It's not really clear what you mean by this, but I'm still gonna point out that it was Democrats who ended legal segregation, started school busing programs to force-integrate schools, and made Affirmative Action a law. But maybe you're talking about something else? Maybe you can clarify.
I'm not totally clear about what BG was saying either, but your reply is confusing to me as well.
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's the difference between a particular gene sequence in an abstract sense and a particular gene sequence that exists within a cell? Can you explain the difference in a way that doesn't boil down

This is pretty funny. The problem isn't the itty bitty details. The problem is Romney refuses to say if he's going to play Poker or Go Fish with the cards, and is on record as saying he doesn't know

I see.   I'd rather give the poor tax breaks than give them welfare. As a general rule. Let them keep their money to live on rather than take their money and then provide for them.

I know I do.
Me too!
And democrats think cutting taxes will spur on the economy....oh wait.
Really? Democrats think taking away noticeable tax cuts will be unpopular. There is an election next year. If a Republican was in charge, no question they would do the same thing. Oh wait, tax cuts only spur the economy when the people receiving cuts are so rich that personal disposable income is effectively unaffected.
It's not really clear what you mean by this, but I'm still gonna point out that it was Democrats who ended legal segregation, started school busing programs to force-integrate schools, and made Affirmative Action a law. But maybe you're talking about something else? Maybe you can clarify.
BG meant mixing between Christianity and public life, not just general mixing. Goddamn democrats don't want ancient mythology to determine proper governance, what is this world coming to?"effectively unaffected" is probably the worst thing I have ever written, which is an impressive standard to achieve.
I'm not totally clear about what BG was saying either, but your reply is confusing to me as well.
"Democrats...want no mixing in public life," so to counter what he possibly meant by that I offered examples of Democrats pushing through laws that forced the mixing of whites and blacks in areas of public life. I was assuming he was talking about people of different races, religions, sexes, etc.EDIT:
BG meant mixing between Christianity and public life, not just general mixing. Goddamn democrats don't want ancient mythology to determine proper governance, what is this world coming to?
Oh, that seems to make a bit more sense. So he was voicing his opposition to the separation of Church and State?
I was assuming he was talking about people of different races, religions, sexes, etc.
I think the good man above clarified it for us. I don't know why you made this particular assumption though; felt kind of out of nowhere.Pre-post edit: "Good man above" doesn't mean God. It means mrdannyg.2nd pre-post edit: Basically the same thing though, amirite MDG???3rd pre-post edit: I don't know why I'm doing these as edits.
I don't know why you made this particular assumption though; felt kind of out of nowhere.
I dunno, that was just what came to mind when somebody mentioned "mixing in public life" seemingly out of the blue. MDG obviously cleared it up though, as much as it could be cleared up.
I think the good man above clarified it for us. I don't know why you made this particular assumption though; felt kind of out of nowhere.Pre-post edit: "Good man above" doesn't mean God. It means mrdannyg.2nd pre-post edit: Basically the same thing though, amirite MDG???3rd pre-post edit: I don't know why I'm doing these as edits.
ugh. my last name is actually "goodman." I have heard that joke approximately ten billion times in my life.I quite enjoy the pre-post edit.

I kind of used a few commas there, used 2 references to Christianity, implied the whole Christmas season and its reason and you somehow thought I was saying blacks and whites shouldn't date?I think someone has blinders on that prevents them from seeing the world around them.That person would be a liberal. Because that is what it means to be a liberal, to only see motives, and to 'know' what other people's motives are and why they are wrong.That and being wrong about which party did more for black people in this country...The republicansThanks though, it was fun watching you fumble around with a simple insult to the entire democrat party. I blame myself for assuming a liberal could read and understand their native tongue.I will type slower next time.

And yes, the above post means I hate interracial relationships Which is funny to me for reasons I do not care to use as proof how silly that notion is.

Get your head out of your ass and actually examine history. Hint: Your party has seriously 'reinvented' itself from those days. It was not "Democrats who ended legal segregation." It (the 64 Civil Rights Act) was a bipartisan effort, however here's how the voting broke down. House: Southern Democrats: 7 yea 87 nay Southern Republicans: 0 yea 10 nayNorthern Democrats: 145 yea 9 nay Northern Republicans: 138 yea 24 naySenate:Southern Democrats: 1 yea 20 naySouthern Republicans: 0 yea 1 nay Northern Democrats: 45 yea 1 nay Northern Republicans: 27 yea 5 nay
Get your head out of your ass and actually examine history. Hint: Your party has seriously 'reinvented' itself from those days. It was not "Democrats who ended legal segregation." It (the 64 Civil Rights Act) was a bipartisan effort, however here's how the voting broke down. House: Southern Democrats: 7 yea 87 nay Southern Republicans: 0 yea 10 nayNorthern Democrats: 145 yea 9 nay Northern Republicans: 138 yea 24 naySenate:Southern Democrats: 1 yea 20 naySouthern Republicans: 0 yea 1 nay Northern Democrats: 45 yea 1 nay Northern Republicans: 27 yea 5 nay
Please stop confusing liberals with facts.
Get your head out of your ass and actually examine history. Hint: Your party has seriously 'reinvented' itself from those days. It was not "Democrats who ended legal segregation." It (the 64 Civil Rights Act) was a bipartisan effort, however here's how the voting broke down.
Thanks, I'm well aware that the segregation argument was a North-South thing. But I was actually referring to the executive office - JFK/RFK/LBJ - who were instrumental in creating the bill and getting support for it, when I referred to Democrats ending legal segregation. JFK and his brother were raging liberals, and they conceived the bill. History lesson back atcha.
Thanks, I'm well aware that the segregation argument was a North-South thing. But I was actually referring to the executive office - JFK/RFK/LBJ - who were instrumental in creating the bill and getting support for it, when I referred to Democrats ending legal segregation. JFK and his brother were raging liberals, and they conceived the bill. History lesson back atcha.
The Dems elected a KKK member for over 50 years, into this century. The R's kicked somebody out for praising, in non-racial terms, a very old man on his birthday.I'm very surprised the Dems keep playing the race card, because the facts definitely against them. Senate Majority Leader, Vice President, 50 years of KKK, George Wallace, David Duke.... the lies don't work anymore, they are too easy too look up.
you don't really want to repeat JFK and RFK do you?
The Dems elected a KKK member for over 50 years, into this century. The R's kicked somebody out for praising, in non-racial terms, a very old man on his birthday.I'm very surprised the Dems keep playing the race card, because the facts definitely against them. Senate Majority Leader, Vice President, 50 years of KKK, George Wallace, David Duke.... the lies don't work anymore, they are too easy too look up.
you refuse to realize what Dems already know. They spent the 50 years creating a system them has many blacks living in support...so they don't want to know the truth or find out. they just want the next check. This is sad but it is true...and when in doubt they play the race card becuse they "support" the families. it is a joke.
you don't really want to repeat JFK and RFK do you?
You mean assassination? No, I'd rather not have any President or Presidential-candidate assassinated. On policy? I could die happy if we ever elected a President like RFK in this day. (Actually, I can already die happy. The Red Sox won the World Series, and I saw it. And the whole 'down 0-3 vs. the Yankees' thing made it more perfect than I could have dared dream.)
As already covered, the race issue was always a North-South thing. But pretending that the Democrats haven't, by and large, become the party that supports minorities over the last 40+ years is...pretending. Or ignoring some very basic modern history.Listen, I'm not campaigning for any Democrats. The modern Democratic and Republican parties are both pretty horrible, so it's more like choosing the lesser idiot. But the Republicans are almost literally retarded (see: Palin, Bush Jr, Evil Count Cheney, nearly all of their fucking candidates this election, Glen Beck, Sean Hannity, etc.). P.S. I assume Robert Byrd is the aforementioned "KKK member?" And that you're entirely ignoring the fact that he stopped being a KKK member decades ago and had a genuine conversion in his personal philosophy? "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times ... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened." But yeah, make him apologize again...from the grave!
As already covered, the race issue was always a North-South thing. But pretending that the Democrats haven't, by and large, become the party that supports minorities over the last 40+ years is...pretending. Or ignoring some very basic modern history.
I don't see either party supporting minorities, but at least the R's didn't build dangerous, filthy warehouses for the poor where their productive neighborhoods used to be.
Listen, I'm not campaigning for any Democrats. The modern Democratic and Republican parties are both pretty horrible, so it's more like choosing the lesser idiot. But the Republicans are almost literally retarded (see: Palin, Bush Jr, Evil Count Cheney, nearly all of their fucking candidates this election, Glen Beck, Sean Hannity, etc.).
Pelosi, Reid, Jessie, Sharpton, Obama, Biden.... do you really want to start making lists? But your are correct, both parties are horrible.
P.S. I assume Robert Byrd is the aforementioned "KKK member?" And that you're entirely ignoring the fact that he stopped being a KKK member decades ago and had a genuine conversion in his personal philosophy? "I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times ... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened." But yeah, make him apologize again...from the grave!
Sure he did... that's why he used the phrase "white ******" in an interview, without irony or awareness, as recently as the 90s. Somehow the Democrats forgot to be outraged over that little slip up.
pretty sure it's byrd. the other is trent lott. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Lott#Re...nate_leadership
I think this is a good example to compare the two.Byrd: recruiter for the KKK, makes racist statements such as calling people "white niggers" throughout his career, Dems ignore it.Lott: makes one comment at a really old guy's birthday party that "we'd be better off if he were president", and the R's run him out of office because the old guy, once upon a time, had supported segregation. Lott's comment didn't mention that segregation, or even obliquely refer to it.A perfect example of the 1. the double standard, and 2. how the Dems overlook blatant racism in their own party while hyping even innocent statements into the race card, and 3. how their media lapdogs play along.
You mean assassination? No, I'd rather not have any President or Presidential-candidate assassinated. On policy? I could die happy if we ever elected a President like RFK in this day. (Actually, I can already die happy. The Red Sox won the World Series, and I saw it. And the whole 'down 0-3 vs. the Yankees' thing made it more perfect than I could have dared dream.)
There ya go, you made 3 points and i can agree with 2. anytime the Yankees lose it is good day for the world in general, nobody wants to see an assassination and in the holiday season i will leave the RFK point alone.
Lott: makes one comment at a really old guy's birthday party that "we'd be better off if he were president", and the R's run him out of office because the old guy, once upon a time, had supported segregation. Lott's comment didn't mention that segregation, or even obliquely refer to it.
That's inaccurate. He didn't just say "We'd be better off if Strom were President." To quote him directly, he said, "When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We’re proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over the years, either."Lott's comment implicitly referred to segregation. Thurmond ran for President once, in 1948, as a Dixiecrat - a party of overt segregationists. A desire for strict racial segregation was, like, the main feature of the Dixiecrat Party. I think it's clear that there's a massive difference between Trent Lott saying 'Gee I wish Strom had been President,' and what he actually said. I mean, "We voted for him, we're proud of it?!" "And if everybody else had voted for him we wouldn't have had all these problems???" That's a ludicrously stupid and politically unwise thing for a modern politician to say. Lott got what he deserved.Thurmond also never publicly apologized for or renounced his racist actions as Byrd did time and time again, as long as we're comparing them. In fact, Thurmond essentially did the opposite of renounce his racism.
But Byrd, unlike Thurmond, renounced his youthful participation in a racist cause. See, for example, this exchange with CNN's Bernard Shaw in Dec. 1993:Q: What has been your biggest mistake and your biggest success? A: Well, it's easy to state what has been my biggest mistake. The greatest mistake I ever made was joining the Ku Klux Klan. And I've said that many times. But one cannot erase what he has done. He can only change his ways and his thoughts. That was an albatross around my neck that I will always wear. You will read it in my obituary that I was a member of the Ku Klux Klan. Contrast that with an interview Thurmond gave Joseph Stroud of the Charlotte Observer in July 1998 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of his presidential bid on the segregationist Dixiecrat ticket. Asked if he wanted to apologize, Thurmond said, "I don't have anything to apologize for," and "I don't have any regrets." Asked if he thought the Dixiecrats were right, Thurmond said, "Yes, I do."
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_pol...about_byrd.htmlPretty cut and dried.
Lott's comment implicitly referred to segregation.
And you know this because he was a Republican? Whereas comments from Byrd, Biden, and Reid that are explicitly racist can be overlooked because they are Democrats?That seems to be the only unifying logic of the race card.
Thurmond also never publicly apologized for or renounced his racist actions as Byrd did time and time again, as long as we're comparing them.
Byrd: Well, it's easy to state what has been my biggest mistake. The greatest mistake I ever made was joining the Ku Klux Klan. And I've said that many times. But one cannot erase what he has done. He can only change his ways and his thoughts. Pretty cut and dried.
Yes, he apologized for his racist past as a KKK member less than two years after he used the phrase "white ******" in a TV interview. Really convincing. Especially since he had been apologizing for years and he used that objectionable, racist phrase *after* he had apologized and said he was no longer racist.If you believe him, you are either hopelessly ideological devoted to Democrats, or too naive to leave the house.