Deist And Libertarian Defense

OK I will keep playing along for Brv's entertainment. It's like the hook shot joke, it just doesn't make sense to me. Faith doesn't equal concrete proof. It's just a strong belief in something. I have a strong belief that the Wings will win tonight but that won't make it so. Thus if speedz decides to strongly believe there is a heaven it won't just make it so. None of us will know regardless of our faith until we die who is right and who is wrong. I guess my other issue is why do some people care so much what other people think. I don't know what I think yet. BG seems to have his belief and that is cool. Good for him. But it seems he spends a lot of time worrying about what others believe. Do you get additional perks in the alleged afterlife for getting people to believe? I read this forum a lot. Probably more than I should. I find it all very interesting. I am not on one side completely but I am in a talkative mood today and that little dialogue interested me.
Don't take my laughter at what you said in a negative way. I just thought it was funny how you said it. I like you Steve.Also, I agree with you that faith doesn't equal concrete proof of anything.It is interesting that you used BG as an example here though, because it's MUCH more strange that Randy Reed and Spade care what others think. It's especially weird that Spade cares enough to start a thread to discuss it, since he hates all people and thinks everyone, except him and a few people on the atheist forum he frequents, are complete idiots. So why care enough to discuss anything with them, let alone care about their "misguided" beliefs.BG, on the other hand, believes that Jesus is the only way to heaven and desires other people to get to heaven also. It has nothing to do with him personally gaining anything. He just doesn't want other people to find out the truth when it's too late.
  • Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't take my laughter at what you said in a negative way. I just thought it was funny how you said it. I like you Steve.Also, I agree with you that faith doesn't equal concrete proof of anything.It is interesting that you used BG as an example here though, because it's MUCH more strange that Randy Reed and Spade care what others think. It's especially weird that Spade cares enough to start a thread to discuss it, since he hates all people and thinks everyone, except him and a few people on the atheist forum he frequents, are complete idiots. So why care enough to discuss anything with them, let alone care about their "misguided" beliefs.BG, on the other hand, believes that Jesus is the only way to heaven and desires other people to get to heaven also. It has nothing to do with him personally gaining anything. He just doesn't want other people to find out the truth when it's too late.
BG is a believer. So that interests me more because I am...more a non believer I guess. I guess I am in the middle these days whereas years back I might have been Randy so I don't necessarily need to ask Randy. Spade scares me so I just ignore that. But I just find it interesting and I read a lot of this forum and think about it to myself because I understand my limits and don't want to post looking too much like a fool. I fail at that sometimes though.
I concur with everything that brv said.Well, except the "I like you Steve" part. Because fuck that guy, right?Jokes!
Yeah, what a douche that dick is.
None of us will know regardless of our faith until we die who is right and who is wrong.
Actually I think it's very likely that death won't reveal anything. If, for example, there's nothingness after death, you won't know it. You'll have the same amount of consciousness and understanding as you did before you were conceived. Or if, upon death, you enter into some infinite, presently-unknowable universal consciousness, you still won't recognize the answer because your ego and unique consciousness will no longer exist. Of course, if it turns out that precisely one of the world's many religions is pretty much spot on, then us non-believers (and believers of the wrong religions) will know cuz the devil or whoever will be all "lol u shoulda prayed to [fill in correct god(s) here], now you're mine biatch!"
oh come on brvy. we've all been around long enough to hear anything the others have to say.
no it's ok, it was just a few tips for making better salsa. brv came to his senses and realize that we can all make excellent salsa already, so he deleted it.
no it's ok, it was just a few tips for making better salsa. brv came to his senses and realize that we can all make excellent salsa already, so he deleted it.
I love this post.I hope it's a ShakeZuma original.

I prefer fresh uncooked, basically just a pico de gallo. fresh tomatoes, onions, jalos, lime juice, parsley (I don't like cilantro), and salt. that's it.see, brvheart was right to delete.

Faith doesn't equal concrete proof. It's just a strong belief in something. I have a strong belief that the Wings will win tonight but that won't make it so. Thus if speedz decides to strongly believe there is a heaven it won't just make it so. None of us will know regardless of our faith until we die who is right and who is wrong.
As others said, I think BG's point was that I'm screwed if I wait until that point...if he's 100% correct about the whole god/heaven/selectivity thing.
BG, on the other hand, believes that Jesus is the only way to heaven and desires other people to get to heaven also. It has nothing to do with him personally gaining anything. He just doesn't want other people to find out the truth when it's too late.
Yeah, no, pretty sure he just wants to "prove" he's right.
tumblr_lwaxijybYr1qabnl2.jpg
Heh.
is that salsa or a salad?bowl%20of%20salsa.jpg
Seriously. I hate the mild salsa salad thing. I want it thick but not chunky, and hot as hell.
Ouch. This probably hurts BG's feelings more than you think. I know it would mine.
As others said, I think BG's point was that I'm screwed if I wait until that point...if he's 100% correct about the whole god/heaven/selectivity thing.
Not really, more of what JJJ said.
Believe it or not this hurts. I mean I am sad that you feel I would want a petty win over having someone think through their decision about God and their eternal life.I am never glib about Christ, and what He did for us.
I prefer fresh uncooked, basically just a pico de gallo. fresh tomatoes, onions, jalos, lime juice, parsley (I don't like cilantro), and salt. that's it.
This.But I add pepper.
It is interesting that you used BG as an example here though, because it's MUCH more strange that Randy Reed and Spade care what others think. It's especially weird that Spade cares enough to start a thread to discuss it, since he hates all people and thinks everyone, except him and a few people on the atheist forum he frequents, are complete idiots. So why care enough to discuss anything with them, let alone care about their "misguided" beliefs.
I disagree with this, vehemently. Vehemently!*From an atheist perspective, the state of the world in which such a large portion of the humanity is totally misguided when it comes to the some of the most important questions of spiritual and moral life is of paramount importance. On an individual level, in caring about what you specifically think, I have a similar problem to the one BG has. I care about you as a human and therefore it matters to me that you have a belief system which is both false and prevents you from fulfilling your true potential. In short, you have a belief system which prevents you from entering heaven. I should care about that, shouldn't I?*Ok, well maybe you are right about Spademan, but since you included RandyReed in there I'm taking this to be aimed at atheists in general
Who said anything about mild? It can be a chunky salad and still be hot as hell.
It's very rare for a chunky "garden" salsa to be very hot. The hottest salsas typically look like the one SA posted. Of course, there are exceptions.
Ouch. This probably hurts BG's feelings more than you think. I know it would mine.
I wouldn't say it about you.
Believe it or not this hurts. I mean I am sad that you feel I would want a petty win over having someone think through their decision about God and their eternal life.
Your arguments almost never come off as wanting us to believe for our sakes. They're based on mocking us for not believing what you think is an obvious truth. The typical BG post is "you guys are idiots". Which is fair, as many posts aimed at you boil down to the same thing. While I do believe that you'd like me to come to christ and join you in eternal etc., I also think that this isn't what you're thinking when you try to "prove" that atheism is based on ignorance. Your tone is very different from brv's, sorry if I misinterpret it.
I am never glib about Christ, and what He did for us.
No, you're glib about people who disagree with your religious beliefs. Which, once again, is fine, but you shouldn't be surprised if it seems like you're trying to beat people at an argument as opposed to just wishing the best for them.I do believe you want the best for me in terms of my immortal soul...but in addition to wanting to be right.