The Media Lynching Of Joe Paterno

To clarify, I'm not asking why you don't understand that, I mean I literally don't know what you mean by "willingly pay money to athletics."
at least at my school, athletics bribed the shit out of the student cabinet--free tickets+travel to every game, etc. they would in turn get the students to vote for increasing mandatory fees to pay for sports that don't generate revenue. I'm too lazy to look for KU basketball's bottom line, but it's gotta be comparable to penn state's.
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm just sorry Paterno didn't live to see his reputation tarnished.

You're all sick bastards, you son-of-a-bitch.

Texas football has an annual profit around $70m.But don't let the players get a dime, that will ruin the integrity of collegiate sports.
Baha, yeah, they'd be ruined. Still ok though for Cam Newton's father to accept $200K from a recruiter, because Cam didn't know about it, and it is unreasonable to expect a father to have any influence on where his kid goes to school.
Nice chart of all the major football and basketball programs revenue/profit:http://businessofcollegesports.com/2011/06...argest-profits/
I don't see the University of Toronto Tennis Team on there so the list can't be that completeEdit: As Rick Perry would say, ooops. Only football and basketball teams on that list.
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/724...sting-boy-1980sSo? Guilty or Innocent? ESPN invites you to speculate. No harm, I mean the guy won't be hurt at all by these allegations if they turn out to be not true.
I don't know. Do you think that ESPN should not have run the story? Just ignore the fact that the assistant coach of a major basketball program was put on administrative leave? ESPN does not do stories on rumors or allegations; it's not until there is actual police involvement or official statements from the accused that they will cover it.
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/724...sting-boy-1980sSo? Guilty or Innocent? ESPN invites you to speculate. No harm, I mean the guy won't be hurt at all by these allegations if they turn out to be not true.
What DA said.Speculating though, this seems like a crock of shit to me. Two people who clearly had the ability to agree on the stories. No one has corroborated anything. Amazingly, the story comes public right after Sandusky, since they know the only chance at getting something is by getting paid to shut up, and that will only happen if there is media attention to it. And there wouldn't have been media attention to such empty allegations a few months ago.The accusers make some pretty specific statements - about being in Fine's hotel room, about still seeing him in their 20's. Those things should be pretty easily corroborated.I'm not sure how to spell corroborate.
I don't know. Do you think that ESPN should not have run the story? Just ignore the fact that the assistant coach of a major basketball program was put on administrative leave? ESPN does not do stories on rumors or allegations; it's not until there is actual police involvement or official statements from the accused that they will cover it.
I don't know either but I sure hope some of you guys get to experience being accused of something so awful in a public way, maybe then you won't be so damn cavalier about destroying someones life. **** no!! I wouldn't have run the story, just because the guy is on administrative leave. Just like they didn't run the OTL story years ago because they found there was nothing to it. I would follow it, and see if there was anything to it before I ran national news coverage accusing a guy of child molestation. Cain, can this guy sue the accusers for slander, defamation, ect? And if he didn't do it, then why wouldn't he sue them? Just curious.
I don't know either but I sure hope some of you guys get to experience being accused of something so awful in a public way, maybe then you won't be so damn cavalier about destroying someones life. **** no!! I wouldn't have run the story, just because the guy is on administrative leave. Just like they didn't run the OTL story years ago because they found there was nothing to it. I would follow it, and see if there was anything to it before I ran national news coverage accusing a guy of child molestation. Cain, can this guy sue the accusers for slander, defamation, ect? And if he didn't do it, then why wouldn't he sue them? Just curious.
He can but proving slander or defamation of character is always an uphill battle. I would assume he would try to prove his innocence and if he succeeds then he would definitely sue for slander/libel/whatever.
I don't know either but I sure hope some of you guys get to experience being accused of something so awful in a public way, maybe then you won't be so damn cavalier about destroying someones life. **** no!! I wouldn't have run the story, just because the guy is on administrative leave. Just like they didn't run the OTL story years ago because they found there was nothing to it. I would follow it, and see if there was anything to it before I ran national news coverage accusing a guy of child molestation.
Your real issue should be with people who rush to judgment without knowing any of the facts.ESPN did not say, "look what this guy did!" They presented the facts and quoted people involved. But hey, thanks for hoping I get accused of something awful because I said I don't know if he's guilty or not.
Your real issue should be with people who rush to judgment without knowing any of the facts.ESPN did not say, "look what this guy did!" They presented the facts and quoted people involved. But hey, thanks for hoping I get accused of something awful because I said I don't know if he's guilty or not.
I don't want it to actually happen(you to be accused) but I do want you to think about what it would be like. I don't know if you saw the video portion, but the guy from ESPN was totally telling it from one side and one side only. People do rush to judgement without the facts, always have and always will, ESPN knows this which is why they should wait to run something like this. Because now it doesn't matter whether or not he did what he is accused of doing.
A little condescension isn't a terrible thing, and I think it was called for in this situation. We obviously have a difference of opinion on this issue. Nothing wrong with that except that you should be burned at the stake for being on the wrong side of this one.

Penn State University received almost $250,000 for a series of sleepover camps in 2008 and 2009 run by the charity group founded by Jerry Sandusky — years after ex-athletic director Tim Curley imposed a ban on the accused child molester from entering the school's sports facilities and main campus.Financial records obtained by FOXNews.com show $124,587 was given to Penn State by The Second Mile in 2009. The year before, in 2008, the university received $119,592 from The Second Mile. The money is listed under "food and lodging" in charity records, and officials said the payments were made on a series of week-long sleepover camps.Penn State apparently took money for the camps months after the mother of a high school freshman contacted authorities in the spring of 2008 saying her son had been abused by Sandusky. That allegation kick-started the grand jury investigation that this month indicted Sandusky on 40 counts of child sex abuse charges.It is not clear if Sandusky, who was still director of The Second Mile in 2008 before the group cut ties with him, participated in the camps. The Second Mile officials declined requests to answer questions about Sandusky's involvement.But Sandusky was still an "active" director of The Second Mile and earned $57,000 in The Second Mile's 2008 fiscal year, which ended Aug. 31, 2008. Three months later, in November, Sandusky told The Second Mile he was under investigation, and the charity banned him from activities with children, according to a recent statement by Jack Raykovitz, the charity's former CEO who resigned on Sunday.Sandusky also held sleepover football camps for boys, run through his own corporation, Sandusky Associates Inc., at satellite Penn State campuses all over the state, even after he was turned out from The Second Mile.When asked for details about money paid to Penn State in 2008, the university's associate vice president for finance and business, Daniel Sieminski, told FOXNews.com via email that the funds "paid for all the food, lodging and miscellaneous expenses incurred by the University for these camps."The charity's new CEO, David Woodle, did not reply to questions sent by email.The Second Mile and Penn State officials have both denied they were associated with the Sandusky Association football sleepover camps for boys in grades four to nine — though they were held on Penn State campuses in 2008, according to a flyer still posted on the website of the university's Erie campus.Sandusky ran the same football sleepover camps on Penn State campuses in 2009, nearly a year after the charity banned him from activities with children and nearly a decade after the first reports of his alleged sex abuse surfaced.Allegations Sandusky sexually abused children go back to at least the late 1990s, according to a grand jury report released two weeks ago. According to assistant coach Mike McQueary's grand jury testimony, Sandusky was banned from campus in 2002 after McQueary — then a graduate student — reported seeing him sodomizing a young boy in the campus showers.McQueary said Curley also told him that he had informed The Second Mile of the allegations.The sex-abuse scandal has so far has claimed the jobs of Curley, football coach Joe Paterno, Penn State president Graham Spanier and finance director Gary Schulz.http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/s..._medium=twitter

I liked that article.Three months after McQueary put a stop to whatever Sandusky was doing and reported it to police and his dad and Paterno (according to him), he participated in Sandusky's charity golf tournament. Let's take McQueary at his word that he witnessed Sandusky doing something of a sexual nature to some kid and that he even talked to the police about it. If you're McQueary, do you still go to this tournament? If your job depends on participation, do you quit your job?
I liked that article.Three months after McQueary put a stop to whatever Sandusky was doing and reported it to police and his dad and Paterno (according to him), he participated in Sandusky's charity golf tournament. Let's take McQueary at his word that he witnessed Sandusky doing something of a sexual nature to some kid and that he even talked to the police about it. If you're McQueary, do you still go to this tournament? If your job depends on participation, do you quit your job?
Pretty sure I read that where McQueary said he "stopped it" was later clarified to mean that they saw him and appeared to stop (at which point he left, without confirming it, or seeing what happened to the child). And "talking to police" was later clarified to mean that he spoke to the head of the University Police, aka when he and Paterno met with the University brass.