How Would You Have Played This Hand.....

Its a 250K 2 day event which I had to qualify for. 47 players left blinds 500-3000-6000 I have 143k...double up to 300k. Down now to 22 players and im dealt AQ in the small blind..I come in for a raise to 3x and the BB flats. Flop is A 9 4 rainbow and I bet 70% of the pot. The bb min raises me and I call. Turn is J. I check and BB bets and I call. So I have BB on medium A maybe A9 so I feel like im still good maybe a little behind with the river to come. River J. I now have counterfieted his A9 and push all in. He calls showing AJ....Could I have done anything different on this hand? I just couldnt put him on AJ...

Posting a "strat" question with results is counter productive. You can't receive unbiased responses when the readers know how the hand ended and what villain had.As played it seems like a bit of a blind-vs-blind cooler. I think I'd rather 3bet the flop and get it in, but calling and letting him bluff off some chips could also be a great idea. If we go that route, I think we should c.c turn (as you did) and c.c river. Leading the river makes him fold all his bluffs, but perhaps he calls with enough A8 types hands that you think he may have to make up for it.

yeah i guess it's player dependent. if the guy clicks buttons then i like flatting the raise on the flop and letting him click more buttons on turn and river. but if he has a clue 3betting the flop may be best since our range is so polarized he may do something silly.

Don't think I like the river bet. I think check-calling is better. He's check raised the flop and bet out the turn. I don't think he's checking the river back. But he will fold his bluff if we shove. Although a lot of opponents would reraise with AJ in the BB, here, some will smooth call. Still by the river, it's just extremely unlikely he has AJ.

Man i really need to start reading hhs better. Didn't even notice the river donk . Yeah, don't do that. We are check/calling this river everytime. Not sure what you're trying to accomplish by jamming that river. He's folding basically his entire range when you open jam. Also potato, its miniscule but he didn't check/raise, his opponent minraised.

Thank you for your input. Looks like the consensis is that a cc on the river but I already had most of my chips in the pot by then and I put him on A9 giving me the conterfeit with AQ with AJJ on the board. Cooler it is.Thanks

Same result this time, but yes ... 3-bet the Flop and get your chips in while you are ahead of most hands. Maybe a bit more pre-Flop since you are OOP to BB for the hand as well ... again, probably the same results, but you will get more AJ to fold here depending on what has been 'standard' raises during this tournament. You wanted this match up, just got caught by the board.If you really want all your chips in the middle with a chance to win, then check-call or go over the top of any River bet as you are not going to be called by very many weaker holdings when the board pairs here against your shove.

Same result this time, but yes ... 3-bet the Flop and get your chips in while you are ahead of most hands. Maybe a bit more pre-Flop since you are OOP to BB for the hand as well ... again, probably the same results, but you will get more AJ to fold here depending on what has been 'standard' raises during this tournament. You wanted this match up, just got caught by the board.If you really want all your chips in the middle with a chance to win, then check-call or go over the top of any River bet as you are not going to be called by very many weaker holdings when the board pairs here against your shove.
What?

Not enough info on the villian.. but pre flop raise from my view is abit big.. mayb go for a smaller raise arnd 2.5.flop 40-50% pot achieves the same result as a 3/4 pot.id call the raise on the flop and let him bluff off his chips.. check call turn and reevalueate on the river.Can also 3 bet the flop and try and get it all in with the best of it.~Ank~

• 1 month later...

river is a c/f without reads here imo... I also much prefer a much smaller lead on the flop especially if there is any history or aggressive dynamic with the bb... if we lead like 40% pot we can come back over his raise small without looking so committed to the pot and hope for him to tool out if we want, and just makes decisions easier on later streets regardless...