By couching your response, you suggest that you discuss according to feelings rather than logic. It isn't trying to "err on the side of not being offensive." It is just not being offensive.
Yes, good luck with that one. There are people that make a very good living looking for things by which to be offended. Someone may be offended that you smoke and cause their insurance rates to be higher, or they may be offended that you fathered 4 children and don't support them and thus taxes are higher because society has to feed, cloth, and medicate your children. There are as many reasons to be offended as there are people. Like I said, don't go out of your way to make someone feel "offended". It has nothing to do with me arguing from feelings rather than logic. Things just aren't that cut and dry. No matter how black and white we want things to be there will always be a large swath of gray.
The second part just means nothing. No one is suggesting anyone get arrested for hate speech. If someone says "do unto others" in a classroom, no one is being arrested for hate speech. Now, if a "Christian" starts quoting bible verses specific to anti-homosexuality in a hateful or aggressive manner, I'm quite sure that the fact that the verses happen to be written in a religious text does not make them any less hateful.
There certainly are people who would arrest people for hate speech if they could. I grant you no one on this thread is suggesting that. If anyone spouts anti-anything in an aggressive hateful manner, that doesn't make the source of what they're spouting any more or less anything.
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, good luck with that one. There are people that make a very good living looking for things by which to be offended. Someone may be offended that you smoke and cause their insurance rates to be higher, or they may be offended that you fathered 4 children and don't support them and thus taxes are higher because society has to feed, cloth, and medicate your children. There are as many reasons to be offended as there are people. Like I said, don't go out of your way to make someone feel "offended". It has nothing to do with me arguing from feelings rather than logic. Things just aren't that cut and dry. No matter how black and white we want things to be there will always be a large swath of gray. There certainly are people who would arrest people for hate speech if they could. I grant you no one on this thread is suggesting that. If anyone spouts anti-anything in an aggressive hateful manner, that doesn't make the source of what they're spouting any more or less anything.
I can't think of any way to respond to this that isn't just insulting you. None of the above came even close to addressing my post. Unless your goal was an exercising in saying as little as possible, I believe you have failed. You couched this shit so hard, I think I'll call you Kurt from now on. I was hoping that by stepping out of my political forum box and actually writing something that wasn't just transposed spittle I might get a reasonable answer. Disappointed. Guess I'll go back to spittle.
I can't think of any way to respond to this that isn't just insulting you. None of the above came even close to addressing my post. Unless your goal was an exercising in saying as little as possible, I believe you have failed. You couched this shit so hard, I think I'll call you Kurt from now on. I was hoping that by stepping out of my political forum box and actually writing something that wasn't just transposed spittle I might get a reasonable answer. Disappointed. Guess I'll go back to spittle.
My first response was going to be: Yes, maybe it would be best if you just STFU. But after giving it some thought, you don't seem like that bad a guy. Your probably not as big a prick in real life as you seem online. (I know I'm not) :club: I say Schools(and people in general) should err on the side of not being offensive. To clarify, in more than a few cases these days it is hard not be offensive because some people are so easily offended. There are some obvious things that most everyone finds offensive. There are others that are a little more ambiguous. Then there are some things that only the perpetually aggrieved find offensive. My point was it is best not to do things that people will definitely find offensive. It is also a good idea not to do things that may be perceived as offensive. You said this: By couching your response, you suggest that you discuss according to feelings rather than logic. It isn't trying to "err on the side of not being offensive." this is simply silly, and has nothing to do with anything. You then say: It is just not being offensive. Then in you next post you accuse me of not actually responding to your post. Sorry, but who isn't actually responding here.
My first response was going to be: Yes, maybe it would be best if you just STFU. But after giving it some thought, you don't seem like that bad a guy. Your probably not as big a prick in real life as you seem online. (I know I'm not) :club: I say Schools(and people in general) should err on the side of not being offensive. To clarify, in more than a few cases these days it is hard not be offensive because some people are so easily offended. There are some obvious things that most everyone finds offensive. There are others that are a little more ambiguous. Then there are some things that only the perpetually aggrieved find offensive. My point was it is best not to do things that people will definitely find offensive. It is also a good idea not to do things that may be perceived as offensive. You said this: By couching your response, you suggest that you discuss according to feelings rather than logic. It isn't trying to "err on the side of not being offensive." this is simply silly, and has nothing to do with anything. You then say: It is just not being offensive. Then in you next post you accuse me of not actually responding to your post. Sorry, but who isn't actually responding here.
Good for you for being the bigger man. That looks sarcastic, but isn't. I am a super nice guy. Hell, I'm even nice on these forums...just not the political one.Anyway, what you said is probably true, but I don't think you addressed my point. I provided an example and called it offensive. You said schools should err on the side of not being offensive, which is true, but kind of an irrelevant general statement.So here we are, discussing our discussion. BORING. I'm sure we'll all be happy to move on to the next point.
Good for you for being the bigger man. That looks sarcastic, but isn't. I am a super nice guy. Hell, I'm even nice on these forums...just not the political one.Anyway, what you said is probably true, but I don't think you addressed my point. I provided an example and called it offensive. You said schools should err on the side of not being offensive, which is true, but kind of an irrelevant general statement.So here we are, discussing our discussion. BORING. I'm sure we'll all be happy to move on to the next point.
Fair enough, I just saw where you called BG a racist, sexist, and bigot all in one post :club: over in the Exploitation thread, I guess I will hang out over there for a while.
Oh, if you include non-religious DEIST, you can get the atheist number close to 20%I bet if you include Catholics you could really pad the numbers.And it does not surprise me that a liberal hippy from California wishes we were more like France.
oops!
Gallup classifies 40% of Americans nationwide as very religious — based on their statement that religion is an important part of their daily life and that they attend religious services every week or almost every week. Another 32% of Americans are nonreligious, based on their statement that religion is not an important part of their daily life and that they seldom or never attend religious services. The remaining 28% of Americans are moderately religious, because they say religion is important but that they do not attend services regularly or because they say religion is not important but still attend services.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/153479/Mississi...ious-State.aspx

I want to point that out again because it’s a huge freaking deal.Nearly a third of our country can be categorized as nonreligious. A THIRD! That is the highest number I’ve ever seen describing the “nones.” Just to be clear, they’re not all atheists — I’m sure some would call themselves “spiritual but not religious” and many of them still wrongly believe in some higher power — but organized religion doesn’t have a stranglehold on their lives. That’s an incredible number.

I want to point that out again because it’s a huge freaking deal.Nearly a third of our country can be categorized as nonreligious. A THIRD!That is the highest number I’ve ever seen describing the “nones.” Just to be clear, they’re not all atheists — I’m sure some would call themselves “spiritual but not religious” and many of them still wrongly believe in some higher power — but organized religion doesn’t have a stranglehold on their lives. That’s an incredible number.
haha.
haha.
I love it when certain arguments go on for so long that one side inadvertently agrees with the other's original point.Cane: Atheists are 19% of the population.BG: lol what?VB: If you include non-religious deists, it's about 20%.BG: Well, yeah, you could get that number even higher if you include other things that aren't actually atheist.Bones: 32% say religion isn't an important part of their daily lives!BG and Bones: *high five!*Edit: Of course, I don't even remember why this was something we were arguing about.
I love it when certain arguments go on for so long that one side inadvertently agrees with the other's original point.Cane: Atheists are 19% of the population.BG: lol what?VB: If you include non-religious deists, it's about 20%.BG: Well, yeah, you could get that number even higher if you include other things that aren't actually atheist.Bones: 32% say religion isn't an important part of their daily lives!BG and Bones: *high five!*Edit: Of course, I don't even remember why this was something we were arguing about.
hummm..look guy...cliffs, see....they are kind of my thing......so...you know....stick to stirring things then leaving, cause that's your thing!
oops!
Gallup classifies 40% of Americans nationwide as very religious — based on their statement that religion is an important part of their daily life and that they attend religious services every week or almost every week. Another 32% of Americans are nonreligious, based on their statement that religion is not an important part of their daily life and that they seldom or never attend religious services. The remaining 28% of Americans are moderately religious, because they say religion is important but that they do not attend services regularly or because they say religion is not important but still attend services.
ooops! indeed.Atheist: Hey our numbers are a joke, I mean if religion had this small of numbers we would ignore them as irrelevant.Atheist 2: I know, let's hire this spinster from the DNC.Spinster: It's all in the way you massage numbers...now how high do you need to be to be remotely relevant?Atheist: at least 30%Spinster: Yea...that's going to be tougher than trying to spin that the SC dumping Obamacare will help the president get re-elected.Atheist 2: Well actually...Atheist: Drop it! Look we need to have some form of relevance to pretend we aren't just parasites on society, can you help us or not?Spinster: Welll, if you include people that only go to church sometimes and call them atheists....Atheist 2: It's perfect!Spinster: Okay, here's my billAtheist: Anyway we can get the government to pay for this? Cause you know we aren't that committed to our cause.
First, take a big step back... and literally, FUCK YOUR OWN FACE! I don't know what kind of FCP bullshit power play you're trying to pull here, but cliffs is my territory. So whatever you're thinking, you'd better think again! Otherwise I'm gonna have to head down there and I will rain down in a Godly fucking firestorm upon you! You're gonna have to call the fucking United Nations and get a fucking binding resolution to keep me from fucking destroying you. I'm talking about a scorched earth, motherfucker! I will massacre you! I WILL FUCK YOU UP!
That's how I read that.But no, I don't think I'm going to do that.