Seeing how you tweeted earlier that we can post any questions in this thread, I'm going to repost this one.Just to be clear, I like Ivey, and I think he was great for poker (maybe still is, time will tell). Every game or sport NEEDS a GOAT of some sorts. That being said, the reasons I think he is being (slightly) singled out compared to the rest of team FT, is because he OWES money to FTP. And he gives off a vibe (to fans that don't know him well) as being completely 100% emotionless. What was once a huge PRO to the Ivey "stigma" has now flip flopped into a CON. This is because he is more silent, and emotionless than ever. This coming at a time when everybody expected him to FINALLY stand up and be some type of a "leader."I also think hiding from American (or TV) poker scene for nearly a year did not help his cause. Compared to Lindgren, Siedel, and the rest of team FT, Ivey took the "unholy trinity" route and hid like just like they did. The uneducated and angry public will naturally lash out at the richest poker player who hid for a year. Who hid just like Lederer, Chris, and Bitar hid. Furthermore, I think that his "lawsuit" left an awful taste in uninformed fans mouths. They saw his lawsuit as a way to get their money back (just like Ivey did). When Ivey withdrew his lawsuit, he essentially let everybody down, and in doing so, he made FT customers feel hopeless ("if Ivey can't solve this than who will?") It's sad that people think this way, but it's a fact that they do.This is pure speculation on my part, but from closely watching this entire debacle unfold, this is how I feel about it. My last point is that Ivey did not help cause when people like Tom Dwan and Galfond offerred 1million each back to FT players while Ivey did nothing. Ivey IS cold as ice, and (as you said) has a killer extinct. These traits will never go away, this is just who he is. So, when someone like Ivey owes FT millions, and FT owes millions of people hundreds of millions of dollars, people tend to get mad. Which is why, at this point, the Ivey hate should not "boggle your mind."Just to be clear one last time, I am in no way trying to compare Ivey with the "unholy trinity." I think (or hope) he is completely innocent, I just think he could've handled the fallout [bWAY][/b] more intelligently. WHERE DO YOU STAND ON PHIL GORDON REGARDING THE FULL TILT DISASTER? IS MY IVEY/FTP THEORY:a) COMPLETELY NUTS? b)JUST A LITTLE BIT? c)OR NOT AT ALL?One last thing I want to make it clear that I lost zero money whatsoever on FT because I never played there.
No hate for Gordon in all this, wasn't his fault. You make some valid points about public perception and why some may deem Ivey to be a villain as well.
  • Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Age 17 for both. I just seem to have been really lucky with that hand when I'm running bluffs with it I seem to flop two pair or better A LOT!

Average player by definition would be 9-1. Above average player probably not any better than 4.5-1.

Do you back anyone? Do you think there is decent money to be made from backing players? Do you ever buy pieces of players?Estimate your ROI in EPT Monte Carlo €25k/€100kEstimate your ROI in WSOP MEIf

Daniel,Every year at 20th Century Fox Studios in Los Angeles, we hold a charity poker tournament to benefit the Mattel Children's Hospital at UCLA. Over the past several years, we've raised over a million dollars to support the hospital and the children they help. We'd love if you could donate some signed Poker merchandise (photo, card decks, etc...), and ideally a "poker lesson." Basically a lunch or dinner where you could discuss poker to be scheduled in Las Vegas at your convenience. This year's tourney was held two weeks ago, but it's never to early to get our silent auction goodies in line for next year.Please PM me if you're interested in helping this good cause. And good luck with the rest of your 2012 grind!Thanks!
Email my assistant pattylandis@hotmail.com
How old were you when you when you played your first poker hand, and when was the first time you played for money? Why is 10 7 your favorite hand (10 7)? Is there some meaning or are they just the random numbers?
Age 17 for both. I just seem to have been really lucky with that hand when I'm running bluffs with it I seem to flop two pair or better A LOT!
  • Like 1
This Saturday I am playing in my biggest ever live tourny. 100 players, 1st prize: fully sponsored seat @ this years WSOPME. Top ten get paid, but it is really a winner take all event (to support the fight against MS). Anyway, is there one piece of advice you can give me? Play tight aggressive? Be patient?
When in doubt be aggressive.
daniel. here is one thats baffled me. before black friday and the ftp scandal. there was poker after dark high stakes poker and many other shows on tv. and all the top stars were highly visible.after the shutdown of ftp. everything seemed to have gone dark. all the top poker stars seemed to have just vanished. all the poker shows were cancled or taken off the air.the only ones i see now are you doyle, and phil ivy. till recently with your rant, david and your popcorn moment. i about lost it. that was priceless.my question? why did most of the top names vanish, or suddenly go in to hiding? were there that many people involved with the ftp scandle?lastly, is there a place i can get info on a writeup on the details of what fully happened to expose this? would love to read up on it so i can know everything about it. i was just days away from making a deposit, when this went down. im so glad i got delayed in doing that. saved me alot of heartache.
Try www.wickedchopspoker.com www.pokernews.com or www.quadjacks.com the reason the shows got pulled is because the funding comes from online poker sites.
Danny Boy it would mean the world to me if you read this. If after the first paragraph you are bored and fed up with it's length I do not mind one bit if you stop. Just let me know what you think. I was shocked while watching your Vlog when you began talking about greatness and it was just trippy to me because just like a week or so ago I just randomly started writing about that topic sorta for my own enjoyment. Let me preface this by saying it is literally the first sorta article type thing I have ever written in my life so I know spelling, punctuation and all that stuff will be well below par(I think). I feel it's good content wise... but maybe it is terrible or just plain average... let me know... be my Simon Cowell. Oh and also, for parts of it I tried to write as if I was a real sports writer and then about half way through I just wanted to hammer out any last thoughts without worrying about using the absolute perfect wording or whatever.It's all about compete level... Why are those who are the best the best? Roger Federer got to be the best in the world by doing one thing no one else did as well as him...compete. Majority of the top athletes (among some other professions) possess the ability to be great... but the truly great, are not only the ones who are born with the natural ability to succeed, but the desire. It is interesting then, why the best can sometimes be beaten by others who are simply on a lower level... the answer is simply nothing other than compete level. Take Andy Roddick, he is lifetime something like 2-24 against R Fed, I'll touch more on that later. It is amazing that what it all boils down to in the end, is frame of mind. Once Roger Federer tied and then eventually broke the record for most majors to have ever been won, he then simply slipped almost over night to number 3 in the world. What was left for Roger to prove? Had he done anything and everything that anyone could have ever logically expected of him? Certainly. Could anyone have genuinely ever expected him to reach the heights that he had? Not a chance. So when he woke up the next day after surpassing the great Pete Sampras in Major wins... why continue to compete? He had reached the absolute greenest of pastures, and yet people seemed genuinely perplexed when he went on to lose major match after major match. The point was (or question rather), as long as Roger felt like he had done it all, how then, could he possibly have the same compete level of his peers like Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokivic going forward? These players just quite simply needed these victories a lot more. They too have that desire to someday prove to themselves that they are the best to have ever been, and the only way they could possibly prove that is to win more majors and hold more records than the man in the number 1 spot...which brings us back to Roger Federer. In the end what I am left wondering is, will Roger get back to that place where he was number 1 again... will he ever truly truly feel and I mean FEEL that NEED to get back to the top once again.As I write this I am watching Andy Roddick put up one hell of a fight against R-Fed. It has proven to me, that when a player who is more than capable comes into a situation(a match) and sets their mind to something(deeper than their opponent) that they will indeed find a way. (Andy Roddick went on to win the match) Now with this being said, not everyone in my mind is created equal...a man who was born to grow no taller than 3 feet is never going to beat Michael Jordan in a game of one on one. And that is precisely the point, to show that the professionals... the best of the best, are not always capable of being at their best. And the one who can be at their absolute best most consistantly, are the ones who in the end will be crowned the champion of champions. Sidney Crosby is a guy who is insanely talented, but I would be willing to bet that if they could somehow have a true gauge of pure talent... which would discount completely somebodies WILL to COMPETE and rather count only raw natural given ability, that Sid wouldn't even be in the top 5. His WILL to be the best however, with a combination of natural skill and talent, is what will and in fact does determine his place at the top of the mountain.I think that us mere mortals can never truly appreciate what it takes to literally have the mental stamina to become the best at something. I don't believe that being a great mother is along the same lines either... there are no 2 kids who are truly alike, and therefore you cannot give out letter grades for parents. It is however simple to say that there are people who are sincerely the undisputed best at what it is they do... and I am unsure if I can even begin to imagine what it really takes for someone to actually get to this point.Who is the best guitar player in the world? Depends on what you like. Who painted like no other? What is the Mona Lisa?Who built the greatest boat ever? Noah doesn't count...These are all questions that are completely unanswerable, however with a lot of sports, you can pretty genuinely begin to have these kind of conversations. And I believe that it is that very fact that drives the best to become so. I think that the only way Roger Federer will ever get back to the top, is if he can in the next few years before his body really starts to break down, is start to feel that burn from the likes of Rafa or Novak. If he ever truly can see that they really threaten to catch his place in history. Is Roger the type who is just happy at the end of his days to say... "Hey... you know what? At one point in time, I was the absolute greatest Tennis player to have ever lived. For those few years... I was truly the best the world had to offer." Or is Roger more of the type, that will always feel a little empty inside, if he is ever(in his lifetime) not considered the greatest who EVER lived.Take Phil Ivey, 99 % of all poker players agree that the World Series of Poker(WSOP) are the biggest and most important poker tournaments on planet earth. The Poker Worlds Stanley cup(s)... as there are more than one event. The best players on earth would gladly take a win of the main event of the WSOP for the 9 Million and the bracelet instead of say... 15 million in some random billionaires basement. This is undoubtedly the number one thing that is factored into the debate who is/who are/was the best poker player to have ever lived. Phil Ivey knows that he is already considered to be the best player on planet earth... and potentially to have ever lived... but how can he truly etch his name in that stone? How can he ensure that he is always remembered as such... by winning 200 million dollars in Bobbys room and across the globe? No... He needs the records... and trust me, he knows it. Even Ivey, who is known as much for his unwillingness to open up, as his ability to cypher off your chips, admits that he wants to own the record for most bracelets ever. He knows that no matter what anyone says or does... so long as his name is at number 1 on that list... no one can ever really be above him in that discussion. Again remember... it is to have ever lived... not living. Roger Federer will never beat a 20 yr old professional when he is the age of 90...and he won't care. Just as long as that same 20 yr old isn't holding 20 major trophies and thanking Rog for being such an inspiration.After reading these words consider Tiger Woods chase of Jack Nicholas Majors record...Will Tiger ever be fortunate enough to be looked at in the same light as Roger is now??? My hunch is that he has a few more things to prove. For these kind of guys, it is all that matters.Vegan19If you're tired of starting over... stop giving up.
I will take a look at it when I have some free time, it's a long one!
Daniel,What is your defenition of "Poker Talent"?Have you ever watched "I Bet You"?ThanksBrian
A natural feel and ability to adjust and change gears quickly. That's talent, Isildur is a good example. I haven't watched the show no.
Just wondering if your playing in the 4 million guarantee river tourney this year at Winstar? I believe Maria Ho is one of the host for this event. Theres always been a lot of big names at the event. The tourney is in August.Also, this will be my first year playing the Wsop. Playing 59a, bounty, and main. Everyone I talk to says youve got to grind it out. My question is should you be more aggressive early and tight late? Or pick your spots. I have personally found that at the start of tounrys a lot of players play really tight and I have been able to steal a lot of pots. What's your thoughts on that?ThanksKeven Aka flyy44Aka shaqsfeet
Always depends on your table. If they are too tight, punish them, if they are wild, wait for your spots.
Daniel,I came across you while wandering the halls at the Rio last summer at about 3 AM. You looked at us and then darted into some hall. Why were you running?!
I always use the backhalls during the WSOP...
DN,How much did you win in that 'break 80' golf bet we heard about?It was SHOOT 80 not break it. I won more than $250k and less than $750k :-)How many times have you broke 80 since? Shot 81 the very next round and haven't sniffed it since. I worked really hard that month, and haven't since.Bubba Watson or Tiger Woods?Bubba
Don't have a question Daniel. Just wanted to say hi. From Peterborough Ontario, just up the road from your old stomping grounds.Wanted to say I supported you with your rift with the "other" site.Had problems there myself today with know it all mods and young guys that live on the forums and have no other life. I asked for a self "life ban", so I decided to join you here.Hope all is well.Jim
Welcome sir :-)

Hey Daniel,I'm off to vegas next week and was wondering if you had any tips on food available in or near any of the strip poker rooms that is vegan friendly. I know you tend to pack a lunch, but was hoping you might have some tips anyway. Any other must eat places would also be appreciated.Kind of a lame first post, but thought you'd be the man to ask.Thanks,Steve

Hey Daniel,I'm off to vegas next week and was wondering if you had any tips on food available in or near any of the strip poker rooms that is vegan friendly. I know you tend to pack a lunch, but was hoping you might have some tips anyway. Any other must eat places would also be appreciated.Kind of a lame first post, but thought you'd be the man to ask.Thanks,Steve
Do you watch blue's clues?

What's your opinion on the WSOPc freeroll changes this year where instead of it being a $1m freeroll for top 100 pt earners, it is now a freeroll for them but top 100 pt earners in WSOP over last 2 years can buy in for $10k.Good for top pros but very bad for the WSOPc people?I know this year you are not in, but if you were, would you play it? It's day before WSOP ME, day 1a, and the FT is day 2c so the people who play would have to play day 1b.