Official Republicans In Congress Are Idiots Thread

I work in a huge open area with cubicle walls that extend about a foot over the desks. The engineer across from me talks for hours on a wide variety of topics, none of which he shows any signs of knowing the first thing about. He told his neighbor about how we're in such bad shape "now that the interest is 20 or 30 percent of GDP."Keep this story in mind when you read poll results.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rand PaulIn the U.S. Senate, the Senate Majority Leader is now filibustering his own bill. Senate Republicans offered to vote on it tonight. Knowing he would lose if the vote happened tonight, he declined, instead setting a vote for 1am Sunday morning.

Rand PaulIn the U.S. Senate, the Senate Majority Leader is now filibustering his own bill. Senate Republicans offered to vote on it tonight. Knowing he would lose if the vote happened tonight, he declined, instead setting a vote for 1am Sunday morning.
I trust you understand what happened and why that quote is such crap.The offer from the Republicans was to allow a vote on the Senate Bill last night but it would mean that to pass it would require 60 votes and not a simple majority. The Republicans could have easily let a vote happen that would have passed the Bill with a simple majority of 51 but they didn't do that. The Senate Filibuster rules are stupid and one of the reasons that your government is so screwed up and can't ever seem to get anything done.The reason Reid would "lose" a vote last night would have been because of the Republicans a vote last night would have required 60 votes to pass while on Sunday a simple majority of 51 will pass the Bill.
How The Revised Reid Amendment Compares To The Revised Boehner BillREVISED REID AND HOUSE DEBT LIMIT PROPOSALS OVERVIEW * Senator Reid’s revised amendment provides a long-term solution to the default crisis thatwould avoid a downgrade of our credit rating and an economic catastrophe.* The Reid Amendment is a compromise that addresses GOP priorities:1) Its debt limit increase is matched dollar-for-dollar by spending cuts.2) Its spending cuts have been approved by the Republicans.3) It includes no additional revenues.4) It includes the McConnell plan to allow Congress to reject debt increases.* The Reid Amendment does not harm Social Security, Medicare, or Medicaid.* By contrast, the extreme House plan is a short-term fix that threatens our credit rating and our economy, and guarantees a default crisis. REID AMENDMENTSummary * Statutory caps on security and non-security discretionary spending.* Savings from winding down the wars* Other spending savings from the Biden Group* Joint committee on deficit reduction with fast track vote on recommendations* McConnell scheme to tie debt increases to fast tracked resolutions of disapproval.* $2.4 trillion in deficit reduction matches $2.4 trillion increase in debt limit
Well, it's good news that the houses of congress are at the point where they're trying to 1-up each other instead of beat each other by doing nothing better.It's unfortunate that with the majority in the Senate, a large presence in the house, and the presidency, revenue increases are off the table. If a compromise does pass without revenue increases and Democrats don't make a major push for a reworking of the tax code soon after, it will be a major failure in leadership.
REID AMENDMENTSummary * Savings from winding down the wars* Other spending savings from the Biden Group
You know this is an accounting gimmick right? HE is cutting spending that never existed
I trust you understand what happened and why that quote is such crap.The offer from the Republicans was to allow a vote on the Senate Bill last night but it would mean that to pass it would require 60 votes and not a simple majority. The Republicans could have easily let a vote happen that would have passed the Bill with a simple majority of 51 but they didn't do that. The Senate Filibuster rules are stupid and one of the reasons that your government is so screwed up and can't ever seem to get anything done.The reason Reid would "lose" a vote last night would have been because of the Republicans a vote last night would have required 60 votes to pass while on Sunday a simple majority of 51 will pass the Bill.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside...-own-debt-bill/
Senate Republicans want a 60-vote threshold for a debt-limit bill to pass the chamber, but it's actually Democrats who are enforcing the filibuster on their own legislation, insisting on delaying a vote until 1 a.m. Sunday morning.Republicans offered to let the vote happen Friday night, just minutes after the chamber voted to halt a House Republican bill. All sides expect Democrats' bill will fail too, and the GOP said senators might as well kill both at the same time so that negotiations could move on to a compromise."We would be happy to have that vote tonight," Sen. Mitch McConnell, Republicans' leader, offered.But Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid objected, even though the vote would occur on his own bill. He instead said the chamber would have to run out the full procedural clock, which means a vote in the early hours Sunday morning.He said he would be willing to move up the vote if Republicans didn't insist on a 60-vote threshold, which has become traditional for big, controversial items to pass the Senate. But the GOP held firm on that demand, so Mr. Reid said he would insist on the full process, which he said would show the country that Republicans were being obstructionist."There is now another filibuster. That's what this is. It's a filibuster to stop us from moving forward," he said.Mr. Reid complained that if the House had been held to the same super majority rules the Senate often operates under, Republicans' proposal never would have passed over there earlier in the day.Under the rules, to end a filibuster usually requires a vote be delayed until two days after the parliamentary motion is made. But the Senate this year has repeatedly set 60-vote thresholds and held the votes without the two-day delay.For their part, Democrats pointed to reports back in April that showed Republicans themselves were thinking about not insisting on the 60-vote threshold. Those plans were scuttled when it became clear some in the GOP wanted to scrape for every inch in the fight.In lieu of a Senate vote, House Republicans themselves will introduce and then vote to kill the Reid plan on Saturday afternoon as a way to try to force negotiations into the next phase.
Why would you bother to post this? It just makes Republicans look like lying hypocrites, which I assume is something that you do not want.
Huh?Senate Republicans want a 60-vote threshold for a debt-limit bill to pass the chamber, but it's actually Democrats who are enforcing the filibuster on their own legislation, insisting on delaying a vote until 1 a.m. Sunday morning.Republicans offered to let the vote happen Friday night, just minutes after the chamber voted to halt a House Republican bill. All sides expect Democrats' bill will fail too, and the GOP said senators might as well kill both at the same time so that negotiations could move on to a compromise."We would be happy to have that vote tonight," Sen. Mitch McConnell, Republicans' leader, offered.But Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid objected, even though the vote would occur on his own bill. He instead said the chamber would have to run out the full procedural clock, which means a vote in the early hours Sunday morning.
Huh?Senate Republicans want a 60-vote threshold for a debt-limit bill to pass the chamber, but it's actually Democrats who are enforcing the filibuster on their own legislation, insisting on delaying a vote until 1 a.m. Sunday morning.Republicans offered to let the vote happen Friday night, just minutes after the chamber voted to halt a House Republican bill. All sides expect Democrats' bill will fail too, and the GOP said senators might as well kill both at the same time so that negotiations could move on to a compromise."We would be happy to have that vote tonight," Sen. Mitch McConnell, Republicans' leader, offered.But Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid objected, even though the vote would occur on his own bill. He instead said the chamber would have to run out the full procedural clock, which means a vote in the early hours Sunday morning.
The reason they are hypocrites is because they passed their token legislation with only a 50% vote threshold, and now are refusing to let the Democrats pass their bill with a 50% threshold. The reason they are lying is because they are claiming that the Democrats are filibustering to avoid passing a bill, which is not true.Reid's bill has been sitting there for a couple weeks with no action because McConnell refused to vote on it until a house bill passed. Now it is being delayed for two more days because McConnell will filibuster if the Democrats attempt to have a 50% vote. They are waiting for two days so they can avoid the threatened(and utterly pointless) Republican filibuster. Why it would matter for them to pass a bill that will need to be changed later is that if they don't, the Republican liars will once again lie and deceptively say that the house passed a bill but the senate did not. Of course they will fail to add that the house bill is meaningless and the only theoretical reason a senate bill wouldn't pass is that they did their absolute best to block it. "He said he would be willing to move up the vote if Republicans didn't insist on a 60-vote threshold, which has become traditional for big, controversial items to pass the Senate. But the GOP held firm on that demand, so Mr. Reid said he would insist on the full process, which he said would show the country that Republicans were being obstructionist."
The reason they are hypocrites is because they passed their token legislation with only a 50% vote threshold, and now are refusing to let the Democrats pass their bill with a 50% threshold. The reason they are lying is because they are claiming that the Democrats are filibustering to avoid passing a bill, which is not true.Reid's bill has been sitting there for a couple weeks with no action because McConnell refused to vote on it until a house bill passed. Now it is being delayed for two more days because McConnell will filibuster if the Democrats attempt to have a 50% vote. They are waiting for two days so they can avoid the threatened(and utterly pointless) Republican filibuster. Why it would matter for them to pass a bill that will need to be changed later is that if they don't, the Republican liars will once again lie and deceptively say that the house passed a bill but the senate did not. Of course they will fail to add that the house bill is meaningless and the only theoretical reason a senate bill wouldn't pass is that they did their absolute best to block it. "He said he would be willing to move up the vote if Republicans didn't insist on a 60-vote threshold, which has become traditional for big, controversial items to pass the Senate. But the GOP held firm on that demand, so Mr. Reid said he would insist on the full process, which he said would show the country that Republicans were being obstructionist."
How do you argue with a crazy person? Answer: you don't
How do you argue with a crazy person? Answer: you don't
I agree that it is a massive problem that a significant portion of the country will believe any lie you tell them(that they want to believe) and are utterly incapable of logical thinking. I am 99% sure that--To get a 60 vote restriction you have to filibuster or threaten to.(ie Republicans and the Washington Times are lying).-It is impossible for the majority party to filibuster its own bill. Why would they?-You are insane, or at least so ignorant that there is no practical difference.

"We would be happy to have that vote tonight," Sen. Mitch McConnell, Republicans' leader, offered.But Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid objected, even though the vote would occur on his own bill. He instead said the chamber would have to run out the full procedural clock, which means a vote in the early hours Sunday morning.

Sen. Reid: 'It's Always Been The Case You Need 60 Votes'Jul 29 2011Sen. Reid Says: 'The Need To Muster 60 Votes… Is A Tool That Serves The Long-Term Interest Of The Senate And The American People And Our Country.'SEN. HARRY REID (D-NV): "In the Senate, it's always been the case you need 60 votes." (PBS' "Charlie Rose Show," 3/5/07)SEN. HARRY REID (D-NV): "As majority leader, I intend to run the Senate with respect for the rules and for the minority rights the rules protect. The Senate was not established to be efficient. Sometimes the rules get in the way of efficiency. The Senate was established to make sure that minorities are protected. Majorities can always protect themselves, but minorities cannot. That is what the Senate is all about. For more than 200 years, the rules of the Senate have protected the American people, and rightfully so. The need to muster 60 votes in order to terminate Senate debate naturally frustrates the majority and oftentimes the minority. I am sure it will frustrate me when I assume the office of majority leader in a few weeks. But I recognize this requirement is a tool that serves the long-term interest of the Senate and the American people and our country. It is often said that the laws are 'the system of wise restraints that set men free.' The same might be said of the Senate rules. I will do my part as majority leader to foster respect for the rules and traditions of our great institution. I say on this floor that I love so much that I believe in the Golden Rule. I am going to treat my Republican colleagues the way that I expect to be treated. There is no 'I've got you,' no get even. I am going to do everything I can to preserve the traditions and rules of this institution that I love." (Sen. Reid, Congressional Record, S.11591, 12/8/06)SEN. HARRY REID (D-NV): "60 votes are required for just about everything." "I have talked with Senator McConnell about this. You know, we may have to come up with a number of resolutions that require 60 votes. Because, as you know, in the Senate, a lot of times 60 votes are required for just about everything. So that's certainly one of the things we're taking into consideration." (Sen. Harry Reid, Press Conference, CQ Transcriptions, 1/30/07)

You can stop embarrassing yourself now. Even fox news has now admitted that the Republicans are filibustering. This is a disgusting thing to do considering that we are on a strict time limit and filibustering accomplishes nothing. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/07/30...ical-jockeying/"But the Senate hasn't voted on the bill yet and is planning a test vote in the wee hours of Sunday morning to break a GOP filibuster."If you want confirmation you can check 100 other newspapers- other than the Washington Times, which is one of the most mendacious newspapers in history.

THE GOP has asked Harry to have a vote on his bill... he is refusing. Why wont Harry bring his bill up for a vote?here is the senate floor transcript Senator Reid: (7:55 PM)Moved to Concur in the House Amendment to S. 627 (House-passed Debt Ceiling Plan) and Moved to Table the Motion.Senator McConnell: (7:56 PM)"Would the Majority Leader yield for a question?"Senator Reid: (7:56 PM)"I would be happy to yeild without losing my right to the floor."Senator McConnell: (7:56 PM)"I would ask my friend, the Majority Leader, is it his intention after we have the vote on tabling the proposal that came over from the House to file cloture on the Reid budget?"Senator Reid: (7:57 PM)"Yes."Senator McConnell: (7:57 PM)"I would say to my friend, we would be happy to have that vote tonight, and I would also mention to my friend, the House of Representatives intends to vote on the Reid Amendment tomorrow afternoon at 1:00 PM. But, in order to accommodate the schedules of senators, we would be more than happy to accommodate the Majority and have the vote on the Reid budget tonight."Senator Reid: (7:57 PM)"Mr. President, I say through the chair to my friend, the distinguished Republican Leader, let's hope they're more timely in their 1:00 vote tomorrow than they have been the last few days. I would say this very directly: we would be happy to have a vote on the Reid Amendment, a vote just like the House did today, a majority vote. We've gotten into an issue here that is untoward. Everything that moves is a supermajority. That isn't the way it should be. So we are happy to have a vote any time, but it should be a majority vote, just like the House had. The House had a majority vote today and they had an overwhelming extra vote of none. So, we'd be happy to have a simple majority vote on the Democratic proposal we're putting forward."Senator McConnell: (7:58 PM)"Is that a consent?"Senator Reid: (7:58 PM)"That's a consent. We will be happy to have a vote if it's a simple majority."Senator McConnell: (7:58 PM)"Mr. President, reserving the right to object. Let me just say, this is almost an out-of-body experience to have someone suggest that we have a 50-vote threshold on a matter of this magnitude here in the United States Senate. I'm perplexed, Mr. President, genuinely perplexed that my friend, the Majority Leader, doesn't want to vote on his proposal as soon as possible. I object."

Honestly. You can stop now. I graciously offered to let you stop embarrassing yourself and I wouldn't criticize you further. Do you know what a cloture vote is? It is a vote to break the REPUBLICAN FILIBUSTER. http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archiv...alemate/242800/I would like to congratulate 4 republican senators for acting as patriots, putting the country ahead of their political interests. Lisa Murkowski, Olympia Snowe , Susan Collins , and Scott Brown.The other 43 republican senators are acting as economic terrorists, doing everything they can to bring about an unprecedented US default that could be disastrous.

Reports are that a compromise deal is getting close and everybody should certainly hope that sanity takes hold and something gets done. If the deal below is the one that ends up passing it should be something that most other than the fringe elements can live with.http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2011/07/w...t-ceiling-.htmlABC News' Jonathan Karl reports: ABC News has learned that Republicans and the White House have struck a tenative deal to raise the debt ceiling before the Aug. 2 deadline. It's not done yet, but here is the framework of the tentative deal they have worked out, according to a source familiar with the negotiations: •Debt ceiling increase of up to $2.8 trillion •Spending cuts of roughly $1 trillion •Special committee to recommend cuts of $1.8 trillion (or whatever it takes to add up to the total of the debt ceiling increase) •Committee must make recommendations before Thanksgiving recess •If Congress does not approve those cuts by late December, automatic across-the-board cuts go into effect, including cuts to Defense and Medicare.

The Senate Filibuster rules are stupid and one of the reasons that your government is so screwed up and can't ever seem to get anything done.
Totally agree. This is the main reason that the US is such a crappy country. It's ridiculous how sucky we are.
Totally agree. This is the main reason that the US is such a crappy country. It's ridiculous how sucky we are.
Without a doubt, countries without the ability to filibuster are much better places to live.
Nice reading comprehension.Having a dysfunctional government does not make you a crappy country. It does make things crappier.
How The Revised Reid Amendment Compares To The Revised Boehner BillREVISED REID AND HOUSE DEBT LIMIT PROPOSALS OVERVIEW * Senator Reid’s revised amendment provides a long-term solution to the default crisis thatwould avoid a downgrade of our credit rating and an economic catastrophe.* The Reid Amendment is a compromise that addresses GOP priorities:1) Its debt limit increase is matched dollar-for-dollar by spending cuts.2) Its spending cuts have been approved by the Republicans.3) It includes no additional revenues.4) It includes the McConnell plan to allow Congress to reject debt increases.* The Reid Amendment does not harm Social Security, Medicare, or Medicaid.* By contrast, the extreme House plan is a short-term fix that threatens our credit rating and our economy, and guarantees a default crisis. REID AMENDMENTSummary * Statutory caps on security and non-security discretionary spending.* Savings from winding down the wars* Other spending savings from the Biden Group* Joint committee on deficit reduction with fast track vote on recommendations* McConnell scheme to tie debt increases to fast tracked resolutions of disapproval.* $2.4 trillion in deficit reduction matches $2.4 trillion increase in debt limit
Moody's: Neither debt plan protects the nation's AAA rating"The chances of a significant improvement in the long-term credit profile of the government coming from deficit reductions of the magnitude proposed in either plan are not high."What a surprise.
Nice reading comprehension.Having a dysfunctional government does not make you a crappy country. It does make things crappier.
huh?!?!?! I was AGREEING WITH YOU!