mean, I'm a jerk, right? He's been doing it so long, and has had such solid feedback over the years, but he's just never going to cross over to bigger success. I kept looking at him, seeing the ghost of Nick Kroll's future.

Neil Hamburger
holy crap I had never heard of this guy and he is awesome. I would love to see him live, especially in a place that's not expecting him.
holy crap I had never heard of this guy and he is awesome. I would love to see him live, especially in a place that's not expecting him.
I'm still thinking about one of his Madonna jokes:Why did Madonna feed her baby Alpo dog food? Well, that's just what came out of her breasts.
  • 1 year later...

Gotta bump this to mention Bo Burhnam. Earlier this year he released his latest special exclusively on youtube/netflix. Interesting move and his schtick is pretty unique. It's not laugh out loud funny the whole time and he could come across pretty self important but that's by design. There's lot of brilliant stuff in there and I found some other good stuff on youtube as well.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At the birthday party I went to on Saturday, two of his good friends did a mini roast of him and had some prepared remarks. When they were done, they asked if anyone wanted to say anything. Me, being buzzed, and loving attention when I'm buzzed, I snatch the mic out of his hand and start yapping to a room of about 60+ people, more than half of which I don't know even a little. I talk about the bday boy a little and I'm just getting nothing from the crowd. Zero. I start to melt on stage, even though there wasn't a stage. Just dying. No matter what i said, nothing. I knew what it was like to bomb. It hurt.

LUCKILY, I remembered to do what i do best, be a dick and pick on people. I say, it's a roast, so let's pick on some people. I scan the crowd and the first thing I see is a guy wearing jean shorts, a plaid shirt and some Jesus slippers, the ones with the Achilles strap, not just flip flops. So I lit into him by starting with

Steve, I mean, jesus, those sandals. No, I'm asking, were those Jesus' sandals? You're a grown up, buy a respectable pair of shoes

I then picked on a 40 year old woman who's still wearing bedazzled jeans and a guy that used to be handsome and now he's a bearded fatty. Those all got good laughs. I picked on myself and my poor wife, then called the musician back up. Someone suggested we do a duet. The guy was black, so for my ending joke, I asked him if he knew Ebony and Ivory.

Big laugh, thank you and goodnight.

I wouldn't mind writing some material and trying that again. But man, dying on stage is painful. But the laughs are soooo worth it

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I went to the Improv last night, and saw

Todd Glass (host)

Karen Kilgraff

Nick Kroll

Marc Maron

Neil Hamburger

Andy Kindler

I hadn't heard of Karen Kilgraff--but she was funny and smart. She brought her guitar on stage and played songs. My favorite line, "if you don't like it, you can fck you."

Nick Kroll was funny with a bunch of bits. My favorite was an imitation of characters of 1970s movies eating. My friends (who see a lot of comedy around town) say he's a hit and miss performer, sometimes too high for words.

This was the first time I've seen Marc Maron do a set, though I've listened to his podcast. Aside--I think LA is great alt comedy town. Well, I think the two easiest, most accessible things about LA is the revival theater scene (like a new print and screening of Jaws or Lawrence of Arabia) and the stand up comedy scene. It's super cheap and at lots of venues. Last night, my ticket was $10. All this is with a caveat. It's only good if you're comfortable with seeing work in progress, not a complete set. There's also a lot of inside baseball style commentary on other comics and venues. Last night, 3 or 4 of the performers all made fun of Jay Leno.

Neil Hamburger was good, there were a few lines that were funny, and a little uncomfortable vibe. I can't imagine how awkward it would feel if he was headlining in a place that wasn't expecting his style. Andy Kindler was okay. I mean, I'm a jerk, right? He's been doing it so long, and has had such solid feedback over the years, but he's just never going to cross over to bigger success. I kept looking at him, seeing the ghost of Nick Kroll's future.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw this show on Wednesday night. Eddie Pepitone, Iliza Schlesinger, and Baron Vaughn--really good and happy I went. I should make an effort to see more comedy.

I love Iliza Schlesinger. I've never actually heard a full standup set of hers, but I used to listen to her (now defunct?) podcast now and then, and her elitism was world class. She was talking to someone about LA traffic, and her solution was that if you still haven't made it in the entertainment industry after 4 years, you should have to move back to the middle of the country. I can get behind a world view like that.

I wonder how many nbc execs she had to blow to get in before her expiration date?

yeah, i could get behind that alright...

main.jpg

• 3 months later...