How To Drive

In this thread, for your education, I will document some of the common violations of driving etiquette that I regularly encounter. These things annoy me greatly. But it occurs to me that some people just don't know the unwritten rules of the road. I have plenty of these stored up, but today I will start with just a couple. Please pay attention. 1. The SnakeThis is one that I see fairly often. It involves a driver behind you stealing your lane-changing opportunity. The scenario: Snake1.jpgHere we are, driving along with a red car behind us.Snake2.jpgWe signal our intention to change lanes. Snake3.jpgRed car changes lanes before we have a chance, and blocks our destination space. This one is not only rude, but potentially dangerous if you are not tracking the car behind you close enough. I always track the car behind me very closely for potential snaking. Road rage level:6 (out of 10)Solution: There's not much you can do about this one except shaking your fist and yelling Snaaaake! as he goes by you.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

omg this is an awesome thread. With my 60 mile commute everyday I see many crazy things. I am surprised that I have actually not been killed yet by people on the road who have no business being there.

No diagrams, but how about this one:The Pace CarScenario: You're on a 2/3 lane highway and you're going a touch more than the limit. You come to a point where two/three cars going a similar speed are clogging up all lanes and you can see clear road ahead of them. If you change lanes, one of the other lanes will inevitably speed up or, even worse, drop speed a little only so it can anticipate your imminent lane change into that lane by speeding up and closing the gap.Other driver's inevitable defense: "I'm going the speed limit"Something like that...

#2. The SneakThis one is particularly egregious because it takes advantage of those displaying proper etiquette. The scenario: Sneak1.jpgWe have a green light. However, entering the intersection at this point would cause a blockage because the other side beyond the intersection is not open. (some people of course enter anyways causing a gridlock situation, but this is to be covered at another time). Graciously, we stay back and wait for room to open so as not to block the intersection. However, our villain waits at his red light to make a right turn. Now, in all 50 states it is legal to make a right turn on red. But one should only do so when the road is totally clear. If a spot opens up in this scenario, it belongs to the cars who have a green light. Sneak2.jpgUnfortunately the sneak jumps out as soon as the green car moves forward, punishing us for waiting patiently. Road Rage Level: 8Solution:It's not easy to do, but one can attempt to protect his space-to-be by intermittently threatening to advance. Eye contact with the potential Sneak can also be effective.

I did one, hope that is okay! My drawings are crude, but so am I.This is something I experience daily and it makes me madder than anything else.What you have is two cars in separate lanes who both have the ability to make a turn.petcarpeeve1.jpgYou have one car on the inside and one on the outside. The most common occurrence is this:petcarpeeve2.jpgWhere the inside car ignores the fact that someone else is turning and proceeds to cut the outside person off. There are a few turns in my area where 3-4 lanes can make a right hand turn and I have seen drivers in that inside lane cut straight across all 3-4 lanes causing actual accidents. It's simple common sense: inside stays inside, outside stays outside.petcarpeeve3.jpgSolution: let them hit you so their insurance goes up and also you can make sure to let them know they lack common sense by telling it to their face and again when the cop hands them the ticket.

anyone sense a little RAGE in Steve's tone? I love it.I would make a drawing and present but I'm more interested in seeing what else vb has to offer.

I hate following people going a good speed and they suddenly change lanes at the LAST second when there are stopped cars infront of them that you couldn't see. Suddenly you're like WHOOOA WT..... [break super hard]. Road rage 50.

I don't want to draw a diagram because I am slow.Another thing that doesn't make me angry but makes me shake my head. We have a little downtown area. 4 lanes, two going north, two going south. No left hand turn lanes. 3 traffic lights down the one mile stretch. Normally when I am driving and I am going to be making a left turn from the left lane I will signal before we even get there to let the others behind me know what I am about to do. That way they can either stay in the lane or move to the right to get by. Many times I will be in that left lane with someone ahead of me and we will be stopped at the light. Once the light turns green that is when they decide to signal their left turn.

petcarpeeve2.jpg
Ohhhh I know this one well. Then when they almost hit you they glare like you did something wrong.
Another thing that doesn't make me angry but makes me shake my head. We have a little downtown area. 4 lanes, two going north, two going south. No left hand turn lanes. 3 traffic lights down the one mile stretch. Normally when I am driving and I am going to be making a left turn from the left lane I will signal before we even get there to let the others behind me know what I am about to do. That way they can either stay in the lane or move to the right to get by. Many times I will be in that left lane with someone ahead of me and we will be stopped at the light. Once the light turns green that is when they decide to signal their left turn.
The dreaded Late Signaler!

#3. The SnagThe scenario: Snag1.jpgThis is a classic merge situation. Two lanes becoming one. Everyone is familiar with the standard zipper formation. Cars alternate one from lane A, one from lane B. Snag2.jpgThings are zipping up nicely....Snag3.jpg... until this guy comes along, and violates the zipper rule, snagging the zipper. Road Rage Level:6.5Solution:Here is a scenario where you are justified in fighting for your position. Box that snagger out.

In this thread, for your education, I will document some of the common violations of driving etiquette that I regularly encounter. These things annoy me greatly. But it occurs to me that some people just don't know the unwritten rules of the road. I have plenty of these stored up, but today I will start with just a couple. Please pay attention. 1. The SnakeThis is one that I see fairly often. It involves a driver behind you stealing your lane-changing opportunity. The scenario: Snake1.jpgHere we are, driving along with a red car behind us.
Why are you driving in the left lane?
The snake will get to at least an 8 on my rage level since it's just so dangerous.The sneak doesn't bother me too much, I expect that one.
yeah this is my feelings on the two. the sneak is sometimes completely necessary depending on the traffic situation, and he often has a lot of people behind him that are relying on him to perform the sneak. the snake on the other hand, oh jesus christ, just pure murder is all I feel.I'm looking forward to you doing the one where you come up behind somebody going slowly, then get out to pass them and they speed up, then when you get back over they slow back down. this person deserves to die, plain and simple. no joking, no hyperbole, they actually deserve death.
Why are you driving in the left lane?
The left lane driver on the interstate is my biggest pet peeve by far. I usually pass on the right and then get in front of them and coast until they change lanes. One time, after the dude changed lanes and I returned to normal speed, he moved his truck BACK OVER TO THE LEFT LANE! I was about 1 mile ahead of him at that point, but I immediately hit my brakes and started coasting, because **** YOU Left Lane Driver. The left lane is for PASSING ONLY. It's the law.
The left lane driver on the interstate is my biggest pet peeve by far. I usually pass on the right and them get in front of them and coast until they change lanes. One time, after the dude changed lanes and I returned to normal speed, he moved his truck BACK OVER TO THE LEFT LANE! I was about 1 mile ahead of him at that point, but I immediately hit my brakes and started coasting, because **** YOU Left Lane Driver. The left lane is for PASSING ONLY. It's the law.
First of all, I hate you. And you're just making things more dangerous for everyone. Plus, the hate.Now, regarding the Snake specifically. It doesn't have to be the interstate and you could be in a middle lane. Finally, hate.
First of all, I hate you. And you're just making things more dangerous for everyone. Plus, the hate.Now, regarding the Snake specifically. It doesn't have to be the interstate and you could be in a middle lane. Finally, hate.
I would never do that if the interstate was busy... and it's not me that's disrupting the flow of traffic. It's *******, in the left lane.
I'm not sure I expressed my hatred enough.Just in case it wasn't clear, what brv is doing on the highway, I hate it a lot.
You and me both. I really hope I'm never forced to do it again.
#3. The SnagThe scenario: Snag1.jpgThis is a classic merge situation. Two lanes becoming one. Everyone is familiar with the standard zipper formation. Cars alternate one from lane A, one from lane B. Snag2.jpgThings are zipping up nicely....Snag3.jpg... until this guy comes along, and violates the zipper rule, snagging the zipper. Road Rage Level:6.5Solution:Here is a scenario where you are justified in fighting for your position. Box that snagger out.
Dear god - we have one area on my regular commute where 3 lanes 'zip' into 1 - a two-lane road and a one-lane. Terrible design. Worse is that the roads are all 70km/h into the zip, but drops to 50 at the zip, where traffic is bottlenecking anyway. Most people politely move into the middle lanes and merge correctly. We're Canadian after all, and very polite. But there is always one jerk who zips down the right lane at 80, passing people (on the right!), and going way too fast into what they know is sure to be a bottleneck. Then they always sneak up 3 cars by staying in the right lane, while those to their left politely merge.Unfortunately, no real way to combat this, other than to also stay in the far right lane, which can easily get you passed on the left.Solution: none required. Traffic bottlenecks for several miles, then opens up to everyone. Just take a rage chill and remember the guy has saved himself 15 seconds with his dangerous dick maneuver.