The Media Lynching Of Joe Paterno

I was actually talking about McQueary, but the janitor thing is equally relevant. My point was that McQueary should have contacted the police, and that the necessity of doing so should have been independent in his mind of the necessity to tell JoePa and any other superiors, which is all that he apparently ever did about it. It's a bit surprising that he hasn't been fired yet. Interesting about Sandusky returning to the parking lot all night after the janitor saw him, I hadn't heard that yet.
The janitor was a part-time worker and didn't know who Sandusky he was. He told his supervisor, who went with him to the parking lot, and identified Sandusky. The supervisor told the janitor who he shoud go report it to, and neither followed up. I'm guessing one or both of those guys would be in legal trouble now, except the janitor has dementia and is an instititute and the supervisor is dead or something.McQueary is a big dude. Physically, he would've had no issue stopping it. Shock is one thing. If he saw Sandusky giving the kid a backrub, I understand getting some advice and reporting it normally. Seeing a child getting ass sex? Sorry, there's just no excuse. It's not like Sandusky is the President, you aren't going to end up in a hole somewhere if you report it.
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm just sorry Paterno didn't live to see his reputation tarnished.

You're all sick bastards, you son-of-a-bitch.

Yeah, people freeze I fully understand that. They had YEARS though for someone to go to the real police. Years. I think it's pretty clear Paterno chose to just hope the whole thing went away. While that's obviously not as bad as an active cover-up, it's still worthy of being fired. In a few years, people will start to remember Paterno more fairly for the totality of his career.

Yeah, people freeze I fully understand that. They had YEARS though for someone to go to the real police. Years. I think it's pretty clear Paterno chose to just hope the whole thing went away. While that's obviously not as bad as an active cover-up, it's still worthy of being fired. In a few years, people will start to remember Paterno more fairly for the totality of his career.
Yes, and a huge thing that I haven't heard much about yet, but it will probably come out soon. Paterno, McQueary and others were aware he was involved heavily in "The Second Mile" program for at risk youth. That, to me, puts a nail in your coffin. You knew he was involved in that program, but the only action that was taken was to tell him to not bring young boys on campus anymore. Knowing what the guy was about and not making sure he was no longer involved with "The Second Mile" and remaining silent for years makes you criminally negligent. Cain, legally would they have a case against McQueary, Paterno if it comes out that they knew of his continued involvement in that organization and remained quiet about it?
Cain, legally would they have a case against McQueary, Paterno if it comes out that they knew of his continued involvement in that organization and remained quiet about it?
Eh, probably not. Legally, I'm pretty sure both are safe unless something more than that comes out. They followed the letter of the law (but not really the spirit) and that's why both should be safe legally but will lose their jobs.
Eh, probably not. Legally, I'm pretty sure both are safe unless something more than that comes out. They followed the letter of the law (but not really the spirit) and that's why both should be safe legally but will lose their jobs.
Are they potentially liable in a civil suit? Or just their higher-ups?
Are they potentially liable in a civil suit? Or just their higher-ups?
Penn State is and that's who they will sue if they are smart. The University President of Head of Campus Police are small potatoes.McQueary is definitely not liable in a suit. There is no duty to rescue. He saw, he told someone of authority. He should have done more but legally he's fine. Same for Paterno really. Suing PSU is the right move.
How can they even lose their jobs? They properly reported something. Would love to see Paterno file a wrongful dismissal suit :club:
How can they even lose their jobs? They properly reported something. Would love to see Paterno file a wrongful dismissal suit :club:
I know you are being facetious but that's a terrible idea. You can be fired for a wide range of behavior that is technically legal.
What I really can't understand is McQueary's immediate reaction to seeing a grown man raping a young boy. His reaction was...to go home (and then report it to his superior the next day). How does he not enter the shower and slam Sandusky's face into the wall and immediately find the nearest phone and dial 911? Or just the part where he dials 911?(???) He actually witnessed a horrendous felony, didn't call the police.P.S. Paterno obviously failed himself, his university, and humanity in general by not taking further steps as well.
It's simple psychology, and even though I didn't have many people siding with me on the discussion in the sick thread... I was right.McQueary behaved the way he did for one reason, and that is who Sandusky was to him. Sandusky was his old coach, and if McQueary had done something to intervene, it could have been just as easily covered up, but he would have lost his career. Without knowing it, he weighed his options, and decided that the risk was too great... so he left. Later, after speaking with his dad, he decided that they would have to tell Paterno. So failure #2 was McQuery's dad, who was pussifying his own son, for the protection of his career. What's the other reason to tell Paterno and not call the cops that very night to file a report? It's only his career. That's the only option.And if I had to guess, from a psychological standpoint, I think >70% of people would do the same thing with an authority figure that had the power to destroy their career. Working for a coach like Paterno isn't like getting fired from an accounting job. It's much much more exclusive.Put a stranger in the shower, instead of Sandusky (or any other authority figure with the power to destroy your future livelihood), and anyone, including McQueary, probably does exactly as you are suggesting >90% of the time.ps. All stats were arbitrarily picked out of thin air with no basis in actual data.
One of ESPN's legal analysts (Lester Munson?) was saying that if more victims came forward, then Paterno could be open to facing charges again. There must be a reason why he hired a defense attorney, I would think. He was also saying that McQueary probably cut some deal for his testimony; he's one of the main witnesses.
For 20 mill you wouldnt?You know that happened? I thought the kid was getting head>
you are too quick for my editingI honestly can't think of much I'd shy away from for $20 mil
You know that happened? I thought the kid was getting head>
maybe you should educate yourself with the details of the case before commenting. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> the only thing left to discuss, in my mind, is the people who keep saying, well, "we dont know exactly what JoePa knew, we dont know exactly what the GA told him." well to me, we dont even need to know. if you will grant me that the GA went to JoePa and said only these four words: sandusky, shower, boy, innapropriate - then JoePa knew enough to be fired for his inaction.
well to me, we dont even need to know. if you will grant me that the GA went to JoePa and said only these four words: sandusky, shower, boy, innapropriate - then JoePa knew enough to be fired for his inaction.
Paterno himself testified to a grand jury that McQueary told him he witnessed Sandusky "fondling or doing something of a sexual nature" to the boy.What else do we need to know? If it eventually comes out that he knew of something else in addition to that, then we can just add onto his already justified firing and maybe start talking about jail time or something.
Paterno himself testified to a grand jury that McQueary told him he witnessed Sandusky "fondling or doing something of a sexual nature" to the boy.What else do we need to know? If it eventually comes out that he knew of something else in addition to that, then we can just add onto his already justified firing and maybe start talking about jail time or something.
i dont need to know anything else. i was just frustrated having to listen to LeBatard say over and over again that we dont know what Paterno knew. really grinded my gears last week considering it was the only topic on the show.

The next morning, McQueary said, they went to see Paterno. And what did McQueary say? We don’t know. The grand jury presentment that has been given to the public, simply says that McQueary “reported what he had seen.” According to Paterno’s testimony, McQueary told the coach he had witnessed Sandusky “fondling or doing something of a sexual nature” to the boy. Two days after the report was released, Paterno issued a statement saying he wanted to correct the impression left by the presentment. Even though Paterno himself had told the grand jury that McQueary saw “something of a sexual nature,” Paterno said this week that he had stopped the conversation before it got too graphic. Instead, he told McQueary he would need to speak with his superior, Athletic Director Tim Curley, and with Schultz. That meeting did not happen for 10 days.

There is nothing in there that makes me think Paterno doesn't deserve the spotlight that is on him.

maybe you should educate yourself with the details of the case before commenting. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> the only thing left to discuss, in my mind, is the people who keep saying, well, "we dont know exactly what JoePa knew, we dont know exactly what the GA told him." well to me, we dont even need to know. if you will grant me that the GA went to JoePa and said only these four words: sandusky, shower, boy, innapropriate - then JoePa knew enough to be fired for his inaction.
In Paterno's own testimony he said that when McQueary came to him he was "visibly distraught". That only serves along with the other information to diminish any question as to the seriousness of McQueary's statement. It's pretty obvious that Paterno, the admin and others were more than aware for a long time as to what they were dealing with and turned a blind eye choosing instead to protect the University's image and income. It's obvious that they let Sandusky go the first time because they were aware he was a pervert. For ZD to blame the media for this is beyond the most absurd thing I've seen in this forum. I do think it's fair to question why no priests, bishops or Catholic clergy have actually been prosecuted though. I think there has been what, one case so far?

I think this case will get uglier1, but what seems very, very clear to me is that important people at Penn State knew about Sandusky and did everything in their power to sweep it under the rug because the Penn State football program generates a LOT2 of money, and it's obvious a scandal of this nature would destroy the program and along with the program, millions of dollars a year.1. Centre County DA Ray Gricar, who chose not to prosecute Sandusky in 1998 and who many speculate was waiting to build a stronger case DISAPPEARED in 2005 and has never been found. His laptop was found in a river with the hard drive removed and he had searched the web on his home computer for instructions on how to destroy hard drives right before he went missing. This does not seem unrelated. It seems like he possessed information which caused him to fear for his life, and then the guy vanished off the face of the earth. It could be the greatest coincidence in history or it could be that powerful people wanted their $50 million/year gravy train to continue rolling and people in power have done much worse things than kill a lowly DA for $50m+/year into infinity.2. According to data from the 2010-11 academic year which is accessible through the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Postsecondary Education:Penn State athletics generated total revenues of $116.2 million, with $72.7 million of those revenues coming from the football program;Penn State athletics generated an overall profit $31.7 million, with football alone earning $53.2 million in profits…i.e. the rest of the athletics department collectively lost $21.5 million.

1. Centre County DA Ray Gricar, who chose not to prosecute Sandusky in 1998 and who many speculate was waiting to build a stronger case DISAPPEARED in 2005 and has never been found. His laptop was found in a river with the hard drive removed and he had searched the web on his home computer for instructions on how to destroy hard drives right before he went missing. This does not seem unrelated. It seems like he possessed information which caused him to fear for his life, and then the guy vanished off the face of the earth. It could be the greatest coincidence in history or it could be that powerful people wanted their $50 million/year gravy train to continue rolling and people in power have done much worse things than kill a lowly DA for $50m+/year into infinity.
I heard about this too. It's an amazing story that hasn't been mentioned all that much, especially when you consider how much people love conspiracy theories. But...this wasn't the only case the DA was involved in, right? I mean, yes, it certainly looks like he was killed and not by accident, but it's a pretty big leap to assume it was this specific case that did him in.That being said, if they can conclusively link that to this...I don't even know what happens next. Oh it's only the worst college sports scandal ever, let's just throw a murder on top of that.
Penn State athletics generated an overall profit $31.7 million, with football alone earning $53.2 million in profits…i.e. the rest of the athletics department collectively lost $21.5 million.
man, I'll never understand why students willingly pay money to athletics for anything.
I heard about this too. It's an amazing story that hasn't been mentioned all that much, especially when you consider how much people love conspiracy theories. But...this wasn't the only case the DA was involved in, right? I mean, yes, it certainly looks like he was killed and not by accident, but it's a pretty big leap to assume it was this specific case that did him in.
Or than any specific case did him in.