Random Religious Observations

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slavery totally wouldn't even be a problem if you would just be nice to them.
I actually don't think "slavery" would be that terrible if we lived in a world where all parties loved each other. Pretty much every single character in "Downton Abbey" is a slave, since they all live on premises serving the Duke or whatever. If people could pay for US citizenship through indentured servitude or slavery, even in the "real" world, I'm sure that millions of people (maybe a billion?) would sign up right now. (And the real world is far from anything resembling love in the employer-employee or slave-master relationships)
I actually don't think "slavery" would be that terrible if we lived in a world where all parties loved each other. Pretty much every single character in "Downton Abbey" is a slave, since they all live on premises serving the Duke or whatever. If people could pay for US citizenship through indentured servitude or slavery, even in the "real" world, I'm sure that millions of people (maybe a billion?) would sign up right now. (And the real world is far from anything resembling love in the employer-employee or slave-master relationships)
Ok, fine, you get both. facepalm.jpgspit_take.gif
i've been trying to tell people brvy is insane for years now.
But I'm one of those lovable crazies, right? Right, Suited?I think you guys drastically underestimate how many people in Detroit would like to work for a boss that was loving/nice to them while providing them with housing/education/food/healthcare/other stuff around a rich person's house. That isn't even considering the millions of people starving and dying from various diseases around the world.Don't even try to say that I'm suggesting that I'm pro-slavery, because I'm not. I'm simply pointing out that with the premise that the master is loving and gentle (in other words, not reality), millions of people would sign up today to have all their basic needs provided to them in exchange for working for some rich dude.
If they are signing up by choice, then its not slavery.
Historically speaking, that is inaccurate.(I'm off to make sure that the Greek language backs me up on that point.)
Historically speaking, that is inaccurate.(I'm off to make sure that the Greek language backs me up on that point.)
Not sure what you think slavery is if the slaves are free to work or not as they please.

Indentured servants weren't free to work or not either, and it was a choice they made.

It's funny because we were just talking about this at our atheist meeting the other day. Someone was reading a passage from Mein Kampf about the true meaning of slavery and after we all nodded thoughtfully in agreement Randy pointed out that Christianity was probably the biggest enslavement in history. But we kind of got cut off from the discussion because there was a knock at the door, and crow had to quickly hit the button that automatically flips over all the Mao posters to Dawkins posters. Turned out it was just the cleaning guy, haha, but we never really regained that train of thought.
Finally, someone gets it. Better to eat in slavery than starve in freedom.
Yep, better to live on your knees then die on your feet.
  • 2 weeks later...
Yeah I'm sure the mayor and the city council of Philadelphia are atheists.
Secular<> Atheist.although I know your side wish it did to boost your tiny numbers.
Secular<> Atheist.although I know your side wish it did to boost your tiny numbers.
I'm just saying your "secular government" vs. "christian community" is a false distinction. The government is made up of christians.