How To Drive

this is douchey. If you are in the fast lane, it is your responsibility to yield to a faster car coming behind you, regardless of whether you are passing somebody or not. This involves not getting yourself in a position where you are blocking the left lane while passing a slower vehicle in the right. This means either slowing down in the right lane and waiting for a better oppurtunity to pass, or speeding up to pass, so as not to clog up the left lane.
What do you do when you're passing a whole string of cars where you're doing about 70 and they're stuck around 55 and you see a car coming up on you from behind? Do you need to slow way down so you can try to slide in between this line of cars or is it okay to pass them all before getting over?
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you do when you're passing a whole string of cars where you're doing about 70 and they're stuck around 55 and you see a car coming up on you from behind? Do you need to slow way down so you can try to slide in between this line of cars or is it okay to pass them all before getting over?
I personally have no issue with the above.I hate when someone comes into the fast lane while I am doing 75 and they decide to do 58 to pass people doing 55. That annoys me a little.
If I ever find myself in such a position, I usually either speed up to match the speed of the guy behind me, until we have moved past the line, at which point I move over, or I try to find a spot in the lineup to squeeze in, to let the guy pass. Nobody ever does this for me though, when I am the guy coming from behind in the left lane.obviously, there are going to be certain situations that are unavoidable; a car coming unreasonably fast behind you that you could not have anticipated. No spots in the line to slide in, etc..
I agree with Steve on this scenario. I'm never annoyed if it's easy to see that the guy was passing a huge mass of semi's or something.However, I would never be that guy, because if anyone was coming up behind me, I would speed up and move over.
Nobody ever does this for me though, when I am the guy coming from behind in the left lane.
Agreed. And it's because people are terrible drivers.
this is douchey. If you are in the fast lane, it is your responsibility to yield to a faster car coming behind you, regardless of whether you are passing somebody or not. This involves not getting yourself in a position where you are blocking the left lane while passing a slower vehicle in the right. This means either slowing down in the right lane and waiting for a better oppurtunity to pass, or speeding up to pass, so as not to clog up the left lane.
When I'm cruising along at 10 over the speed limit and someone comes up behind me I move over the first opportunity I get. If you decide I don't move over fast enough for your liking and start trying to "intimidate" me then you will get "douche". If I'm doing 10 over and am "holding you up" you need to slow down anyway. I won't do anything unless the driver behind me starts provoking it by tailgating, high beaming or weaving back and forth. If that makes me a douche then I guess I am, I can live with that. I'm not going to slow down to get out of someone's way, they can wait until I have the opportunity to yield. Yielding to a faster car doesn't mean slowing down to tuck into the slow lane it means moving to the right at the first opportunity it's clear.
If I'm doing 10 over and am "holding you up" you need to slow down anyway.
This is the entire problem, and your previous post was oozing with this attitude.

This is the typical selfish attitude of highway drivers that "my speed is the correct speed. that guy is going too fast, that guy is going too slow, I'll move over when it is convenient to ME".The general rule is "Slower drivers keep to the right", not "slower drivers keep to the right, unless it would inconvenience you to do so"

Maybe I'm not explaining the situation good enough. Let's say the speed limit is 70 mph and we are doing 80 mph in the left lane and are passing a line of cars doing about 75. About half way past this line another car comes up behind us doing about 85 or higher. I maintain my 80 and get over after I pass the first car in that line. What's the problem? I don't hold up anyone until provoked by intimidation factors and won't hold anyone up if there are other cars behind them. If you have your hazards on and come up behind me then I will assume an emergency situation and get out of your way by all means necessary. If not then what's the problem with waiting until I have a clear lane to move over? Slowing down to move in behind someone seems to me would hold someone up even more than just continuing until it's clear and then moving to the right.I will admit I am in the wrong when I retaliate to the intimidation factors but other than that what is wrong with this situation.

Maybe I'm not explaining the situation good enough. Let's say the speed limit is 70 mph and we are doing 80 mph in the left lane and are passing a line of cars doing about 75. About half way past this line another car comes up behind us doing about 85 or higher. I maintain my 80 and get over after I pass the first car in that line. What's the problem? I don't hold up anyone until provoked by intimidation factors and won't hold anyone up if there are other cars behind them. If you have your hazards on and come up behind me then I will assume an emergency situation and get out of your way by all means necessary. If not then what's the problem with waiting until I have a clear lane to move over? Slowing down to move in behind someone seems to me would hold someone up even more than just continuing until it's clear and then moving to the right.I will admit I am in the wrong when I retaliate to the intimidation factors but other than that what is wrong with this situation.
In that scenario nothing is wrong.If you're passing cars on the inside lane and don't have a spot to move over to make room for the guy going faster then you who has come up behind you then you shouldn't be expected to speed up or make a dangerous move into the inside lane to accomodate the faster car. Once you do have a clear spot to move over you of course should.
This is the typical selfish attitude of highway drivers that "my speed is the correct speed. that guy is going too fast, that guy is going too slow, I'll move over when it is convenient to ME".The general rule is "Slower drivers keep to the right", not "slower drivers keep to the right, unless it would inconvenience you to do so"
I don't agree that, if I am trying reasonably above the speed limit and passing, that I should slow down to fit back into the lane to let someone going way too fast get past.If I'm going 115 in a 100 zone (CANADA), I am not slowing down to 100 and moving over to let some dick in a Subaru fling past at 140. If there's room, I'll move over, and if there isn't, I'll move over as soon as I can (i.e. not force him to pass on the right).But I'm not going out of my way to let someone driving dangerously fast have the whole lane to himself. The rule is that the left lane is for passing, not the left lane is reserved for whoever wants to drive the fastest.

I've noticed this a lot lately. When entering a parking lot for a strip mall or even a regular mall, one does not often have a stop sign. People leaving do have a stop sign. Most of the time this involves crossing paths in some way. Anyway, it seems like I'm either getting dirty looks from the people who start to go but I cut them off because they have a stop sign or I'm having to stop because they do not stop at their sign. Or they feel that because they've stopped once, they can now go whenever. I even had one guy honk his horn at me. He was driving a yellow convertible sports car of some type. My finger extended of course. And, I stopped in front of him for good measure (fyi, it wasn't like he was going to miss a light or anything). He looked like a total douche. I'm not just saying that because of the situation. His gf was hot too. Douche likelihood: 94%.

I don't agree that, if I am trying reasonably above the speed limit and passing, that I should slow down to fit back into the lane to let someone going way too fast get past.If I'm going 115 in a 100 zone (CANADA), I am not slowing down to 100 and moving over to let some dick in a Subaru fling past at 140. If there's room, I'll move over, and if there isn't, I'll move over as soon as I can (i.e. not force him to pass on the right).But I'm not going out of my way to let someone driving dangerously fast have the whole lane to himself. The rule is that the left lane is for passing, not the left lane is reserved for whoever wants to drive the fastest.
So, who decides what a 'reasonable' speed is?For some, driving 115 in a 100 would be considered dangerously fast, so would you condone them pulling into the left lane going 95, to pass a few cars in the right going 93, thus slowing down several cars in the left lane for 2 minutes while he mosies along, passing at his own speed? If not, where is the line? The thing is, "acceptable driving speed" is mostly subjective. The whole system works better if everybody just gets the fuck out of the way of faster drivers, regardless of whether you feel they are driving at an 'acceptable' speed. For the record, I drive 10 km over at all times, and I use Cruise control. In an ideal setting, I should be able to drive from lethbridge to Calgary ~200 km, without disengaging my cruise control once. This never happens.Obviously, it's going to be tougher to anticipate somebody coming in at 140, because they will approach quite fast. But if everybody, before passing, looked back to make sure there wasn't a faster car approaching that they would block, the highway would be a much better place to drive. Most people just check to see if there's room to move over. I can't tell you how many times I've had to slam on the brakes because some jackass cuts in front of me doing 15 km/h less and then I'm stuck behind them while they crawl past the car in the right lane. All because they feel that 95 is a reasonable speed and that I should slow down anyway.
I've noticed this a lot lately. When entering a parking lot for a strip mall or even a regular mall, one does not often have a stop sign. People leaving do have a stop sign. Most of the time this involves crossing paths in some way. Anyway, it seems like I'm either getting dirty looks from the people who start to go but I cut them off because they have a stop sign or I'm having to stop because they do not stop at their sign. Or they feel that because they've stopped once, they can now go whenever. I even had one guy honk his horn at me. He was driving a yellow convertible sports car of some type. My finger extended of course. And, I stopped in front of him for good measure (fyi, it wasn't like he was going to miss a light or anything). He looked like a total douche. I'm not just saying that because of the situation. His gf was hot too. Douche likelihood: 94%.
On Saturday I was pulling out of a shopping center turning left. I had a stop sign, but the traffic from my left and right did not (one lane only for each). This is never an issue because there is almost no traffic at this particular place. Anyway, I'm at the stop and there is an SUV coming from my left and a truck coming from my right, so I wait. Then the SUV and truck both stop up the road to my left and I can see they are talking. I wait....one, two, three, four, five, ok, I'm going...and start to make my turn. I get about halfway through my turn when the SUV is done talking and starts pulling forward. It isn't a near accident or anything remotely interesting, but as I pass her she rolls her window down and screams at me, "I don't have a stop sign!!!" Then as she takes off, she holds her arm out the window and flips me off.I just....I just hate people.Seriously? Is this really happening? You're screaming at me over this? How bad does your life have to be for you to scream at a complete stranger over such a complete non-incident? It's too bad life isn't like an internet forum where other people could make witty remarks about irony to her. I would get some pleasure out of that. But this.....god, I hate people.People suck and I hate them.
So, who decides what a 'reasonable' speed is?For some, driving 115 in a 100 would be considered dangerously fast, so would you condone them pulling into the left lane going 95, to pass a few cars in the right going 93, thus slowing down several cars in the left lane for 2 minutes while he mosies along, passing at his own speed? If not, where is the line? The thing is, "acceptable driving speed" is mostly subjective. The whole system works better if everybody just gets the fuck out of the way of faster drivers, regardless of whether you feel they are driving at an 'acceptable' speed. For the record, I drive 10 km over at all times, and I use Cruise control. In an ideal setting, I should be able to drive from lethbridge to Calgary ~200 km, without disengaging my cruise control once. This never happens.Obviously, it's going to be tougher to anticipate somebody coming in at 140, because they will approach quite fast. But if everybody, before passing, looked back to make sure there wasn't a faster car approaching that they would block, the highway would be a much better place to drive. Most people just check to see if there's room to move over. I can't tell you how many times I've had to slam on the brakes because some jackass cuts in front of me doing 15 km/h less and then I'm stuck behind them while they crawl past the car in the right lane. All because they feel that 95 is a reasonable speed and that I should slow down anyway.
Well, the speed limit is 100, so unless there is a tractor or something in the right line, 'reasonable speed' for the left would can be assumed to be above 100. And considering most provinces have rules that to get a ticket, you have to be going 11+ or 16+ above the limit, that seems like a good place to start discussing 'reasonable'.For all of you annoyed with slow drivers - most of the 'highways' where I live have only one lane in each direction. People love driving BELOW the limit. There are special passing lanes, but only every few miles. And the highways are pretty curvy, so passing someone into oncoming traffic can be a challenge. I regularly want to murder people.
So, who decides what a 'reasonable' speed is?
State Troopers and Police Officers where I live. Well actually it's the law-makers they just enforce it.I know a couple and have always been told if they are running radar and you are above 10 over the posted limit on the interstate they will at the very least stop you. 9/10 times the driver is just as pissed at getting a warning because having been stopped has caused them to be put back 5+ minutes on their commute anyway. Your "ideal setting" sounds like you are the only car on the interstate.

So, by that measure, a reasonable speed is exactly the speed limit, or below it. The 10 over thing for tickets is just to allow for a 5 mph margin of error on the radar gun, and a 5 mph margin of error on a car's speedometer. It isn't because it is legal to drive 10 over the speed limit. I think we can all agree that by society's standards, driving exactly the speed limit in the fast lane is not reasonable or acceptable.

I think we can all agree that by society's standards, driving exactly the speed limit in the fast lane is not reasonable or acceptable.
Yes, I can agree with this.Other driving issues I get pretty heated about:1. Crossing the double yellow line on a two lane road when not paying attention while there is oncoming traffic.2. Somebody who is pulling out in front of you but decides to stop half way out and back up back to the parking lot they were leaving. I mean you are already half way out, come on out the rest of the way.3. Driving around in a downpour with no lights on and continuing the speed you were going when the road was dry. My wife and I almost got taken out by a flatbed truck which was going way to fast for a rain slicked road. I mean it was a few feet away from being really bad. That's all I have for now. Many things bug me while driving and I'll be the first to admit I have a slight road-rage problem. As far as I take it is usually just a finger or maybe the old brake check but that's because my wife usually is the voice of reason.

I just moved into a new neighborhood this month. I would say that this neighborhood has a very large "trophy wife" population. Very high. Nice to sit on the sun porch and watch them jog by and such but the drawback is that it seems they do not understand the concept of the STOP sign. This isn't once or twice, this has happened at least 8 times since we moved in. We have a four way stop at the end of our block. 8 separate times I have come to a stop only to start to go and slam on my breaks as a woman in an SUV or Mercedes or Lexus drives right on through without even slowing down. 8 times in less than a month. This might actually make me snap.