how do you handle the fish?

Hello all...I'm in the middle of a BAD run right now...and it seems like 90% of the time I have the better hand against the fish (I know...sob story) and they're getting me. I will also admit that I have a few leaks to plug myself as I haven't been making enough "good folds" lately.That being said, how do you generally adjust for a loose-passive game? Do you tend to tighten up or maybe limp in with a few more drawing hands, suited connectors, etc.? I'm always back and forth on this one. Generally I play tighter on tables like these. It also seems like position isn't as important in loose-passive games. I'm one who tends to NOT like to play pots out of position. Any suggestions?Thanks,Jason

I _only_ play against fish where possible (i hunt doewn good tables). I play super tight and then let them go agressive on their draws. I do have downswings, but my upswings make it SO worth it :club:

Well its actually pretty easy to handle a fish cause they just do what you do...if you got nothing check, from what Ive seen more often then not theyll check. If you got something put some money in theyll put the same amount. All fish are are copy cats dont make plays at them cause theyll just play along with you

Well its actually pretty easy to handle a fish cause they just do what you do...if you got nothing check, from what Ive seen more often then not theyll check. If you got something put some money in theyll put the same amount. All fish are are copy cats dont make plays at them cause theyll just play along with you
i had a home tournament tonight--LOW stakes--where a new player called all in bets and won at least 7 times, each time entering with the statistically losing hand. i myself was eliminated by this guy's ridiculous outdraw.needless to say, i encouraged him to come back next weekend.

yea that tends to happen but that goes to show what I said you put the money in so will they, unbluffable...but it gets very old very quicklyI was at a tourney today there were 2 limpers in early position (total fish) and I found myself with KK on th ebutton and I raised them 4x the BB I got 2 callers the flopKh, Qh, Ah...I liked and disliked the flop they both checked it to me so I had to pot it then I got 2 callers...lame...turn4cthen the first bet the other called and I reluctantly calledriver9 diamondsone checked the other bet I called and so did the other1st guy hadAc 2d10h 5h (flush)I asked why did he callthe great fish answer...everyone can say it with me...CAUSE THEY WERE SUITEDohh well theres no point in crying when you have no one to cry with...I will live another day

:wink: last night I was playing on one table with 3 fish (one with %78 VP$IP , other 2 were in the 40-50 range with 100+ hands) I got hammered for a while. And just gave them compliments on great hands........Then I reached over and gutted 2 of them.... my comment... "boy ... did I get lucky" :twisted:

Bad Beat Section is somewhere else for a reason... :DNo if you're going through a bad run post some trouble hands in strategy and don't post the results. I'm having a bad run right now as well, getting close to 200 BB downswing... We'll see if it changes today.I shouldn't complain though because prior to this I was averaging 8 BB/100 over 3500 hands... What comes around goes around.

That being said, how do you generally adjust for a loose-passive game?
I buy a bigger wallet. In the long run, loose-passive tables mean big returns without a ton of work. Short-term variance can make them a bit frustrating, but if you can take the long view the rewards are very worthwhile.
Do you tend to tighten up or maybe limp in with a few more drawing hands, suited connectors, etc.? I'm always back and forth on this one. Generally I play tighter on tables like these.
Poker is about making money off your opponents mistakes. Loose-passive opponents are making a fairly huge mistake by playing lots of hands and not exploiting the good ones. In general, you win big on these kinds of tables by being aggressive, getting the money in when you're most likely to win (which often means you have the best draw rather than the best hand right now). Generally, if you're not playing suited connectors and relatively big unsuited connectors, you're missing out on money-making opportunities, but whether you're more comfortably playing tight or loose the important factors are being aggressive when you've got the best of it and dumping the hand when the odds aren't there.If you do play more drawing hands, make sure they're big draws. The bottom end of a straight is a very bad place to be in a loose game, get out if your medium-low two pair is counterfeited by a board pair, low flushes are pretty dangerous, and so on.
It also seems like position isn't as important in loose-passive games. I'm one who tends to NOT like to play pots out of position. Any suggestions?
Position is still important, you just use it to add value rather than to intimidate. And since it's loose-passive, late position raises can buy free cards, since passive players often have "check to the raiser" tattooed on the inside of their eyelids.I have a feeling you're just looking at short-term results where you had a bad run and letting that affect you. The idea that all your poker is just one long session applies most strongly to loose-passive games, individual session results are just blips. Trust in the law of large numbers and play a mathematically solid game, and you'll come out ahead in the long run.
i'd be pretty mad if I put in $25, and he only puts in $12 :club:

Hello all...Thanks for all your input...and especially for the reminder that this is a LONG-TERM game we're playing here. Right now I'm headed for my first losing month in six months but hopefully I can turn it around.Oh, and I guess I need to go re-read SSHE....Thanks again...

I suggest playing NL. The problem with fish at limit is that you can't isolate them, in NL this is quite easy and you can get all of your money in with the best of it against a total f ish, whereas that can't happen in limit.