Bill Simmons: A Debate

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think simmons is at his best, when he's writing about the pure emotion of being a fan. the agony and the emotion of big moments ( which for him, involve boston sports). Then, I really enjoy his work

grantland is the best. i go there daily.

Yeah , I look forward to not reading that site like I didn't read grantland.

Dan Carlin Hardcore History is the only podcast I'd pay for ( and I have bought bonus episodes). The idea of paying for Bill to talk to Jbug and his old man, makes me angry.

• 5 months later...

i wish he would go harder at espn, but i understand he is in business for himself and that may not play. but i'm glad he's back. not sure why he hired those editors from grant land before it was executed, but hopefully two years from now he will have his own site with all those people on it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Simmons was an innovator and carved out a great nitch early.

He's been shit for nearly 8 years. Was a must read, updating ESPN on column days, printing it out, savoring it. I even bought his book. That was the end of him.

Then it was just gambling and NBA. But not good NBA articles,

Good call on his book being the last gasp of what he had to write about. I still think he was a good writer about big moments, moments of joy or moments of pain. I think the last column of his I really loved, was about his daughter's pain at a king's elimination from the playoffs a few years back.

His gambling talk really tilts me, because he's such a shitty gambler and doesn't know it. But I do enjoy some of his podcast work, but I skip most of them these days.

I would probably listen to his podcast if he did 1 every 2 weeks. He's putting out like 3 hour+ podcasts a week and it's impossible to keep up, so I just end up not even having it in my queue to listen to.

• 5 weeks later...

Speaking of gasbags... man...Oh man, Craig Kilborn was on Simmons latest podcast, and god damn it, it was gold. I loved Kilborn on Sports center, and the daily show ( didn't watch his late night show, really). And he was such a magical, ridiculous douche bag on the podcast, it was everything I wanted it to be.

I couldn't make it past 17 minutes. He was so effing disjointed. Couldn't finish a thought. It was either a bit, tried to sabotage it or is just awful. I was so excited when I saw his name. In what I heard, he just shit on Simmons and hijacked the pod

Speaking of gasbags... man...Oh man, Craig Kilborn was on Simmons latest podcast, and god damn it, it was gold. I loved Kilborn on Sports center, and the daily show ( didn't watch his late night show, really). And he was such a magical, ridiculous douche bag on the podcast, it was everything I wanted it to be.

Lizz Winstead just posted a photo on her Facebook, her name on a 1st Ave guest list in 1983. It's the show that had the Purple Rain debut. I wonder if she's been getting Daily Show money all these years.