#occupywallstreet Or Bourbonstreet Or Sesamestreet

This is an idea that would only vaguely work, in hugely problematic ways, and with moral gaps you could drive a bus through.
up-or-down-thumb7520953.jpg
As per usual, a post ironically devoid of content, usefulness or reason.
  • Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sign of their demise?53 people show up at DC Rally
Attempting to emulate the Occupy Wall Street protests, Washington activists and some out-of-town guests set themselves the lofty goal of occupying the Hart Senate Office Building. “We are there to shut the place down!” organizer David Swanson told his small band of followers.But how to do this with only a few dozen demonstrators? Well, Swanson said, they could push all the buttons on the elevators — the way naughty children sometimes do in apartment buildings. “There are people who are wanting to go into the elevators and fill them and not get out and push all the buttons,” he said. “If you like that, do it.”This set off a lengthy debate in Freedom Plaza, at the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and 14th Street NW, as activists came to the microphone to argue the pros and cons of elevator disruption.“Let’s face it, our numbers are not enough to shut this building down,” said the representative from Veterans for Peace. “I think pushing elevator buttons is stupid.”A woman wearing a Planned Parenthood pin and a “U.S. Boat to Gaza” T-shirt was ambivalent. “I’m ready to take over and shut down that building,” she said. “We don’t have that many people, but we need to do it. Maybe standing in elevators isn’t going to do it, but we need to figure it out.”Swanson was adamant. “We should be blocking down the elevators, blocking down the bathrooms,” he said, before designating an “elevator team” dedicated to the purpose. “We’re going after the building precisely to inconvenience everybody who works there.”In the end, they blocked neither elevators nor bathrooms, and inconvenienced nobody but a few Capitol Police officers, who silenced the demonstration after 20 minutes
Sign of their demise?53 people show up at DC Rally
i wonder why they can't get a job doing something productive in a difficult business enviroment...i find it shocking...somehow i am sure it is racist and most likely W's fault.
i wonder why they can't get a job doing something productive in a difficult business enviroment...i find it shocking...somehow i am sure it is racist and most likely W's fault.
in normal times, when it's actually quite easy to get a foot in the door if you put in the effort to get a degree, I don't mind blaming the individual. right now, if you don't have a hard skill, have connections, or have that entrepreneurial drive, you're basically fucked.been saying this for two years, I know, but it's not any less true now...
Nearly all of you are fucking idiots.I'm not even going to tell you why, because even more than this, it's a waste of keystrokes.
/thread
Yeah, you lost me there. From what I can tell, mk is only interested in sniping insults and running away. If that's what epistemology means, he's the king, but FCP Bob is the exact opposite of that.
oh give me a break you fucking idiot
in normal times, when it's actually quite easy to get a foot in the door if you put in the effort to get a degree, I don't mind blaming the individual. right now, if you don't have a hard skill, have connections, or have that entrepreneurial drive, you're basically fucked.been saying this for two years, I know, but it's not any less true now...
million dollar idea, putting this on a t-shirt and selling them in front of the cbot. guarantee every trader buys oneaWHdm.jpg
in normal times, when it's actually quite easy to get a foot in the door if you put in the effort to get a degree, I don't mind blaming the individual. right now, if you don't have a hard skill, have connections, or have that entrepreneurial drive, you're basically ****ed.been saying this for two years, I know, but it's not any less true now...
i never said it was easy, it never has been easy - right now it is tougher then most but it still can be done...if you don't have a hard skill you should learn one and do general labor until you do, saying it is hard doesn't cut itif you don't have connections you should get your ass out networking in the field you are trained inif you don't have entrepreneurial drive you are going to be at somebody else mercy forever so you had better get used to some tough times.
That article is extremely idiotic, and is extremely poor journalism.
I don’t say this with satisfaction: A revived populist movement could be a crucial counterweight to the Tea Party, restoring some balance to a political system that has tilted heavily to the right. But while the Occupy movement in the capital has invigorated left-wing groups — Code Pink, Veterans for Peace, Common Dreams, Peace Action, DC Vote, Community Council for the Homeless and a score of other labor and progressive organizations are represented on Freedom Plaza — it has not ignited anything resembling a populist rebellion. To swell their ranks, protesters recruited the homeless to camp with them.
Regarding the bolded, stories I've read and seen about the protests in NY and Boston have noted that homeless people have, unsurprisingly, taken up residence with the protesters. There is free food being given out. There are beds and tents that can be shared. Homeless people obviously feel disenfranchised. Mostly though: free food. The idea that the protesters are recruiting homeless people in order to "swell their ranks" is, to put it nicely, fucking retarded. Our esteemed author offers no evidence for his assertion, and totally ignores the free food angle.
53 people show up at DC Rally
The Boston protest is growing, and counts among its members a number of veterans, as do the protests in NY and even the one in DC, according to that horrible, horrible article you linked. Anyway, this other article quotes a guy whose last name is apparently Funke, which is amazing. He mentions his son but does not mention his son't first name, so I'm going to assume that it's Tobias.
Funke spent 13 years on and off in the military, and he served in Vietnam.Now, he is unemployed. He and other members of Veterans for Peace have been at Occupy Boston since the first day, he said.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachus..._common_ground/Boooooo veterans, right!? Damn unemployed-hippie-veterans!!...

Why would you get upset that I pointed out that 53 people showed up at DC and their plan was to push elevator buttons but the veterens told them that was stupid and then they quit?Its a part of this movement. It was a scheduled protest, and it was a disaster.I never said it was the whole movement, I just asked if the trend was failing.BTW, what's the over/under on when they start seriously breaking things and lighting things on fire?I say a week from Sunday is the line. Over or Under?

That article is extremely idiotic, and is extremely poor journalism.
It is still true that only 53 people showed up and the veterans were the only ones that thought pushing the elevator buttons was stupid. It's writing style is irrelevant to the truth of the story.
Regarding the bolded, stories I've read and seen about the protests in NY and Boston have noted that homeless people have, unsurprisingly, taken up residence with the protesters. There is free food being given out. There are beds and tents that can be shared. Homeless people obviously feel disenfranchised. Mostly though: free food. The idea that the protesters are recruiting homeless people in order to "swell their ranks" is, to put it nicely, f ing retarded. Our esteemed author offers no evidence for his assertion, and totally ignores the free food angle.
So they bribe homeless people with free food in order to swell their numbers because its free? And because they are giving away free food, the action of recruiting homeless isn't relevant.
The Boston protest is growing, and counts among its members a number of veterans, as do the protests in NY and even the one in DC, according to that horrible, horrible article you linked. Anyway, this other article quotes a guy whose last name is apparently Funke, which is amazing. He mentions his son but does not mention his son't first name, so I'm going to assume that it's Tobias.
? Does a person's status as veteran or not make their stance on political issues more or less correct.I have a good friend who's last name is Funky. Are they pronounced the same you think?
Boooooo veterans, right!? Damn unemployed-hippie-veterans!!...
You know the story painted the veterans as the voice of reason. The same one you called poorly written. Lucky for us they were there, or the Otis company was going to be getting a service call a little early this cycle I tell you.
are you anti-wall street, BG?
I would sell something short or leverage something to make a million dollars for myself in a second, so I am aware that being anti-wall street is hypocritical on my part.Having said that, I would not lose a wink of sleep if the protesters started shooting the executive board of most of wall street financial houses.I think the sad part is that capitalism works best when its run by honorable people. But it shouldn't work as bad as it did even with complete scumbags. Just a perfect storm of politicians and greedy financial idiots who burned the house we are all living in, in order to make a quick buck for themselves. The result will be a pendulum swing in this country that will hurt us so much more than it would have to just let the markets fix itself.
spademan was wrong to exclude you from his list of smart people.
From his narrow perspective I can understand why I am not smart in his eyes. I am impressed with his diction, but his logical conclusions and blind following of equally poorly thought out authors like Dawkins is sad to me for someone who can express himself so forcefully. However I am completely willing to give an active service man the floor to speak over me about anything anytime.
So they bribe homeless people with free food in order to swell their numbers because its free?
Nope.
? Does a person's status as veteran or not make their stance on political issues more or less correct.
No, I just figured you'd show them more respect than you do the dirty hippies.
I have a good friend who's last name is Funky. Are they pronounced the same you think?
http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0011699/
You know the story painted the veterans as the voice of reason. The same one you called poorly written.
I had no problem with the author's writing style. It was his meaning and his supposed factual analysis that I thought was "retarded."

Watching a program on PBS right now, about the recent scientific inquiry into dogs. The conclusions line up with what we all already knew- that there's a colossal hereditary basis for certain behavior types, mother nature is very much in play with all living creatures and that 'nurture' cannot overcome it.For example, a study in Hungary on the domestication of wolves... They took wolf pups and tried to raise them as domestic animals from absolute infancy. Total failure. Didn't work.Scientists in Russia, during a project to domesticate silver foxes showed that about 1 in 100 foxes showed no fear or aggression towards humans, so they simply selected those as the basis for breeding, then repeated the process every generation. After 8 generations, the foxes- normally nasty as hell- were completely tame and started to take on characteristics of domestic dogs (floppy ears, curly tails, etc). They also learned that aggression was a reliably patrilineal thing. Foxes with mean mothers and nice fathers became nice...The reason I bring this up is because if we disregard the fantasists who believe humans were magically created by an all-powerful sky wizard, how can you possibly resolve 'equality' amongst different breeds of people when the evidence from the natural world is just so clear? I mean, the very logical basis for Evolution is that certain capacities/traits will be selected for and transmitted, causing genetic typing and favoring certain traits, including intelligence, speed, etc. To suggest that different races are 'equal' - even a little bit- is to suggest that the fundamental laws of the natural world don't apply to human beings and that evolution isn't true. The fact that all evidence before our eyes glaringly proves the inequality of man yet we waste how much time and energy concocting bizarre theories as to why the things we see before our eyes somehow aren't true? Why in spite of wildly different evolutionary trajectories, even though all evidence points to the negative, that sub-Saharan African Negroes are magically 'equal' to the Japanese... but we're perfectly willing to acknowledge the genetic and hereditary variance about a horse, or a dog... .but it doesn't apply to us humans, right?

Even I wouldn't argue that Japanese are "equal" to Somalians, or Native Americans, or Pashtuns. They quite obviously look very different. They quite obviously have, on average, very different and predictable physical attributes. And since the brain is just another part of the physical body, it's quite possible, perhaps even obvious, that they may have quite different types of average intelligence. However I also think that "intelligence" is far more abstract and difficult to fully quantify than "speed" is, to use your examples.But "equality" only has a precise meaning when we're using it in a mathematical sense. No two people anywhere in the world are equal to each other in the way that 2 plus 2 is equal to 4, so I'm not sure where you're trying to go with your argument. When people talk about equality of the races, the point is for all races and peoples to be treated with equal respect and to be given equal opportunities, not that everyone everywhere is exactly the same. Do you think people should be given or denied opportunities based on their race rather than on their specific abilities and skills? What sense does that make? So I guess my main question is: what's your point? And a lesser question: why did you choose this thread to make your argument? I'm confused on that because to a large degree these protests seem to be WASPs and Jews protesting against other WASPs and Jews.

Watching a program on PBS right now, about the recent scientific inquiry into dogs. The conclusions line up with what we all already knew- that there's a colossal hereditary basis for certain behavior types, mother nature is very much in play with all living creatures and that 'nurture' cannot overcome it.For example, a study in Hungary on the domestication of wolves... They took wolf pups and tried to raise them as domestic animals from absolute infancy. Total failure. Didn't work.Scientists in Russia, during a project to domesticate silver foxes showed that about 1 in 100 foxes showed no fear or aggression towards humans, so they simply selected those as the basis for breeding, then repeated the process every generation. After 8 generations, the foxes- normally nasty as hell- were completely tame and started to take on characteristics of domestic dogs (floppy ears, curly tails, etc). They also learned that aggression was a reliably patrilineal thing. Foxes with mean mothers and nice fathers became nice...The reason I bring this up is because if we disregard the fantasists who believe humans were magically created by an all-powerful sky wizard, how can you possibly resolve 'equality' amongst different breeds of people when the evidence from the natural world is just so clear? I mean, the very logical basis for Evolution is that certain capacities/traits will be selected for and transmitted, causing genetic typing and favoring certain traits, including intelligence, speed, etc. To suggest that different races are 'equal' - even a little bit- is to suggest that the fundamental laws of the natural world don't apply to human beings and that evolution isn't true. The fact that all evidence before our eyes glaringly proves the inequality of man yet we waste how much time and energy concocting bizarre theories as to why the things we see before our eyes somehow aren't true? Why in spite of wildly different evolutionary trajectories, even though all evidence points to the negative, that sub-Saharan African Negroes are magically 'equal' to the Japanese... but we're perfectly willing to acknowledge the genetic and hereditary variance about a horse, or a dog... .but it doesn't apply to us humans, right?
This does explain why so many evolutionist are racist. In fact its the basis for their racism.
The current unemployment rate for a person with a bachelor's degree or higher is 4%.
The current unemployment rate for a person with a bachelor's degree or higher is 4%.
What is it for people in their 20s with a bachelor's degree? I think that's the group that Strat was really referring to.
Yeah, but he is "employed". I don't think that's the issue. It's the jobs that they get. Without an advanced degree you are likely to not get a job leading you to the higher earners category.
What is it for people in their 20s with a bachelor's degree? I think that's the group that Strat was really referring to.
not to mention the rampant underemployment.