Bill Simmons: A Debate

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think simmons is at his best, when he's writing about the pure emotion of being a fan. the agony and the emotion of big moments ( which for him, involve boston sports). Then, I really enjoy his work

grantland is the best. i go there daily.

Yeah , I look forward to not reading that site like I didn't read grantland.

• 1 month later...
Wow, what a clown.
To be fair, he bet on the MVP before the season before knowing he was going to get a vote. And he also bet on some other guys like Chris Paul. So if he was trying to use his vote for financial gain, he should've been trying to get the guy with the worse odds more votes.
To be fair, he bet on the MVP before the season before knowing he was going to get a vote. And he also bet on some other guys like Chris Paul. So if he was trying to use his vote for financial gain, he should've been trying to get the guy with the worse odds more votes.
Ok, that's not bad then.If you had to guess, and I'm asking you to do so right now, how much money a year do you think he loses betting on sports?

I'd guess he risks mid five figures per year and guess he wins somewhere around 40% of the time. I mean, he does that weekly football picks column and even in his worst years, it's not like he's 50 games under .500 or something.

I've grown to dislike many things about simmons over the years. I feel like he mails in many, many articles. His gambling theories tilt the shit out of me. His anti intellectualism really gnaws on my tits. But he is at his very, very best in articles like that. No one captures fandom like he does.

• 4 months later...

I've grown to dislike many things about simmons over the years. I feel like he mails in many, many articles. His gambling theories tilt the shit out of me. His anti intellectualism really gnaws on my tits. But he is at his very, very best in articles like that. No one captures fandom like he does.

How do you feel about him being on the NBA show? They want him to challenge Magic and Wibon and create some debate. I feel like he'll go full jock sniffer and be not better than Broussard. That show needed Stan Van

Just tried reading the picks article. What a bore. At least there used to be jokes in there. This was all football and some fantasy thrown in. I couldn't get through it. What's worse, he wrote one sentence about the Dolphins. I mean, I get it, they aren't national yet, but come on.

Watched the countdown show the other day. Why is Jalen Rose the host/moderator type guy? Seemed like he was doing a Berman doing a John Facenda type voice. Was super odd and a tad clunky. Stan van Gundy woulda been brilliant I think

• 1 year later...

Have people changed their minds on grantland?

Simmons may be a bit of a hack but he knows how to sign talent. Zach Lowe and Jonah Keri are amazing and barnwell is decent.

Have people changed their minds on grantland?

Simmons may be a bit of a hack but he knows how to sign talent. Zach Lowe and Jonah Keri are amazing and barnwell is decent.

I read Zach Lowe.

Barnwell is just... he's so bad. He's the worst. How can anyone not thing that he's the worst?

I can take or leave pretty much everything else. The pop culture as high art stuff is annoying.

I read Zach Lowe.

Barnwell is just... he's so bad. He's the worst. How can anyone not thing that he's the worst?

I can take or leave pretty much everything else. The pop culture as high art stuff is annoying.

BUT TURNOVERS REGRESS

• 1 month later...

I think simmons is at his best, when he's writing about the pure emotion of being a fan. the agony and the emotion of big moments ( which for him, involve boston sports). Then, I really enjoy his work. I think a great deal of his pop cultural references/analogies are gimmicky at this point. They seem awkward and inorganic. But I think what frustrates me the most about Simmons is open hostility to statistics and reason based analysis of sports, even though he claims he like certain stat and is "getting into them" or w/e. He is basically like every other sports writer in that respect. I think the basic problem i have with all sports writers ( or sports analysts on TV that came up through newspapers/blogs), is that they are "english" people. That they studied either english, writing or journalism in college. So, when they write an opinion piece, a blog, or spout off on some talking heads show, they have to form a narrative for every story, turn all analysis into some sort of angle or story. Which is fine, but not when they reject reason, statistics, facts, and objective analysis whole cloth when telling their story. They pick and choose what stats to use, instead of looking at the facts/stats objectively and making the story. I can forgive a guy like Tony Kornheiser for doing this because he's legitimately funny, he's bitter, and he's filled with hate, so his radio show is still golden despite his sports opinions being grossly ill informed and often moronic. But Bill Simmons is supposed to be from a different era. He should know better. And I simply don't find him funny enough anymore to put up with his half baked, biased sports analysis. I read only a fraction of the stuff he writes these days, and I've almost phased him out completely. Occasionally I'll find a grantland piece I like or find interesting, But most of pieces I have zero interest in and none of the writers have captured my imagination.

I like a lot of the basketball stuff on Grantland. IA on Simmons, mostly: I like him, and love his insane Celtics bias at inappropriate times, but don't find him funny and obviously he doesn't really know that much about basketball.

I also love Grantland simply because I am in love with Jalen Rose.

That said, Grantlant throws up a lot of shit that makes me cringe. This would be an example of one of the worst things I've ever read: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9719678/tom-bissell-writes-letter-niko-bellic-grand-theft-auto-v

• 1 year later...

Yeah I doubt he's allowed to post anything at Goodelland ever again. I look forward to reading him wherever he lands. Grantland may succeed without him, but the market will certainly end up diluted as I gain another website to surf as a procrastinate my days away.