Don't Believe That Western Gov's Behind Protests...

I wasn't "kidding" about anything, because I didn't say anything.Irish dudes post wasn't: "Our guys are dying and our military service is military service, and it hurts my feelings when it's marginalized. The men who gave their lives were just moved down the Highway of Heroes and it was moving."Had he said that, then I wouldn't have said "LoL".What he actually said: "countless operations run jointly between our countries (more often then not our guys were in command)."That will always get an "LoL" from me. Because he threw that in to marginalize the US forces, which is exactly what made him mad in the first place.The way he worded "Jointly" was pretty funny too, considering Canada didn't send any troops to Iraq and they've only had anywhere from 900 to 3000 troops in Afghanistan (depending where you look). Compare that to our 1/4 of a million troops, and I'm not sure if his wording is specific enough. I am in no way complaining about troops levels that Canada sent. I don't care about any other countries fighting over there. As far as I'm concerned it's not their fight anyway, however, as an American I appreciate the sacrifices that were made on behalf of freedom/suppressing tyranny.However, again, looking at the troop levels, I think saying that "more often that not" 3000 troops were in charge of 250,000 is "LoL".Also, JJJ is right. I have lots of love for troops from every country. Just thinking about kids from Canada dying, because Muslim's are insane, makes me well up with tears.
During most of their time in Afghanistan Canadian forces were in the Kandahar area and the International Security Assistance Force in that area was known as Task Force Kandahar which was commanded by a Canadian General. In most of the areas in Afghanistan that the Canadian Forces operated any American units that were part of the ISAF would have been under Canadian command as well.His stating that most of the joint operations that his Brother was involved in while he was in Afghanistan were commanded by a Canadian makes perfect sense if you understand the actual facts.http://www.cefcom-comfec.forces.gc.ca/pa-a...fa-foia-eng.asp
U.S. Army unitsThe following units of the U.S. Army were deployed in Kandahar Province under Canadian operational control as part of Task Force Kandahar:1st Battalion of the 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment (1-508 PIR, the "Red Devils"), part of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82 Airborne Division from Fort Bragg, North Carolina; 1st Squadron of the 71st Cavalry Regiment (1-71 Cav, the "Ghost Squadron"), part of the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry) from Fort Drum, New York, and 97th Military Police Battalion, from Fort Riley, Kansas.
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I much prefer bare insults to tone trolling. Thanks. However, be a little more accurate. You should have left it at the quote edit and the "See? No tone trolling there."The "fake" thing is just unin

Just to add a historical note. Both American and Canadian Special Forces got their start in WWII with the 1st Special Service Force which was also known as The Devil's Brigade which is the name of the movie starring William Holden about them.It was a joint American-Canadian unit commanded by an American.The movie is your typical Hollywood war movie of that era but you can't go wrong with William Holdenhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Brigade1st_Special_Service_Force.patch.jpg

Just to add a historical note. Both American and Canadian Special Forces got their start in WWII with the 1st Special Service Force which was also known as The Devil's Brigade which is the name of the movie starring William Holden about them.It was a joint American-Canadian unit commanded by an American.The movie is your typical Hollywood war movie of that era but you can't go wrong with William Holdenhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Brigade1st_Special_Service_Force.patch.jpg
Good movie
lol
HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT YOU HATE MILITARY FOLKS BJ! WHY DO YOU SPIT ON THEIR SACRIFICES!??!!!
I'll check it out.
I wasn't "kidding" about anything, because I didn't say anything.Irish dudes post wasn't: "Our guys are dying and our military service is military service, and it hurts my feelings when it's marginalized. The men who gave their lives were just driven down the Highway of Heroes and it was moving."Had he said that, then I wouldn't have said "LoL".What he actually said: "countless operations run jointly between our countries (more often then not our guys were in command)."That will always get an "LoL" from me. Because he threw that in to marginalize the US forces, which is exactly what made him mad in the first place.The way he worded "Jointly" was pretty funny too, considering Canada didn't send any troops to Iraq and they've only had anywhere from 900 to 3000 troops in Afghanistan (depending where you look). Compare that to our 1/4 of a million troops, and I'm not sure if his wording is specific enough. I am in no way complaining about troops levels that Canada sent. I don't care about any other countries fighting over there. As far as I'm concerned it's not their fight anyway, however, as an American I appreciate the sacrifices that were made on behalf of freedom/suppressing tyranny.However, again, looking at the troop levels, I think saying that "more often that not" 3000 troops were in charge of 250,000 is "LoL".You could then look at "operations" and his definition of "countless" and how that compares to the total number of other countless missions that no Canadian was a part of, but that's too much work.Also, JJJ is right. I have lots of love for troops from every country. Just thinking about kids from Canada dying, because Muslim's are insane, makes me well up with tears.
During most of their time in Afghanistan Canadian forces were in the Kandahar area and the International Security Assistance Force in that area was known as Task Force Kandahar which was commanded by a Canadian General. In most of the areas in Afghanistan that the Canadian Forces operated any American units that were part of the ISAF would have been under Canadian command as well.His stating that most of the joint operations that his Brother was involved in while he was in Afghanistan were commanded by a Canadian makes perfect sense if you understand the actual facts.
Pretty much what Bob said. I was in no way trying to marginalize the U.S military I was just relating the facts as it relates to my brothers experience in Afghanistan and doing so to make clear how ridiculous the argument is that our military is weak and unskilled but yet our troops train and fight side by side and at times are trusted and respected to command.

I guess the universal interpreter messed up a bit...AGAIN.Anyway, thanks for your clarification, Brv. A bit of a strech, imo, on the "marginalization" front, but w/e.William Holden is one of my favorite actors. Stalag 17, Sunset Boulevard, Network, just to name a few.

Pretty much what Bob said. I was in no way trying to marginalize the U.S military I was just relating the facts as it relates to my brothers experience in Afghanistan and doing so to make clear how ridiculous the argument is that our military is weak and unskilled but yet our troops train and fight side by side and at times are trusted and respected to command.
Fair enough.
and doing so to make clear how ridiculous the argument is that our military is weak and unskilled but yet our troops train and fight side by side and at times are trusted and respected to command.
Your military is weak, globally speaking. Also, comparatively unskilled except for the highest levels, and even at the highest levels is comparatively unskilled verses the U.S. "elite".I was joking with my first post, but for gods sake I hate nationalism... and the idea that Canada's military is in any way (outside of general individual sacrifice) on par with the U.S. military is fucking absurd and reeks of ignorance and/or defense of national pride.
Your military is weak, globally speaking. Also, comparatively unskilled except for the highest levels, and even at the highest levels is comparatively unskilled verses the U.S. "elite".I was joking with my first post, but for gods sake I hate nationalism... and the idea that Canada's military is in any way (outside of general individual sacrifice) on par with the U.S. military is fucking absurd and reeks of ignorance and/or defense of national pride.
And your post doesn't reek of the usual arrogant nationalism constantly associated with the USA? Seeing as Canada spends only 1.5% of their GDP on military (22.8 billion) and the USA is at almost 5% (almost 700 billion; 2011 figures), your military BETTER be significantly better trained. The USA spends 43% of the total amount the world spends on military. No one else comes close. Not even China.

not long ago, I listened to a conversation between older officers. you understand a system with a bunch of needless complexity, but that does not necessarily make you smart or us safer. our military is elite due to the amount of money we spend on its technology, not because you have memorized the complex acronyms and jargon.I'm generalizing here. some guys are legitimately brilliant... it's just not 100%, as any officer would have you believe.

What would make you think this? No argument that the U.S military is bigger but to think they're higher trained/more skilled is ****ing absurd, and I have family in the U.S military that would say the same thing. In fact because our military is smaller our troops are often trained in a much broader fashion.

A military is a collection of many different parts. Our elite will have support that Canada's elite will not. We can call in ships, planes, drones, satellites, tanks etc.That comes into the equation when it comes to better soldier.And our spending is only part of the story, we are just better as human beings too.

This is hilarious:

And your post doesn't reek of the usual arrogant nationalism constantly associated with the USA?
Because it is couched in the same paragraph as this:
Seeing as Canada spends only 1.5% of their GDP on military (22.8 billion) and the USA is at almost 5% (almost 700 billion; 2011 figures), your military BETTER be significantly better trained. The USA spends 43% of the total amount the world spends on military. No one else comes close. Not even China.
If you can't see why this is hilarious you are a god damned moron.
What would make you think this? No argument that the U.S military is bigger but to think they're higher trained/more skilled is ****ing absurd, and I have family in the U.S military that would say the same thing. In fact because our military is smaller our troops are often trained in a much broader fashion.
Partially for the reasons BG mentioned in terms of support. Partially due to the specialization that can occur within elite units due to the size and funding. Partially because of technologies that will be available due to size and funding to particular soldiers that other countries do not have, or do not have in the same capacity.And if you have "family in the U.S. military" that would say the same thing, then you have family in the U.S. military who are ignorant of certain things, probably due to a lack of accessibility to information about certain things. And if we're taking anecdotal commentary as a significant factor, I'll see your "family who are in the U.S. military who would say stuff" and raise you "direct experience being U.S. military operating in tier 1 circles who is saying stuff". ------No shit, the U.S. military is absurdly large, massively over-funded on even a global level, and a drain on the well-being of the country in that it uses public funds best spent elsewhere. The cognitive dissonance and national pride necessary to think one's military is comparable while loudly and smugly pointing this out has to make your brains hurt. Doesn't it? At least a dull ache somewhere behind the eyes?
Partially for the reasons BG mentioned in terms of support. Partially due to the specialization that can occur within elite units due to the size and funding. Partially because of technologies that will be available due to size and funding to particular soldiers that other countries do not have, or do not have in the same capacity.And if you have "family in the U.S. military" that would say the same thing, then you have family in the U.S. military who are ignorant of certain things, probably due to a lack of accessibility to information about certain things. And if we're taking anecdotal commentary as a significant factor, I'll see your "family who are in the U.S. military who would say stuff" and raise you "direct experience being U.S. military operating in tier 1 circles who is saying stuff". ------No shit, the U.S. military is absurdly large, massively over-funded on even a global level, and a drain on the well-being of the country in that it uses public funds best spent elsewhere. The cognitive dissonance and national pride necessary to think one's military is comparable while loudly and smugly pointing this out has to make your brains hurt. Doesn't it? At least a dull ache somewhere behind the eyes?
The things BG listed make total sense and if the discussion was if your military is stronger and better equiped then I'd gladly cede the point. However, your comments were that Canadian troops are less skilled, less trained which is a completely different discussion. While I respect your experience and would think there are areas of the Military where you are likely correct on whole I don't agree at all. My brother just returned from the States and he described the difference as the U.S training/troops/jobs at least for those he's worked with that being more "single focused" trained where as his training/job covers a much broader range. This is in no way bravado or arrogant nationalism-there tons of shit as a country we're less skilled at then you and then others and I have zero problem owning up to it.

Being able to field 100 guys to handle A, 100 guys to handle B, 100 guys to handle C etc. to Z while a smaller force is required to have their guys handle A-D another guy handle E -J etc means we are approaching problems with different methods. Our having extra hands to spread the burdens is a reality that means we are not harmed by losing a few guys. A Canadian soldier, with proper training etc, is capable of being equal or better than any American with equal training.But since we have 100 soldiers to your 1, the odds are we are better at every single thing that a military does.Plus we have Nuke subs and 11 Carrier battle groups...which is handy to have when you get into a fight.

While I respect your experience and would think there are areas of the Military where you are likely correct on whole I don't agree at all.
Don't get me wrong, there are large swaths, entire units, in the U.S. military that are ate up. Shit bags and doofus...es (doofi?). Poorly trained, lazy goons who hardly can put their uniform on correctly. I don't mean to say that the U.S. military is some monolith of skill and badassery. What I mean to say is that whether one is looking for overwhelming force, or small scale precision, the U.S. military has the goods. Not because we are a land of heroes and Rambo's and John McClane's and Jack Bauer's who are imbued with steely eye-d, square chinned awesomeness by virtue of their American-ness. But because we spend a bazillion gazillion dollars training and equipping and creating support systems for Rambo's and John Mclane's and Jack Bauer's. And Spademen. Also, it's a numbers game. The larger the pool, the higher the potential for talent. And all of this has nothing to do with 'Murica being number 1!!! USA USA USA!America has been, for the last 30 years or so and steadily increasing in rate, declining into a cluster fuck. The fall of an empire. Where reality based thinking and critical thought are increasingly distasteful to the ignorant, cloistered, indoctrinated masses. Which actually should be a major concern for the rest of the world. That theocratic, fundamentalist Santorum types have had such a strong showing for the presidency of the United States this year - the executive in charge of this massive, deadly, effective beast designed for violence and destruction - should have the rest of the world pissing its pants.

I have been extremely surprised impressed with the reasonability and overall quality of argument coming from Spadey and BG in regards to their own military. Just wanted to throw out that compliment, since I still feel like I'm in the twilight zone hearing either of them talk about anything reasonably, nevermind something as sensitive and controversial as military.

I have been extremely surprised impressed with the reasonability and overall quality of argument coming from Spadey and BG in regards to their own military. Just wanted to throw out that compliment, since I still feel like I'm in the twilight zone hearing either of them talk about anything reasonably, nevermind something as sensitive and controversial as military.
I tend to agree, even though I got called a moron, which is nothing new on this site. I would say, though, that some of their posts, especially Spademan's, are delivered without benefit of elucidation, the onus being on the reader to pick up how their logic and how they are framing their info is working. I don't think anyone is likely to call Spademan a moron, but he needs to temper his factual layout with the knowledge that some people just don't know what he knows about this particular subject and that he doesn't need to be such an arrogant ******* about it. Just stick to the facts and don't be such a ****. I don't think that's too much to ask.The funny thing is that I can totally see Spademan working himself up into a furious lather of frustration at how stupid he perceives people to be, kind of like a gorilla/Stooge fusion.
I tend to agree, even though I got called a moron, which is nothing new on this site. I would say, though, that some of their posts, especially Spademan's, are delivered without benefit of elucidation, the onus being on the reader to pick up how their logic and how they are framing their info is working. I don't think anyone is likely to call Spademan a moron, but he needs to temper his factual layout with the knowledge that some people just don't know what he knows about this particular subject and that he doesn't need to be such an arrogant ******* about it. Just stick to the facts and don't be such a ****. I don't think that's too much to ask.The funny thing is that I can totally see Spademan working himself up into a furious lather of frustration at how stupid he perceives people to be, kind of like a gorilla/Stooge fusion.
Well, there's no question that Spademan either is a moron, or is a non-moron who purposely plays the role of loud trolling moron on the internet. He has epic trolling skills, but that hardly takes a genius.
It wouldn't surprise me if Spademan was actually one of the most intelligent posters here.
Yeah, Spademan apepars to be one smart ************. On a par with Big Brain Brett from Pulp Fiction. At least. He has a horrible tendency to lash out, though. I suggest counselling and less steroid intake.