Gaddafi- Captured Or Dead.

The obvious point is that the difference between the richest people and the average person in centrally planned economies that lack rights is FAR more than in the supposedly evil capitalist economies. The people who complain the most about wealth inequity are the ones who support govt control of the economy -- something more like Libya -- over free markets. Qadaffi isn't an outlier for central planning, it's the expected and predictable result.
So you admit that when people with power can use that power to extract riches from the rest of the economy they will do so, but you don't think that this happens in the "good" countries? By what magical forces do those with power over the reigns of government resist temptation in democracies?See, it's all a matter of degree. Given complete control, the people with power will steal unchecked. Given less control, they will steal slightly less.Given that, do you want people to be able to steal a lot, a medium amount, or none at all?
Qadaffi didn't get rich because he had a lot of social welfare programs, or that he raised taxes on the wealthy, or he increased regulations on banks, or that he implemented universal healthcare.That's what your implying. That's why we're laughing at you and your one-dimensional interpretation of the world.
The obvious point is that the difference between the richest people and the average person in centrally planned economies that lack rights is FAR more than in the supposedly evil capitalist economies. The people who complain the most about wealth inequity are the ones who support govt control of the economy -- something more like Libya -- over free markets. Qadaffi isn't an outlier for central planning, it's the expected and predictable result.
This is sad. Yeah when liberals complain about economic inequality, they are pushing for "something more like the crazy dictator" model. I think silent snow broke your brain.
Qadaffi didn't get rich because he had a lot of social welfare programs, or that he raised taxes on the wealthy, or he increased regulations on banks, or that he implemented universal healthcare.That's what your implying. That's why we're laughing at you and your one-dimensional interpretation of the world.
I'm not saying or implying any of those things. What I am saying, and I guess I need to point it out explicitly, is that giving power and money to politicians is like giving car keys and vodka to teenagers. The same people who complain about the "wealth inequity" in the US are the exact same ones who want to give *MORE* power to politicians and move us closer to an economy where the spoils go to those with political power. The people who want to complain about inequity need to stop pulling in the wrong direction.
I'm not saying or implying any of those things. What I am saying, and I guess I need to point it out explicitly, is that giving power and money to politicians is like giving car keys and vodka to teenagers. The same people who complain about the "wealth inequity" in the US are the exact same ones who want to give *MORE* power to politicians and move us closer to an economy where the spoils go to those with political power. The people who want to complain about inequity need to stop pulling in the wrong direction.
Here's my take on what you're saying:Liberals in this country want things like a more progressive tax plan, better social programs, and more regulations on banks and corporations. According to the world in your eyes, on a 1-dimensional political/socio-economic spectrum, these things are closer to the "more government control" end. Libya was also far on that end, and things in Libya are bad. Therefore, the things Liberals want are bad.Others disagree with that argument. They think that the US is so different than Libya and Liberal social programs are so far removed from a military dictatorship that such comparisons are silly. They think that there are many countries that are more "liberal" than the US which don't automatically fall into dictatorship. (However, there are more "liberal" countries that DO. It's not really a straight line. ZOMG!) Some on this board could potentially argue that, in the United States, it is the well-connected CEO's (not, say, the President) who often increase their wealthy manipulating laws in their favor and stealing from the treasury (see: banking deregulation, bailouts). And, yes, this is a bad thing. And yes, there is also political corruption. But this doesn't mean that liberal policies will bring us to a dictatorship, and arguing agains them using the most extreme case on a false spectrum is, again, silly.
Some on this board could potentially argue that, in the United States, it is the well-connected CEO's (not, say, the President) who often increase their wealthy manipulating laws in their favor and stealing from the treasury (see: banking deregulation, bailouts). And, yes, this is a bad thing. And yes, there is also political corruption. But this doesn't mean that liberal policies will bring us to a dictatorship, and arguing agains them using the most extreme case on a false spectrum is, again, silly.
This is the case I was discussing; the people who complain the most about wealth inequality are the ones who want to give politicians the power to claim the fruit of others' labor by political fiat.As I said, those people need to stop pulling in the wrong direction. Yes, policies that encourage the government to pick winners and losers in the economy are basically just Qaddafi with a smile. Sure, the guys with guns put on a friendly face some of the time, and the politicians are able to convince the gullible that it is for their own good, but in the end, the difference is in degree, not in substance.