#occupywallstreet Or Bourbonstreet Or Sesamestreet

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of Scram's stuff is pretty verbatim Murray/Herrnstein/Mankind Quarterly Bell Curve garbage, all of which has been discredited ad nauseam by people who are actual scholars in cognition and genetics.You can read about the book and its awesome misuse and interpretation of statistics here. The authors, like Scram, began from a point of view of vulgar racism and by couching their overt racism within some graphs and flowery language, they wished to make themselves and their readers feel better about being racist ("We aren't racist, we're just RIGHT!!!!LOL!!1"). Except, you know, the whole 800 page epithet is dismissible with one thought: to quote Gould, "Intelligence, in their formulation, must be depictable as a single number, capable of ranking people in linear order, genetically based, and effectively immutable. If any of these premises are false, their entire argument collapses. For example, if all are true except immutability, then programs for early intervention in education might work to boost IQ permanently, just as a pair of eyeglasses may correct a genetic defect in vision. The central argument of The Bell Curve fails because most of the premises are false." IQ tests without factor analysis are meaningless. You know, unless you're racist and wish to confirm some of your racist biases.

I went to a protest today. It was awesome what a disaster it was. The "leader" was from New York City and basically everyone formed a big circle and took turns yelling about how terrible America is. I saw FOUR people wearing pro-Mao t-shirts. One pro-Che t-shirt. Zero American flags. Lots of people (relatively speaking) with anti-capitalism signs. There were probably 40 protesters and 40 journalists.My favorite sign (held by a 19 year old (+/- one year) co-ed student):"Last year I paid more taxes than US BANK. What the ****?"

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-wall-s...ut-2011-10?op=1CHARTS: Here's What The Wall Street Protesters Are So Angry About...(I like charts because even people like BG can follow them.)
i can agree that bankers are scumbags.
All of Scram's stuff is pretty verbatim Murray/Herrnstein/Mankind Quarterly Bell Curve garbage, all of which has been discredited ad nauseam by people who are actual scholars in cognition and genetics.You can read about the book and its awesome misuse and interpretation of statistics here. The authors, like Scram, began from a point of view of vulgar racism and by couching their overt racism within some graphs and flowery language, they wished to make themselves and their readers feel better about being racist ("We aren't racist, we're just RIGHT!!!!LOL!!1"). Except, you know, the whole 800 page epithet is dismissible with one thought: to quote Gould, "Intelligence, in their formulation, must be depictable as a single number, capable of ranking people in linear order, genetically based, and effectively immutable. If any of these premises are false, their entire argument collapses.
'The Bell Curve' has been 'discredited' in precisely the same way the 9.11 "Truth" movement has "discredited" the government.- that is to say, there are lots of proposals, theories, dangling questions and good intentions, but nothing that rises to the level of being able to negate the plain, A-B implication that exists before our eyes... Kinda like that great quote about theoretical physics saying that we can hang an elephant off a cliff by tying his tail to a daisy? The genetic implication is hard science. The rebut from academia that you cite as discrediting is 'soft science' and subject to all the ideological manipulations we regularly see with that sort of thing. Academia is good for some things- hard sciences being one- but it has an abysmal record with the soft sciences, since the outcomes are so regularly contaminated by the ideological carbon-copy hive mind that defines it. What I'd like to see is every 'academic' who rises to oppose something like TBC to write a thesis as far as their conclusions about the Russian foxes and the hereditary transmission of behavioral traits. I'll give you a preview of what that would look like..."We agree with everything the Russian scientists have concluded about foxes, in addition to every other scientist in the world who have concluded the exact same thing about every species of flora and fauna on earth. Further, we recognize all this is a central basis for evolution... As far as it's application to people..... Uh... Well... MAYBE NOT BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE RACIST AND WHAT ABOUT GUNS, GERMS AND STEEL!"And people like you are very quick to reference that sort of thing as a crushing rebut of TBC when in reality, it's just not that way.
For example, if all are true except immutability, then programs for early intervention in education might work to boost IQ permanently, just as a pair of eyeglasses may correct a genetic defect in vision. The central argument of The Bell Curve fails because most of the premises are false." IQ tests without factor analysis are meaningless. You know, unless you're racist and wish to confirm some of your racist biases.
They took embryos from the aggressive foxes, implanted them in passive mothers and the pups still came out aggressive. What does this imply to you?To sum it all up in a way everyone can understand...hahaha1.jpgIt's entirely possible that indeed, that DOES verify some unfortunately racist conclusions. Instead of dismissing those conclusions because they've been characterized by contemporary idealism as "bad", try being objective about whether they're logically right or wrong.
They took embryos from the aggressive foxes, implanted them in passive mothers and the pups still came out aggressive. What does this imply to you?To sum it all up in a way everyone can understand...hahaha1.jpgIt's entirely possible that indeed, that DOES verify some unfortunately racist conclusions. Instead of dismissing those conclusions because they've been characterized by contemporary idealism as "bad", try being objective about whether they're logically right or wrong.
That tells me that some aspects of nature cannot be overcome by nurture. Which says basically nothing about the value of people or their equality. There's no more reason to treat people from Africa differently than a white guy from backwoods Kentucky.
Nation Waiting For Protesters To Clearly Articulate Demands Before Ignoring Themtop comment from reddit, pretty spot-on:
Seriously though: OWS protesters, if you want the world to care what you have to say, please leave the Guy Fawkes masks (and the November 5 rhetoric) at home.You're not impressing anyone. The average American is going to think you're a weirdo. Anyone who actually knows anything about Guy Fawkes is going to think you're a bandwagon-jumper with no historical perspective and no clue what you're talking about.
Is there more to this story?If this is playing out as presented on this website, it is the quickest way to build support for the OWS movement. The cops and the banks couldn't give them more support if they painted signs and marched with them. Which is why I wonder if there is more to it than this. The bank has to know this.
Is there more to this story?If this is playing out as presented on this website, it is the quickest way to build support for the OWS movement. The cops and the banks couldn't give them more support if they painted signs and marched with them. Which is why I wonder if there is more to it than this. The bank has to know this.
The bank's security department is probably making the call and they aren't going to be strategic thinkers.

In other news, protestors at #occupyMN tried to stage a sit-in at a big bank and get arrested. The bank locked the doors, so the protestors went out and lay down in the street attempting to get arrested. The cops re-routed traffic and ignored the protestors. After 20 minutes, the protestors moved on.

In other news, protestors at #occupyMN tried to stage a sit-in at a big bank and get arrested. The bank locked the doors, so the protestors went out and lay down in the street attempting to get arrested. The cops re-routed traffic and ignored the protestors. After 20 minutes, the protestors moved on.
smart policing
Video of a badass Marine yelling at NYC Police about roughing up Americans that he had fought to protect.
Typical scene-making, "look at me" hollering Negro, but someone like that was the right tool for the job that needed to be done there and he is absolutely a hero.
I guess the occupy people ion Europe have just jumped straight into the violence?Only a matter of time before it happens here.
That's the spirit!Also, economic protests have been happening in many European cities for months and months, and in some places (Greece), years.
That's the spirit!Also, economic protests have been happening in many European cities for months and months, and in some places (Greece), years.
if they spent the time working instead of protesting they may not have anything to protest.
oh come on, scrams new yorker post was humorous! and he's part jew so it's completely legal.
[Jerry voice] I think he converted for the jokes!So I'm going to try to convince these nitwits to start an Occupy K Street movement instead. Who's with me?