We shall see. I'm more interested in The Voice at this stage.
who ya got so far? I really am liking it. Some of their picks are surprising. I was hoping they would get to choose from some of the rejects like last year. I really like the Mickey mouse club guy. Bradley Cooper opera boy might be a sleeper if he can sing something contemporary. Don't remember many of the others. Its getting good though.
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My pick early on is Colton Dixon. He is cute, the girls will go crazy for him, he can belt, and he might become the straight (?) version of Adam Lambert and take it home.
I liked Colton last year.
I don't know if he was one of the guys you mentioned, but I liked that one guy with the kinda mohawk thing going who played the keyboard during his solo audition. He seemed pretty good.
Out of the people that made it into "America's" top 10, not many stand out as having star potential. Heejun is adorable and funny but his voice won't cut it for long. Hollie, Jessica and Shannon are all ballad queens who will fall down on versatility during theme weeks (Out of the three, Jessica has the best lungs). Jermaine the "gentle giant" is boring and soporific. Joshua the gospel guy has a great voice but I question who his audience is. Phillip Phillips doesn't capture the imagination; if he wins it'll be the same road as Kris Allen and we'll all forget about him within a year.Who has a shot? Skylar's boundless country girl energy reminds me of the blonde country girl from last season, so maybe she'll draw the country vote and make it deep. Elise has the most distinctive voice out of the girls and she can play piano, but with good song choices she might do well.
I pretty much agree with everything you said, except I think Jessica isn't just a ballad queen. I have no evidence to the contrary, but she just seemed actually talented to me. Also, good lord are these judges useless. I mean, like even more so than usual.I think Jimmy Iovine knew who was going to make it and who was getting cut and tailored his comments to fit that. Edit: Although I did mostly agree with him, so...I guess that's kind of arrogant for me to think that, huh?
who ya got so far? I really am liking it. Some of their picks are surprising. I was hoping they would get to choose from some of the rejects like last year. I really like the Mickey mouse club guy. Bradley Cooper opera boy might be a sleeper if he can sing something contemporary. Don't remember many of the others. Its getting good though.
I can't remember all the battles match-ups but..Adley Stump vs Raelynn - I hated Adley just for her stupid hair. Also her dumb name sticks in the mind. I didn't think she was a great singer. Neither is Raelynn but she is pretty and cutesy so I gave her the edge. She sings in a pretty annoyingly over-stylised way though. Didn't like either but then again I hate country music.2 black guys - Both very good singers, I agreed with the eventual choice.Opera guy vs pretty girl Monique Benabou or something - I really thought Monique hit it out of the park and couldn't believe they put through the opera guy who is not only a huge tool but didn't even sing that well to my ears.Jordis Unga vs Brian rocker guy - I dug Brian in the rehearsals but he totally faded into the background in the sing off so I got why Jordis made it in. Don't see her anywhere near the finals but you never know.Chessa vs Angie - I hate Chessa's personality (she's the chubby young Asian looking girl) and thought she was lucky in that her parts in the song were bigger moments. Angie had a great voice and personality but couldn't really compete since she didn't have a comparable high note or whatever. Still she wouldn't have won anyway so I guess it doesn't matter. Neither will Chessa though.Mickey Mouse vs other guy - I gave it to other guy easily and was surprised they too Mouseketeer. Really surprisedI'm missing a few people I think. Disappointing mentors: Babyface (they obviously didn't recognise him), Jewel (is she really big in the US? She never made it over here), I can't even remember some of the others. You obv want Lionel or Kelly though, and Alanis probably. Neyo I can take or leave. Miranda is a'ight. I'm missing one.

If that was done off of memory, you are more fantastic than I remember. I agreed with everything you wrote, surprisingly. That many battles and I take no issue with your calls. Wait, the first one, the annoying hick with the up do. I thought she killed the young girl, sang her off the stage. The judges seem to like quirky. Rocker guy was super weak

lmao, I bet the producers are loving the fact the judges brought him back.apparently "the gentle giant" likes himself a little violence and lying to the popoaeeKBhH9d5gknHlbM5B3.png

• 2 weeks later...

Revisiting my first impressions:

Fat Mexican guy? 0 star potential, very ordinary voice, nothing unique or memorable about him. No chance of making it to the finals. OutLong curly haired falsetto guy? So 90s. Not current or relevant at all. Terence Trent D'Arby already happened, nobody cares anymore. Bottom 3 regular, I think out in the next few weeksErica Van Pelt? Chubbier, poor man's Kelly Clarkson wannabe. Great voice for a wedding singer or a karaoke hero. OutOut of the people that made it into "America's" top 10, not many stand out as having star potential. Heejun is adorable and funny but his voice won't cut it for long. I still stand by this, love him and really enjoyed his performance this weekHollie, Jessica and Shannon are all ballad queens who will fall down on versatility during theme weeks (Out of the three, Jessica has the best lungs)Still think Jessica has the best chance, Shannon is out and I don't see Hollie in the finals, she is too young and generic. Jermaine the "gentle giant" is boring and soporific. And a criminal, apparentlyJoshua the gospel guy has a great voice but I question who his audience is. I still feel that he is a good church singer but not a chart singer, so he might end up in the finals or even win but his career won't be in the top 40. Phillip Phillips doesn't capture the imagination; if he wins it'll be the same road as Kris Allen and we'll all forget about him within a year. I don't even remember his song this week. He is kinda coasting through in the middle of the pack at this point, he needs to step it upWho has a shot? Skylar's boundless country girl energy reminds me of the blonde country girl from last season, so maybe she'll draw the country vote and make it deep. She seems very consistent at this point and has more personality than most of the contestants. Still has a good shot Elise has the most distinctive voice out of the girls and she can play piano, but with good song choices she might do well. I still like Elise's voice best out of the women but it's all about song choice for her. I hope she finds an audience but I don't see her winning. She's like a Haley Reinhart figure, might make it far but not all the way.My pick early on is Colton Dixon. He is cute, the girls will go crazy for him, he can belt, and he might become the straight (?) version of Adam Lambert and take it home. Colton is still my bet to win
On another note, I was really disappointed with The Voice battles in the last episode. I thought the judges made some terrible decisions.Pip vs Nathan - Pip was way more confident and charismatic, easy choiceShields Brothers vs Erin - Erin tries far too hard to be different and edgy, it's really annoying. I thought the Shields Bros had it, really surprised that they were oustedJonathas vs Ashley - 2 weak acts, I thought they were as boring as each otherJermaine vs Alex - The song choice was so much more suited to Jermaine, it was his to lose and not surprising at all that he took itAngel vs Katrina - I was happy with the choice of Katrina. She is the only really different looking contestantGwen vs Erin - I loved this duet, it sounded great, and I thought Gwen sounded much more individual and stood out to me. Surprised they went with Erin, but she did have the sob story behind her so maybe that played into itI also didn't post my thoughts on the week before. I was disappointed with the choice of old Diana Ross woman over the young ginger girl, and 'rocker' Juliet Simms over the guy who I thought was way better and more interesting. A few other dodgy choices that episode too.There are some songs which AI/The Voice have really introduced me to or given me better appreciation of e.g.Stay With Me - Rod Stewart : I would never have listened to this but I've heard it sung a few times on these shows now and it gets in my headBelong to the Night : Don't know who did this originally but loved the duet of this as I said aboveMy Life - Billy Joel : Can't remember what it's really called but I recognised that song and I loved Heejun's performance of it. I want to hear it again now.
Wait, you actually liked the most recent Heejun performance?
Yeah probably mainly because I liked the song, but I thought it was fun and enjoyable and I liked him doing uptempo instead of another bland, sentimental ballad.

This is my first year watching idol and the voice since the kids for the first time wanted to watch - I actually like both shows so I guess I've missed out.For idol, Phillip, Josh, Hollie and Jessica are my favorites although I think that Colton and Skylar have a better chance of winning (agree with LG's analysis). Heejun, Deandre and Elise will probably go next - the first two because they are overmatched and Elise because she gets put in the bottom three a lot (last week was the first time she didn't and only because she did a great job - one mediocre performance and she's back at the bottom).As for the voice, too many contestants left - I can barely remember this week's episode. I did think that the Shields brothers should have won their match. I was glad that Katrina won - she really surprised me on the Leona Lewis song. OUt of the previous battles, I just remember the one on the first episode between Jessie (single dad) and Anthony? (Pastor's son). I thought they were both great and thought it sucked putting them against each other - the loser would probably have beaten many of the others in Christina's group.All the losers seem like good sports after they lose although I guess that they know they are on live TV - I saw Alyx's tweets afterwards and she wasn't happy.

I'm throwing in the towel with American idol. The judges have nothing to say and none of the contestants are good enough to make me keep watching. I'm not sure if the contestants are worst, or if I'm just tired of the show after seeing so many seasons. It has been also making me crazy when the judges praise the contestants when they don't listen to the mentors.I'm still watching the voice. I think one of Christina's singers is going to win.

My favorites after tonight:PhillipEliseColtonJessicaMy least favorites:The judges. Especially Randy.

Revisiting my first impressions: Long curly haired falsetto guy? So 90s. Not current or relevant at all. Terence Trent D'Arby already happened, nobody cares anymore. Bottom 3 regular, I think out in the next few weeksOut of the people that made it into "America's" top 10, not many stand out as having star potential. Heejun is adorable and funny but his voice won't cut it for long. I still stand by this, love him and really enjoyed his performance this weekHollie, Jessica and Shannon are all ballad queens who will fall down on versatility during theme weeks (Out of the three, Jessica has the best lungs) Still think Jessica has the best chance, Shannon is out and I don't see Hollie in the finals, she is too young and generic. Joshua the gospel guy has a great voice but I question who his audience is. I still feel that he is a good church singer but not a chart singer, so he might end up in the finals or even win but his career won't be in the top 40. Phillip Phillips doesn't capture the imagination; if he wins it'll be the same road as Kris Allen and we'll all forget about him within a year. I don't even remember his song this week. He is kinda coasting through in the middle of the pack at this point, he needs to step it upWho has a shot? Skylar's boundless country girl energy reminds me of the blonde country girl from last season, so maybe she'll draw the country vote and make it deep. She seems very consistent at this point and has more personality than most of the contestants. Still has a good shot Elise has the most distinctive voice out of the girls and she can play piano, but with good song choices she might do well. I still like Elise's voice best out of the women but it's all about song choice for her. I hope she finds an audience but I don't see her winning. She's like a Haley Reinhart figure, might make it far but not all the way.My pick early on is Colton Dixon. He is cute, the girls will go crazy for him, he can belt, and he might become the straight (?) version of Adam Lambert and take it home. Colton is still my bet to win
I'm going to go in the order they went last night.Colton is alright and he'll probably get pretty far, but I don't see the Lambert connection. I don't think he's nearly as confident and it kind of shows in his performances.Ok, maybe I'm not going to go in last night's order because I've already forgotten it.Sooo....Long haired curly falsetto guy is awful. He finally reached fast forward status for me about halfway through last night. It was a long time coming. I hope he's the one who gets cut tonight. Beyond the singing I hate...um, I hate the way he moves. I can't pinpoint anything in particular (well, besides the hair flip), but he's just blech.Heejun is the best. Not best singer. He's probably going to get cut soon and then I'll fire up the Shawshank quote about birds not being meant to be caged and then I'll move on.Hollie reminds me of the good AI singers in the early years. Can sing, but doesn't really do anything on stage. Jessica is next generation AI who seems to have grown up on this shit. I think she's probably the best of the group, but don't think she's a lock to win or anything.Joshua is the male Fantasia. He'll go out around 5th or 6th place and the judges will be shocked.Phillip Phillips will win because he's the type of person who wins American Idol now. Last four winners: Scotty McCreery, Lee Dewyze, Kris Allen, David Cook. Skyler is fun. Such a little ball of energy. Elise is pretty good, but I don't care for her dismissive attitude about all the advice she gets. She really got the full production value last night though, so I guess the producers are trying to keep her around a little longer.Other thoughts:Randy is awful, but that's not exactly breaking new ground. Steven Tyler is just collecting a paycheck at this point. J-Lo sometimes says something useful? I don't know; she's nice to look at.I actually care about what Jimmy Iovine has to say.Tommy Hilfiger might be more useless than Randy and Steven. How much money is he paying to be on the show?
I'm going to go in the order they went last night.Colton is alright and he'll probably get pretty far, but I don't see the Lambert connection. I don't think he's nearly as confident and it kind of shows in his performances.Ok, maybe I'm not going to go in last night's order because I've already forgotten it.Sooo....Long haired curly falsetto guy is awful. He finally reached fast forward status for me about halfway through last night. It was a long time coming. I hope he's the one who gets cut tonight. Beyond the singing I hate...um, I hate the way he moves. I can't pinpoint anything in particular (well, besides the hair flip), but he's just blech.Heejun is the best. Not best singer. He's probably going to get cut soon and then I'll fire up the Shawshank quote about birds not being meant to be caged and then I'll move on.Hollie reminds me of the good AI singers in the early years. Can sing, but doesn't really do anything on stage. Jessica is next generation AI who seems to have grown up on this shit. I think she's probably the best of the group, but don't think she's a lock to win or anything.Joshua is the male Fantasia. He'll go out around 5th or 6th place and the judges will be shocked.Phillip Phillips will win because he's the type of person who wins American Idol now. Last four winners: Scotty McCreery, Lee Dewyze, Kris Allen, David Cook. Skyler is fun. Such a little ball of energy. Elise is pretty good, but I don't care for her dismissive attitude about all the advice she gets. She really got the full production value last night though, so I guess the producers are trying to keep her around a little longer.Other thoughts:Randy is awful, but that's not exactly breaking new ground. Steven Tyler is just collecting a paycheck at this point. J-Lo sometimes says something useful? I don't know; she's nice to look at.I actually care about what Jimmy Iovine has to say.Tommy Hilfiger might be more useless than Randy and Steven. How much money is he paying to be on the show?
I pretty much agree with everything you say including your LG Comments. Only disagreement is while Falsetto Guy stinks and should go soonest possible, he did nail it last night. Hit a couple of nice runs at the end of the song. Also, really hoping PP doesn't win. He isn't talentless, I just don't like looking at him perform. But I'm not a Dave Matthews fan either.
Heejun is the best. Not best singer. He's probably going to get cut soon and then I'll fire up the Shawshank quote about birds not being meant to be caged and then I'll move on.
Sometimes it makes me sad, though... Heejun being gone. I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up DOES rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend.
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm still on Phillip, but I didn't like his song this week at all. Colton was miles better than him. Overall, Colton is now my solid #2. I also like Elise and to a lesser degree Jessica.Holly needs to go next, followed by Joshua.

I didn't think Jessica Sanchez was worth saving, she's not unique enough.
I agree.

Colton is the most professional sounding of all them imo. So I guess I'm rooting for him.I really like Joshua's voice, but I don't see him doing well in the mainstream even if he did somehow win, and I think he overdoes it way to much. There's really nothing subtle about any of his performances.The one thing I really like about Jessica in comparison to some of the previous female power vocalists on the show, is that she isn't stuck on singing ballads every week. I find Hollie to be extremely boring. I can't really comment on her vocals, because I usually change the channel when she sings.Still trying to figure out why the judges love Elise so much.Skylar's voice is easily one of the most annoying voices I've ever heard. It reminds of when me and my other country music hating friends would sing songs in a very exaggerated country twang. However, she does hit all the right notes, so I guess that's one thing she's got going for her.I still don't like Phillip, but I don't hate him as much as I did earlier in the thread. I think more than his vocals, I'm just getting tired of his whole, "I'm too cool for this show" attitude.

I was surprised at this elimination, it was clearly just a bad week for him. I think had the judges kept their save and used it on him he mighta gone on to win. That said, **** changing the words to "He's all I need" etc. Get your Godloving off my ****ing screen. Go pray and cry with that little blonde girl from the X Factor (Reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DOEtfhUU-M). Christians are not the underdog, it's not some huge ****in deal for you to "come out" as Christian on TV and dedicate all your lameass ballads to "Him". Argrghrgrh.The judges are unduly harsh on Elise and I think that affects the vote. I don't like that Alicia Keys song she sang, but I thought she did pretty good with the Marvin one.Phil Phil had a good week but he is starting to get cocky.Hollie also had a good week but I don't believe she has that star power, she just comes across to young and nervous to be a superstar at this point. Jessica just doesn't have the personality to win people over no matter how good her voice is.Joshua also bores me even though he sings well.Right now I guess Phil Phil is front running? Weird times. I think he looks really creepy when he's performing.

I was surprised at this elimination, it was clearly just a bad week for him. I think had the judges kept their save and used it on him he mighta gone on to win. That said, **** changing the words to "He's all I need" etc. Get your Godloving off my ****ing screen. Go pray and cry with that little blonde girl from the X Factor (Reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DOEtfhUU-M). Christians are not the underdog, it's not some huge ****in deal for you to "come out" as Christian on TV and dedicate all your lameass ballads to "Him". Argrghrgrh.
Wasn't the song he was singing at the end a church worship song?
Right now I guess Phil Phil is front running? Weird times. I think he looks really creepy when he's performing.
Phillip Phillips will win because he's the type of person who wins American Idol now. Last four winners: Scotty McCreery, Lee Dewyze, Kris Allen, David Cook.
I've kinda lost the capacity to care about this show this season.