How To Drive

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brvy, I don't think that is a very Christian thing to do.
It takes a village to teach these people how to drive. If their parents/schools fail them, we have to stand up for what's right. It's what Jesus would want.
The left lane is for PASSING ONLY. It's the law.
That depends on the state, and is usually not true. Only 8 states reserve the left lane for PASSING ONLY, and Iowa is not one of them. State "keep right" lawsA few states permit use of the left lane only for passing or turning left. These have "yes" in the "keep right" column. Six states require drivers to move right if they are blocking traffic in the left lane. Most states follow the Uniform Vehicle Code and require drivers to keep right if they are going slower than the normal speed of traffic (regardless of the speed limit; see below).Anyways, usually this happens on a multi-lane highway. Most of our freeways are 4-6 lanes.
Now, in all 50 states it is legal to make a right turn on red.
Not in all cities and counties though. For example: NYC. Making a right on red anywhere in the city is illegal and brings almost as much ire from pedestrians attempting to cross as turning the wrong way down a 1-way street does. I might not even need to qualify that with "almost." Awesome thread, excited for moar.

My wife brings up the zipper anytime we are at a stop waiting to merge. It's not because I don't know but because no one around us is aware of the zipper rule. She thinks that we should somehow get a rubber car and run all the fuckers off the road. Always with the "I wish I had a rubber car". Heh

These days whenever I encounter a driver like that I lay on my horn until they are glaring at me, then I put on a huge smile and wave frantically. It almost always gets either a laugh and apologetic wave or extreme RAGE, both of which are funny for me.

The Snag sucks ass. That guy is definitely my least favorite.
Yup.
First of all, I hate you. And you're just making things more dangerous for everyone. Plus, the hate.
I don't know...I also hate people who don't move out of the left lane when someone comes up behind them, clearly wanting the pace to increace. The left lane is for whoever wants to go the fastest. If someone refuses to move for me I'm not against going around them and then slowing them down to prove a point.
hate.jpg
Heh.
That depends on the state, and is usually not true. Only 8 states reserve the left lane for PASSING ONLY, and Iowa is not one of them.
Ha, brv has been living a lie.
That depends on the state, and is usually not true. Only 8 states reserve the left lane for PASSING ONLY, and Iowa is not one of them. State "keep right" lawsA few states permit use of the left lane only for passing or turning left. These have "yes" in the "keep right" column. Six states require drivers to move right if they are blocking traffic in the left lane. Most states follow the Uniform Vehicle Code and require drivers to keep right if they are going slower than the normal speed of traffic (regardless of the speed limit; see below).Anyways, usually this happens on a multi-lane highway. Most of our freeways are 4-6 lanes.
Whatever vb. Most of this stuff isn't necessarily "on the books". I was just ranting. The point is that sometimes it IS the law, and ALL the time it IS bad etiquette, which is basically what this thread is about.Also, from your link:"Most states* follow the Uniform Vehicle Code and require drivers to keep right if they are going slower than the normal speed of traffic (regardless of the speed limit; see below)"*including Iowa.
I don't know...I also hate people who don't move out of the left lane when someone comes up behind them, clearly wanting the pace to increace. The left lane is for whoever wants to go the fastest. If someone refuses to move for me I'm not against going around them and then slowing them down to prove a point.
Finally, the voice of reason. You'll always be a real doctor in my mind, DR. Speedz.
Anyways, usually this happens on a multi-lane highway. Most of our freeways are 4-6 lanes.
I doubt Iowa has anything that looks likes highway 401 in Toronto. At some points it's 20 lanes and over 500,000 vehicles use it on some days. I'll be driving on this tomorrow during both the morning and evening rush hour for about 40KM. I can't wait for the gridlock.express4014pq.jpg
Not in all cities and counties though. For example: NYC. Making a right on red anywhere in the city is illegal and brings almost as much ire from pedestrians attempting to cross as turning the wrong way down a 1-way street does. I might not even need to qualify that with "almost."
Not exactly true. In most of the country, RoR is allowed unless explicitly prohibited. In NYC, RoR is prohibited unless explicitly allowed. There are some places in NYC that have a "right turn permitted on red" sign.
Whatever vb. Most of this stuff isn't necessarily "on the books". I was just ranting. The point is that sometimes it IS the law, and ALL the time it IS bad etiquette, which is basically what this thread is about.Also, from your link:"Most states* follow the Uniform Vehicle Code and require drivers to keep right if they are going slower than the normal speed of traffic (regardless of the speed limit; see below)"*including Iowa.
I think its fine to drive in the left lane as long as you are going fast enough. Going slow in the left lane is definitely bad etiquette, but driving fast and continuously in the left lane is not, in my opinion, bad etiquette.
Not exactly true. In most of the country, RoR is allowed unless explicitly prohibited. In NYC, RoR is prohibited unless explicitly allowed. There are some places in NYC that have a "right turn permitted on red" sign.
Fair enough. My point was just that 'You're allowed to make a right on red' is not always the general rule. I've never seen a "right turn permitted" sign in the city, and I imagine that's because they're only in the obscure areas where there's never much auto or pedestrian traffic. You know how some cities have certain dumb things that only a tourist would ever do, and everybody points and laughs or silently makes fun of them or vocally abuses them when said tourist does whatever specific dumb thing? Making a right on red in NYC is one of those things, and the response is almost unanimously "vocal abuse."
I think its fine to drive in the left lane as long as you are going fast enough. Going slow in the left lane is definitely bad etiquette, but driving fast and continuously in the left lane is not, in my opinion, bad etiquette.
I'm just sayin' that I have never been "snaked" in all my life. If there are people coming up behind me on the interstate, obviously exceeding the speed limit by 40, I'm still moving over. Also, if it's a situation where I'm passing a slow moving vehicle, and someone faster comes up behind me, I move over immediately after I finish passing, thereby cutting off any possibility of "snaking" by using the slow vehicle in the right lane as a blocker of sorts.Also, this statement is ridiculous. Of course, it's bad etiquette.
I doubt Iowa has anything that looks likes highway 401 in Toronto. At some points it's 20 lanes and over 500,000 vehicles use it on some days. I'll be driving on this tomorrow during both the morning and evening rush hour for about 40KM. I can't wait for the gridlock.
You're right about that, Iowa has a fairly small and spread out population. Our biggest city, Des Moines, has right around 600,000 people, and much fewer cars on the road at a time.Your picture shows 14 lanes right there, the most I could find quickly was only 10.798px-I-235_Des_Moines.JPG
I'm just sayin' that I have never been "snaked" in all my life. If there are people coming up behind me on the interstate, obviously exceeding the speed limit by 40, I'm still moving over. Also, if it's a situation where I'm passing a slow moving vehicle, and someone faster comes up behind me, I move over immediately after I finish passing, thereby cutting off any possibility of "snaking" by using the slow vehicle in the right lane as a blocker of sorts.
Ah, I think you're misunderstanding The Snake. He's not coming up from behind us getting closer and overtaking us. We are both going the same speed, and at some point both of us need to get over, possibly to exit the freeway. Once I put my signal on, he should let me go first.
Ah, I think you're misunderstanding The Snake. He's not coming up from behind us getting closer and overtaking us. We are both going the same speed, and at some point both of us need to get over, possibly to exit the freeway. Once I put my signal on, he should let me go first.
I guess I am misunderstanding, because I don't think I've ever been in a situation where the lane to my right is open, and I'm just driving in a random lane to the left with a person right behind me. In that scenario I would already have moved over for the person behind me. I never never never ever, don't move over immediately, when a lane to the right is available.There is no ****ing way I'm letting someone snake me on an exit ramp.I consider myself a mildly aggressive, but never dangerous, driver. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would put my aggression at a 6.5 and I would put the average driver at a 3. I don't ever drive the speed limit, but it's an extremely rare scenario that I would be more than 10 over. I usually drive 8 or 9 over.
Fair enough. My point was just that 'You're allowed to make a right on red' is not always the general rule. I've never seen a "right turn permitted" sign in the city, and I imagine that's because they're only in the obscure areas where there's never much auto or pedestrian traffic. You know how some cities have certain dumb things that only a tourist would ever do, and everybody points and laughs or silently makes fun of them or vocally abuses them when said tourist does whatever specific dumb thing? Making a right on red in NYC is one of those things, and the response is almost unanimously "vocal abuse."
Oh yeah for sure. I have made rights on red in NYC by accident many times. You don't need to a be a dumb tourist though; when you live just outside the city and are used to turning on red all the time its easy to make the mistake. That is definitely how everyone treats you though.
In this thread, for your education, I will document some of the common violations of driving etiquette that I regularly encounter. These things annoy me greatly. But it occurs to me that some people just don't know the unwritten rules of the road. I have plenty of these stored up, but today I will start with just a couple. Please pay attention. 1. The SnakeThis is one that I see fairly often. It involves a driver behind you stealing your lane-changing opportunity. The scenario: Snake1.jpgHere we are, driving along with a red car behind us.Snake2.jpgWe signal our intention to change lanes. Snake3.jpgRed car changes lanes before we have a chance, and blocks our destination space. This one is not only rude, but potentially dangerous if you are not tracking the car behind you close enough. I always track the car behind me very closely for potential snaking. Road rage level:6 (out of 10)Solution: Don't use turn signals.
FYP
This is just plain wrong. It's not particularly egregious if the driver is paying attention behind him and moves over when a car presents itself behind him (long before necessary, ideally) but we all know that people who actually both: 1) pay attention to their mirrors, and 2) react accordingly to the visual cues presented therein, are FAR and few between. If your country has some stupid law that says it's ok to drive in the left lane for no good reason other than "I feel like it", it's just plain wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. The left lane is for going faster than the other guy. If there is no other guy, you should be in the right lane. The exception (which isn't even an exception, but more of an unusual circumstance) is if traffic is merging in from the right - you should evaluate where the space they need on the road is relative to your car, and move over if there's a conflict. You'll be moving faster than them anyways (Left Lane!) and will then either continue to pass cars or move into the right lane. Which is the correct lane.Man, who'd have thought there'd be a thread where I'd agree so strongly with an Iowan.PPE: If there's a car (especially a cop) on the right shoulder, I'll move to the left lane to give room. But again, I'M GOING FASTER THAN THAT GUY. Still, more clearly an exception.
Man, who'd have thought there'd be a thread where I'd agree so strongly with an Iowan.
BOOM! Suck it, Dread!
PPE: If there's a car (especially a cop) on the right shoulder, I'll move to the left lane to give room. But again, I'M GOING FASTER THAN THAT GUY. Still, more clearly an exception.
I believe this is a law in Iowa now, that if any vehicle with orange, red, or blue lights is on the shoulder, you are required to move into the left lane. That's a good law.http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/2...309150033/1001/
Finally, the voice of reason. You'll always be a real doctor in my mind, DR. Speedz.
Real doctors can treat more than one species.
"Fast enough" is really "faster than the guy behind you". Although there may be an exception for very high speeds. If I'm going 100 and the guy behind me wants to go 105, I might not bother moving over. Anyone going 105 probably wants the fun of passing people via lane changes anyway.

About 2 years ago I left my house 5 minutes early.That means that so far everyone that cuts me off and delays me by 14 seconds to my destination is still only using a small part of my extra 5 minutes, so I don't get worked up over them.I once counted my wait time at the LONGEST light in the world that I missed and had to wait a full cycle for. It was 110 seconds.Anyway, leave 2 minutes early and you will be SO far ahead of where you would have been that any delays will be irrelevant.Or just freak out and pretend that justice in this world is your right.

I believe this is a law in Iowa now, that if any vehicle with orange, red, or blue lights is on the shoulder, you are required to move into the left lane. That's a good law.http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/2...309150033/1001/
It is a good law. I move over even if it isn't a cop. Last thing I want is for some idiot to open his driver-side door into my fender at 120 km/h.