Suggestions How To Get Back To Forum Greatness

Jeez. Now I'm thoroughly confused. I can see it's going to be tough being both compulsive and naive on this forum. I'll try and tough it out!
cheek out that troll's post count. 103 posts and all of them garbage. a good way to know people on this forum you can trust is by their post counts.
  • Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With one that big, you'd think there'd be a lot more in itArms stretched over a strong envious crowd. "Sorry. Sorry. Sorry" uttered on a seemingly endless loop which makes Canadian Bacon seem like the

Just follow my lead. Everyone will like you. Trust me.
Now we're getting somewhere! Let's turn this forum on it's ear. Me and you will be like the Doug E. Fresh and Slick Rick of Poker.
:club:
cheek out that troll's post count. 103 posts and all of them garbage. a good way to know people on this forum you can trust is by their post counts.
Damn skippy!!! :5c:4h:ts

Guys, I got it. I know what to do get this forum back.DN, you're fired.DNS redirect to fullcontactTebow.comboomsauce, thank me later in the form of a large check and possibly a nice ballcap.

Guys, I got it. I know what to do get this forum back.DN, you're fired.DNS redirect to fullcontactTebow.comboomsauce, thank me later in the form of a large check and possibly a nice ballcap.
all of my hateyou have itdns redirect to howmanygeorgebrett.net tho and you have a deal

Thanks for the warm welcome yesterday guys... Esp that Billy fella!! ;)Ok I'll offer some real suggestions now that the hand shakes are done: 1. First and foremost is simply to tidy it up....there are too many unused sections that need to be consolidated or just plain deleted. Heck, some ''recent'' posts on certain sections are 3-4 yrs old or older! 2. Maybe add a section for newcomers to introduce themselves. This should attract more newcomers. That is, of course, unless you guys are like one of those old school, backwoods, primitive baptist churches who only allow family members and the wealthy to worship with you. That being said, it seems you guys have a certain clique already. And it seems to be a tough clique to crack, but if I told you about myself I might be able to get in just on bragging alone! :ts, 3. More strategic talk. Alot of newbies to this forum are coming here to learn and/or be berated by the vets and pros (if there are any on the site? sorry I'm fairly new and the only one I've seen besides Mr. Sklansky is old posts by DN so far) And I know most of you probably are tired of the ''what do I do with a medium pair in early position'' type stuff, but I say roll with the punches and direct some people to the answers or answer them yourself. We've all been there before when we needed that little piece of info.4. Somebody needs to take the reigns and post some real hands to dissect and review that we've played and discuss (I think this was done before a while back (Poker Quiz sect.), without looking, to some degree of success?). So many hands can be played out so many ways, it's often fun to see peoples experiences with each. I like to try and interject humor and straight laymen's terms with my experiences as opposed to I had 100bb and needed 34% to call blah blah blah math this, math that.... cause while that may be exciting to 3 out of 100 people, the rest of us just enjoy the good old psychological and straightforward approach to the game! (Not saying I dont use math when I play, but I have a simplistic mathematical approach to pot odds, EV, etc. so I keep the fun factor during long stretches in tourneys....cash games I might inject my mathlete skills a little more, but only when necessary.) I'm sure these are pretty basic suggestions and not really anything new, but just trying to pump some more life into the suggestion box. You guys seem to be a very intelligent and fun loving bunch (and I'm friggin great at reading ppl) so I am looking forward to getting to know you and picking your brain as well as giving you invaluable insight from my experiences. :club: So I hope you don't run me off with a pitchfork!

Thanks for the warm welcome yesterday guys... Esp that Billy fella!! ;)Ok I'll offer some real suggestions now that the hand shakes are done: 1. First and foremost is simply to tidy it up....there are too many unused sections that need to be consolidated or just plain deleted. Heck, some ''recent'' posts on certain sections are 3-4 yrs old or older! 2. Maybe add a section for newcomers to introduce themselves. This should attract more newcomers. That is, of course, unless you guys are like one of those old school, backwoods, primitive baptist churches who only allow family members and the wealthy to worship with you. That being said, it seems you guys have a certain clique already. And it seems to be a tough clique to crack, but if I told you about myself I might be able to get in just on bragging alone! :ts, 3. More strategic talk. Alot of newbies to this forum are coming here to learn and/or be berated by the vets and pros (if there are any on the site? sorry I'm fairly new and the only one I've seen besides Mr. Skalansky is old posts by DN so far) And I know most of you probably are tired of the ''what do I do with a medium pair in early position'' type stuff, but I say roll with the punches and direct some people to the answers or answer them yourself. We've all been there before when we needed that little piece of info.4. Somebody needs to take the reigns and post some real hands to dissect and review that we've played and discuss (I think this was done before a while back (Poker Quiz sect.), without looking, to some degree of success?). So many hands can be played out so many ways, it's often fun to see peoples experiences with each. I like to try and interject humor and straight laymen's terms with my experiences as opposed to I had 100bb and needed 34% to call blah blah blah math this, math that.... cause while that may be exciting to 3 out of 100 people, the rest of us just enjoy the good old psychological and straightforward approach to the game! (Not saying I dont use math when I play, but I have a simplistic mathematical approach to pot odds, EV, etc. so I keep the fun factor during long stretches in tourneys....cash games I might inject my mathlete skills a little more, but only when necessary.) I'm sure these are pretty basic suggestions and not really anything new, but just trying to pump some more life into the suggestion box. You guys seem to be a very intelligent and fun loving bunch (and I'm friggin great at reading ppl) so I am looking forward to getting to know you and picking your brain as well as giving you invaluable insight from my experiences. :club: So I hope you don't run me off with a pitchfork!
Pretty good suggestions actually. To be fair, I've had accounts on a couple other forums, and this is still one of the stronger. Check out ITH or Bluff and you'll see what a wasteland really is. Not to say that this can't be better.

I will attempt to answer your questions seriously since you took the time to make a thoughtful, serious post.

1. First and foremost is simply to tidy it up....there are too many unused sections that need to be consolidated or just plain deleted. Heck, some ''recent'' posts on certain sections are 3-4 yrs old or older!
There are certainly sections taht are unneeded, contests that were over years and years ago, player reviews that are essentially irrelevant now, etc. But, honestly, even if we streamlined that thing, is that really going to boost traffic? It might annoy some anal posters, but I don't think it keeps anyone from posting nor do I think cleaning it up would encourage posting.
2. Maybe add a section for newcomers to introduce themselves. This should attract more newcomers. That is, of course, unless you guys are like one of those old school, backwoods, primitive baptist churches who only allow family members and the wealthy to worship with you. That being said, it seems you guys have a certain clique already. And it seems to be a tough clique to crack, but if I told you about myself I might be able to get in just on bragging alone! :club:,
Back when this place was getting 100's of new members a month, it would have been useful. But now that it's atrophied into a core group of posters, having cliques that are hard to crack is inevitable. Cliques are the only thing keeping the forum going, really. But, this couldn't hurt. It might get more posting in gen pop if nothing else.
3. More strategic talk. Alot of newbies to this forum are coming here to learn and/or be berated by the vets and pros (if there are any on the site? sorry I'm fairly new and the only one I've seen besides Mr. Sklansky is old posts by DN so far) And I know most of you probably are tired of the ''what do I do with a medium pair in early position'' type stuff, but I say roll with the punches and direct some people to the answers or answer them yourself. We've all been there before when we needed that little piece of info.4. Somebody needs to take the reigns and post some real hands to dissect and review that we've played and discuss (I think this was done before a while back (Poker Quiz sect.), without looking, to some degree of success?). So many hands can be played out so many ways, it's often fun to see peoples experiences with each. I like to try and interject humor and straight laymen's terms with my experiences as opposed to I had 100bb and needed 34% to call blah blah blah math this, math that.... cause while that may be exciting to 3 out of 100 people, the rest of us just enjoy the good old psychological and straightforward approach to the game! (Not saying I dont use math when I play, but I have a simplistic mathematical approach to pot odds, EV, etc. so I keep the fun factor during long stretches in tourneys....cash games I might inject my mathlete skills a little more, but only when necessary.)
So here is the crux of the issue, and the real reason this forum is a ghost town now. Since you are new, you probably don't know this back story, so I'll tell it to you. This place was thriving and active without much input From DN for years. Really, it was only the first couple years where he actively posted here, other than the hockey forum. I would guess 90% of his posts are in the hockey forum. Back then, in 2006-2009 or so, there were legitimate online pros not only chatting here, but talking about strategy, breaking down hands. It wasn't as big as say, 2+2, but there were many active strategy posters. However, there was a giant drama on the forums. Some of the serious strat guys got tired of being harassed by trolls or non serious members. They got tired of the cess pool that Gen pop turned into. And they got tired of their strategic thoughs being spied on by 2+2ers browsing the threads. So they started an invitation only forum called 4betbluff, and there was a mass exodus of posters. Some posters still post on both places, but when they post here, it's socially not with the intention of serious strat conversation. All of that goes on at 4bet bluff. It is the ultimate clique, since it's invitation only, but the strat guys thought (and rightfully so) that they shouldn't be giving out their strategy and thoughts on the game for free. At least, if you were going to see how someone played, you'd have to add something yourself to the community, you couldn't just spy on their thoughts. I know that sucks for new posters, but their concern was more their bb/100 rate than coddling newbies, and I don't blame them.So yes if FCP wants to regain it's former glory, should talk about strat. But who's going to do it? All of the winning players and pros that used to post here either left in the 4betbluff exodus, or left on their own for other reasons. There's no new influx of players with valuable incite to take over the reigns. If you want to talk strat, there are places like 2+2 that are actually active. You'd have to build it here from the ground up again, and there's just not enough new posters ( who have thoughts that are worth while) to do that. Maybe, if the laws change, and poker booms again ( and that's a big maybe), there will be more strat talk on here. But until then, I think this site, sadly, is just destined it's slow but steady atrophy. The mass exodus is over, but people will just keep posting less and less as there is less and less content. A great poster will stop bothering to come back, and the another and then it will be time to close the doors. This site has no future, in my opinion, other than as a cliquish place for e-friends to talk about off topic issues. The poker content ship has sailed.Realistically, the only way I could see this site having an actual Renascence is if DN actually got interested in it again, and convinced a bunch of his poker friends to post here as their real names, and do what poker road had going for it for a while, famous pros having discussions. But even then, do people even give a **** about famous poker players anymore ( besides Rose, I mean). I don't know how much buzz that would create or how many people it would attract other than trolls. And I don't know how much poker content any pro would want to reveal, and there are better mediums for their social interactions ( facebook, twitter, etc) so I think if DN did that, it would be destined for Poker Road's fate.

Great advice BigD...Ill throw my two cents in...As you can see by my post count , Im one of the most active posters on FCP...Ironically though I would say 85-90 percent of my posts are in the hockey forum.We have a great bunch of guys over there, a lot of us know each other in "real life" and its been like a family.I joined this site because I have personally known Daniel for over 15 years..We "grew up" together in the Toronto poker scene where we played a lot of poker..We both hustled the 10-20 games back in the day, and our lives took different paths..We still are involved in the same fantasy hockey league that we have been in all these years..This site was very popular back in the day, however as a lot of people have alluded to , the serious posters have left due to the stupid childish antics of a few...Its sad to see really..Also the site was more active back in the day when FCP was an actual online poker room...If Daniel wanted to this forum can be busy again..However i dont see him have any incentive or motivation. I dont blame him, he is very busy now as the Poker Stars ambassador and he has many more interests, obligations than he might have had when this site started.FCP Bob who is also a friend of mine for many years, does a great job keeping this place up and running...However there is only so much that can be done.Im not complaining, FCP is still a big part of my life and spend tons of times in the hockey forum..Thats just the way I like it..Feel free to stop and say hi to us there...If you love hockey or you dont, im sure you will have fun there...GO LEAFS GOPSIf you dont love the Leafs its ok too..

<------------- Never been in a FCP CliqueRegarding the serious point its pretty much as BigDMcGee says.In addition the General Poker forum was still reasonably brisk until Black Friday. That pretty much killed the traffic dead. As a result most of the regular American posters disappeared overnight. I still post here occasionally but with only a few new topics a week, there isn't really much to talk about.

Thanks Greenestreet for your kind words. Thanks as well BigD! I appreciate you taking the time to open up and be honest. Yeah, I figured I was probably dealing with a shell of "once was" here. Figures that I would start taking the game and community more seriously the same year Black Friday hits! But, like most, I still have hopes that we're just in a lull and as soon as the DOJ opens the doors I think we'll all be doing heel clicks. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy what ''is'' happening I guess. Playing home games, live tournaments.....heck, I even joined ClubWPT just to support one of the few shows that is still airing and maybe satellite in to one of their big tournaments some day. I know it's probably considered lame, but I really don't know where the safe, online cash games are anymore. Serg, the 'Canes rule bud. Sorry.

Thanks Greenestreet for your kind words. Thanks as well BigD! I appreciate you taking the time to open up and be honest. Yeah, I figured I was probably dealing with a shell of "once was" here. Figures that I would start taking the game and community more seriously the same year Black Friday hits! But, like most, I still have hopes that we're just in a lull and as soon as the DOJ opens the doors I think we'll all be doing heel clicks. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy what ''is'' happening I guess. Playing home games, live tournaments.....heck, I even joined ClubWPT just to support one of the few shows that is still airing and maybe satellite in to one of their big tournaments some day. I know it's probably considered lame, but I really don't know where the safe, online cash games are anymore. Serg, the 'Canes rule bud. Sorry.
Sorry buddy, not this year...:club:
I think this forum should just turn into a sports forum, with a poker section.
good idea. Maybe reformat into just a few subforums and get rid of all the rest:PokerHockeyOther SportsGeneral Discussions/TopicsArchives
4. Somebody needs to take the reigns and post some real hands to dissect and review that we've played and discuss (I think this was done before a while back (Poker Quiz sect.), without looking, to some degree of success?). So many hands can be played out so many ways, it's often fun to see peoples experiences with each. I like to try and interject humor and straight laymen's terms with my experiences as opposed to I had 100bb and needed 34% to call blah blah blah math this, math that.... cause while that may be exciting to 3 out of 100 people, the rest of us just enjoy the good old psychological and straightforward approach to the game! (Not saying I dont use math when I play, but I have a simplistic mathematical approach to pot odds, EV, etc. so I keep the fun factor during long stretches in tourneys....cash games I might inject my mathlete skills a little more, but only when necessary.)
Feel free to glance through my threads in NLHE Strat. There are some fun ones.
I will attempt to answer your questions seriously since you took the time to make a thoughtful, serious post.
This was pretty comprehensive except you forgot the small matter about the vast majority of us not being able to play online poker any more. Even 4BB has a fraction of the strategy talk that it used to.Plus, all of the good sports talk has moved over to spoolios now.