You are btn with J10dd. $220 effective stacks. V is tricky Asian UTG+3. He raises to 12. 2 callers. You call and bb calls. Flop is Q95 rainbow. Checks to you. You bet 25. V calls. Turn 9. Check check. River K. V bets 50. What do you think?

OP, define "tricky asian" a bit better please. How bass-ackwards is his thinking? Is he a winning player due to aggression? luck? not? How often would he bluff here? How big of a raise is $12? I'm assuming a 1-2 game, is 6x about the standard open? bigger/smaller? previous opens by table/villan would help.48 pre, I think pre-flop, flop and turn are fine, river decision is up for debate right? 98 in there, he bets 50. What beats you?: KK, QQ, 99, 55, K9, Q9, 95I'm not sure how much "tricky" plays into this, but I'm eliminating KK, Q9 and 95 from consideration largely if they were straightforward. Why would an overpair, or 2 pr want to check call this flop?What do you beat that he could have that takes this line?AA, JJ, TT, would bet flop, I think he'd bet the turn as well. Same goes for Qx hands.That leaves AK, A9, JT, J9, KQ, bluffsSorry I'm new to posting hands; I'm pretty scattered and I don't know the math that well. You need 198:50 so you have to be right once in four times. I would think he's betting trips and two pair here way more often than value betting a full house, so I'd call most of the time here. My decision would change a bit if I knew the villian bets light here, half pot bet screams value bet, etc.

I think you are looking at a call most of the time ... and a win most of the time as well against AK, AQ, A9, KQ ... even KJ, K10, J9, 10-9 or 8-9suited. Your opponent may have been looking for a ck/raise on the Turn, but you didn't provide the opportunity to do so ... which was smart to do with your holdings, but didn't define your opponents hand either. At my 1-2 game AA, KK, QQ would be more pre-flop, but Q9, 99 or 55 might be in there AND all of the other hands I have listed are $7 to $15 preflop as well with quite a few players. This could also be a frustrated AJ, A10, A5 that thinks they can push you off your Queen with the King on the River.I am calling for sure ... then you get into who is your opponent and start thinking about a min raise or more. The looser and more passive of an opponent, the larger the raise ... I can even shove against some of my regular opponents and get calls with them holding 2-pair or trips. Tighter opponents deserve a min raise and the tightest just get the call. You are not going to get 55 or Q9 to fold since you didn't re-raise pre-Flop and they only lose to QQ or KK. If you get shoved against a min raise to $100, then you have a decision to make based on the opponent ... but you only have $80ish behind that you are calling into over $300 at that point ... and I have a lot of opponents holding trips that would shove a strong 9 as well as their full houses based on the lack of Turn action and my 'weak' min raise. Good luck and tell me what you think ...

• 2 months later...

My guess is K9 or A9 but without playing and knowing more on the player I am just guessing really. Plus, I am assuming that the turn and river weren't the same suit to put 3 to a flush out there.I can see a $12 raise with K9 (suited or non) or A9 (suited or non) in his position. The reason I say this is because he checked the flop even after the BB checked to him. I would guess he was scared of the flopped Q with you behind him. The check on the turn tells me he could be expecting you to bet things for his turned trips since you bet out on the flop. The bet on the river is a value bet because now that you checked he thinks $50 in to an $87 pot is the right amount that you will call. I like his amount on the river regardless of what he is holding. It's hard for you to fold here and since you took the line of betting the flop and just checking the turn, I believe you should have continued to bet the turn as well. Based on what he does after your turn bet will shed some light on what he might be holding. Plus, it disguises that you are on a draw.My guess is K9, A9 or stone cold bluff and due to the way the hand played out I believe you have to call. And you beat 2 of those 3 hands.The thing I feel you could have done differently is fire out on the turn and his next move would have helped you know where you were at.

• 2 weeks later...

Why check the turn? Fire another bullet, imo. Also, "tricky" could mean he likes to pump in chips with middle pair or a draw, so I dunno. Putting him on x9 is kind of sabotaging yourself even if he does have that holding.I'd call that 50 and say NH if he has a boat.

Faulty logic to follow:I'd like to think I'd be repping a 9 with a draw here. If he folds to a turn bet, I win. If he calls, I get to the river, which makes me a str8. I think that betting the turn shows strength, so if Mr Tricky bets hard into the river, I have a much better idea that he's got a boat, otherwise the check/check on the turn simply opens the door for a stone-cold bluff. Sure, he could have trips, but is Mr Tricky really opening with x9?On the other hand, this probably isn't some random hand. Mr Tricky probably has quads or, at least a boat, because people just don't post normal hands here, do they?I stand with my read, though, I don't think he's got a 9 in the hole and even if he does AND he pairs the board, it's unlikely he's opening with K9/Q9. If he does, he got pretty lucky: Pay the man and say NH.I think it's a bluff, but this isn't an exact science.

• 3 months later...