#occupywallstreet Or Bourbonstreet Or Sesamestreet

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article explains, but doesn't point out, why the rich getting richer also leads to the poor getting richer.You can't make much money unless you bring other people with you, because no one person has the ability or means to do so. This is where it really does take a village (unlike raising my kids, which my wife and I do just fine on our own).
You can't make much money unless you bring other people with you, because no one person has the ability or means to do so.
Counter example: Dick Fuld, et alMeaning, his net wealth went up, but the result was man people's net wealth going down
Other than that, you can use any other normal banking techniques except collateral backed loan practices. 3rd, Every time someone tells me that the top have the most percentage of money and the trend is worsening, I think the same thing. "Do you really think that at one point in time the last $4 will be in the hands of some former middle class person and the rich guy will drive by in a limo and snatch it out of their hand then laugh into some gated country club?" Because the implication is exactly that.
Your first point seems unfair. If these people want to put up their trailers or vespas, that seems reasonable, so long as the quality of the lending value is not the basis of qualification.Also, your last point has again crossed the line from troll to gibberish.
Counter example: Dick Fuld, et alMeaning, his net wealth went up, but the result was man people's net wealth going down
I was talking about free markets, not corporatism.
Your first point seems unfair. If these people want to put up their trailers or vespas, that seems reasonable, so long as the quality of the lending value is not the basis of qualification.Also, your last point has again crossed the line from troll to gibberish.
I disagree, the last point made sense to me. The OWS'ers and others like to imply that without the kind hand of government to stop the rich, eventually the rich will end up with every last dollar, and the only way anyone will get any of it back is by working 20 hours days in dark buildings for 10 cents an hour. This theory, which you can find being espoused quite frequently from "the 99%" to various degrees, obviously bears little resemblance to any situation likely to occur under rule of law and free markets. (I'll admit it is nearly possible under crony capitalism). There is a natural limit to wealth accumulation, for obvious reasons, so any implication otherwise is silly.
I disagree, the last point made sense to me. The OWS'ers and others like to imply that without the kind hand of government to stop the rich, eventually the rich will end up with every last dollar, and the only way anyone will get any of it back is by working 20 hours days in dark buildings for 10 cents an hour. This theory, which you can find being espoused quite frequently from "the 99%" to various degrees, obviously bears little resemblance to any situation likely to occur under rule of law and free markets. (I'll admit it is nearly possible under crony capitalism). There is a natural limit to wealth accumulation, for obvious reasons, so any implication otherwise is silly.
It might help if I listened to any of the OWS stuff. I really don't. You guys know though, that just because someone suggests a trend, doesn't mean they are arguing that whatever the trend's extreme is the eventuality, right?
It might help if I listened to any of the OWS stuff. I really don't. You guys know though, that just because someone suggests a trend, doesn't mean they are arguing that whatever the trend's extreme is the eventuality, right?
On here I would agree. Watching the OWS people being interviewed... not so much. I think a large fraction of them literally believe the Enslaved Peon Theory.
On here I would agree. Watching the OWS people being interviewed... not so much. I think a large fraction of them literally believe the Enslaved Peon Theory.
Yeah, I've been paying zip attention to any Occupy movements. Right now it is just a bunch of bored students, dropouts and homeless people whining about what they don't have.
Yeah, I've been paying zip attention to any Occupy movements. Right now it is just a bunch of bored students, dropouts and homeless people whining about what they don't have.
You sure changed your tune quickly.You should know better than to doubt me,
You sure changed your tune quickly.You should know better than to doubt me,
I didn't change my tune, or my opinion, at all. Not even a little. I pointed out you were making terrible counterarguments against an argument that in itself, was already terrible.
Yeah, it does help when you let people immigrate normally and live a life of their choosing, rather than go over to their country, chain them up in a boat, enslave them, then emancipate them with no assets, education or history. Amazing that the groups cannot be as productive in the 'short term.'
Why do they have no education?Wouldn't that- in and of itself- have a pretty glaring implication as far as 'equality' goes?All that other stuff was done to the Jews and the outcome was the opposite, so we can't really put much stock in it
Why do they have no education?Wouldn't that- in and of itself- have a pretty glaring implication as far as 'equality' goes?All that other stuff was done to the Jews and the outcome was the opposite, so we can't really put much stock in it
i) I don't know, you'll have to ask your forefathers why they didn't educate their slaves.ii) No.iii) Maybe I read the wrong history books, but I don't recall Jews being forced to live in a certain place and enslaved for several generations.
iii) Maybe I read the wrong history books, but I don't recall Jews being forced to live in a certain place and enslaved for several generations.
Likely you haven't read any history books is this is your position.First look up the word GhettoWe invented it for Jews.Next the word PogramCause when you do one thing so often they need to invent a word for it, it's probably something bad.Then pick any European nation, any one, and read its history. I can bet you one long period will be about how they blamed the Jews, drove them out after killing the bankers to forgive their own loans, then found their society screwed because they had no bankers, lawyers, doctors, tailors, bakers, etc.(Jews were not allowed to own land in Europe, so they took professions that didn't require land ownership.)
Likely you haven't read any history books is this is your position.First look up the word GhettoWe invented it for Jews.Next the word PogramCause when you do one thing so often they need to invent a word for it, it's probably something bad.Then pick any European nation, any one, and read its history. I can bet you one long period will be about how they blamed the Jews, drove them out after killing the bankers to forgive their own loans, then found their society screwed because they had no bankers, lawyers, doctors, tailors, bakers, etc.(Jews were not allowed to own land in Europe, so they took professions that didn't require land ownership.)
Thanks for the irrelevant examples. I'm familiar with all those things. Jews were treated very poorly. Stlll doesn't come close to actually meeting the conditions we're discussing.
Thanks for the irrelevant examples. I'm familiar with all those things. Jews were treated very poorly. Stlll doesn't come close to actually meeting the conditions we're discussing.
I think you are deflecting.Why are you deflecting?I mean I hate it when Scram's racism has some basis in reality also, but I don't fight it like you are seeming to do.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/bruceupbin/201...upy-bay-street/Overheard At Occupy Bay StreetActual Quote from Protester Occupying Bay Street of Toronto’s Stock Exchange:“It’s weird protesting on Bay Street. You get there at 9 a.m. and the rich bankers who you want to hurl insults at and change their worldview have been at work for two hours already. And then when it’s time for me to go home, the bankers are all still there. I guess that’s why they call them the one per cent. I mean, who wants to work those kinds of hours….”
http://www.forbes.com/sites/bruceupbin/201...upy-bay-street/Overheard At Occupy Bay StreetActual Quote from Protester Occupying Bay Street of Toronto’s Stock Exchange:“It’s weird protesting on Bay Street. You get there at 9 a.m. and the rich bankers who you want to hurl insults at and change their worldview have been at work for two hours already. And then when it’s time for me to go home, the bankers are all still there. I guess that’s why they call them the one per cent. I mean, who wants to work those kinds of hours….”
Reminds me of when Tom Brokaw or one of those multi-million dollar a year news anchors was at an early morning show and commented how they were jealous of the homeless guy he passed on his way into work at 4 AM because he got to sleep in. the other news anchors looked at him like he was an idiot, which was the only accurate thing shared on that show.
i) I don't know, you'll have to ask your forefathers why they didn't educate their slaves.ii) No.
Actually, it does. The implication is that negroes are too stupid to do it on their own, so it was the white man's responsibility to do it for them. Unfortunately, the implication is true, per all other indicators. At the root of a lot of 'equality dogma', you find the soft-racism of mighty-whitey neglecting his responsibilities to raise up the lowly nigra. Keep an eye out for it. You'll notice it in the most shocking places...
iii) Maybe I read the wrong history books, but I don't recall Jews being forced to live in a certain place and enslaved for several generations.
Jesus fucking christ... Wow. Just, wow. And by "wow", I mean "wow" like in the way one reacts when Clint Howard steps on screen. clint-howard-sm.jpgYou just earned a Clint Howard Wow with that.
Actual Quote from Protester Occupying Bay Street of Toronto’s Stock Exchange:“It’s weird protesting on Bay Street. You get there at 9 a.m. and the rich bankers who you want to hurl insults at and change their worldview have been at work for two hours already. And then when it’s time for me to go home, the bankers are all still there. I guess that’s why they call them the one per cent. I mean, who wants to work those kinds of hours….”
There are a lot of lazy pissbums amongst them for sure. I've been avoiding their part of downtown like the plague. There are too many agent provocateurs and Big Brother henchmen making lists and checking it twice to even risk having a passing dialog with one.*
I think you are deflecting.Why are you deflecting?I mean I hate it when Scram's racism has some basis in reality also, but I don't fight it like you are seeming to do.
I'm not deflecting. I was addressing the original discussion, which you and Scrammy changed completely because you felt like ranting about what you always rant about.I count 2-3 rants and irrelevant attacks from each of you since the original point, which is still completely unaddressed.

Guess they aren't able to 'just get along'.

Fights are erupting among Occupy Wall Street protesters, so much so that one corner of Zuccotti Park has emerged where protesters say they won't go for fear of their safety, the New York Daily News is reporting.