Wsop 2011 $10k Nl Holdem Main Event

Watched a bunch on TSN. Some of it was pretty interesting, but I'd have to say that live poker is barely watchable unless you have a vested interest in the outcome. Watching that dude sweat the clock for 15 minutes before making the (bad?) call on Ben Lamb's trip deuces was brutal.PS: I agree with Untilted below. In that same hand, he had raised with his 32 holding, which is pretty bold multi-level thinking

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, the traditional pros got crushed in the main event. Based on the last few years as well it seems that the internet pros are definitely better than the name pros when it comes to playing against a large number of amateurs. In general, the gap between amateur and pro seems smaller than ever.
Without backing this up with any statistics, I think there are a lot more unknown excellent online payers than there are LIVE well known pros. Maybe Bob knows the ratio better than I. A pro is still a pro in my eye and I don't think there is that much difference to an expert live pro as compared to an expert online pro as far as skill level. Just on probability alone, you are going to see more relatively unknown online pros go deep than the Live pros that you know. I do think Ben Lamb will join the elite as far as well known and highly visible pros following this year. He has had an incredible series.

I think Ben should be able to take this down I hopeWas great to watch it live, as far as the commentating went Phil was my least favthe best was Olivier Busquet his analyzing and dissecting was really good Magic man not bad as well. To be honest Phil was more into himself Until November

Badih Bounahra - 49-year-old businessmanPhil Collins - 26-year-old poker proBryan Devonshire - 29-year-old poker proMatt Giannetti - 26-year-old poker pro Pius Heinz - 22-year-old studentJohn Hewitt - 23-year-old poker proSam Holden - 22-year-old poker proBen Lamb's - 26-year-old poker proAnton Makievskyi - 21-year-old Khoa Nguyen - 29-year-old poker proEoghan O'Dea - 26-year-old studentMartin Staszko - 35-year-old poker pro
Young man's game apparently.
To be honest Phil was more into himself
The hell you say!
Watched a bunch on TSN. Some of it was pretty interesting, but I'd have to say that live poker is barely watchable unless you have a vested interest in the outcome. Watching that dude sweat the clock for 15 minutes before making the (bad?) call on Ben Lamb's trip deuces was brutal.PS: I agree with Untilted below. In that same hand, he had raised with his 32 holding, which is pretty bold multi-level thinking
hmmm Antonio made it sound like it was an easy fold, but I don't think folding top 2 pair in that spot is that easy. It was really hard to watch though. I just watched it this morning to see who bubbled and I fast forwarded through 95% of it. I know there is a ton on the line but the play is so ridiculously slow. Now I know why players are so exhausted after these multi-day events. The play is just so slow and boring. It's like sitting in a classroom and staring at the clock all day. I think this is definitely one of the reasons why the young players suceed. I can't imagine Doyle Brunson sitting at one of these tables waiting 12 minutes between hands without freaking out.

Maybe it was because I don't play much any more, but I really enjoyed the live coverage, even the 10 minute tank call of Lamb's trips. It was pretty impressive to hear some of the logic that Antonio and others were spewing out re what a person had to have, and almost always being right. And even better in one hand where the two players both had air and were playing a real game of chicken and the prediction was dead wrong about anyone having any piece of the board - think Phil was predicting that hand.Plus it was fun to watch that Moutinho gal.....I think it is a real positive step forward for the WSOP. I am going to be anxious to see what their ratings were, but my guess is quite high. And it is going to make watching the Tuesday night broadcasts even more fun, especially watching Lamb abuse the tables preflop as he seemed to be doing quite a bit.So I hope it continues in the future. The only rule I might suggest is no electronics at the table so the players could not be fed info while at the table about what happened 1/2 hour earlier - they can save that for the breaks.

So I hope it continues in the future. The only rule I might suggest is no electronics at the table so the players could not be fed info while at the table about what happened 1/2 hour earlier - they can save that for the breaks.
My understanding was that they weren't supposed to have electronics at the table. I even saw the dealer make a comment to a player. But still, like you mentioned, 30 minutes earlier might have only been 3-5 hands. Here was something on the hole cards and delay: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/poker/2011-...tv_n.htm?csp=34

This is great news! :club: I definitely expect them to do this again next year with those ratings gains and they may even expand it to other final tables imo. Ratings and viewership for ESPN’s first-ever daily live coverage of the WSOP Main Event from July 14-19 were up double digits over every day part (non-primetime) on ESPN2 compared to July 2010. The 10 telecasts on ESPN2 averaged 415,000 viewers, an increase of 58% from 263,000 viewers a year ago. The biggest day part gains were made during the early morning (1:00-5:00am ET) on ESPN2 when live WSOP coverage got 286,000 viewers, up 126% from 126,000 viewers. In primetime, ESPN2 averaged 504,000 viewers, while the one prime time telecast on ESPN (July 19) delivered 646,000 viewers.

This is great news! :club: I definitely expect them to do this again next year with those ratings gains and they may even expand it to other final tables imo. Ratings and viewership for ESPN’s first-ever daily live coverage of the WSOP Main Event from July 14-19 were up double digits over every day part (non-primetime) on ESPN2 compared to July 2010. The 10 telecasts on ESPN2 averaged 415,000 viewers, an increase of 58% from 263,000 viewers a year ago. The biggest day part gains were made during the early morning (1:00-5:00am ET) on ESPN2 when live WSOP coverage got 286,000 viewers, up 126% from 126,000 viewers. In primetime, ESPN2 averaged 504,000 viewers, while the one prime time telecast on ESPN (July 19) delivered 646,000 viewers.
Ya thats def a good thing for poker, I was wondering about those stats.
So I hope it continues in the future. The only rule I might suggest is no electronics at the table so the players could not be fed info while at the table about what happened 1/2 hour earlier - they can save that for the breaks.
58. Cell Phone Rule: All cell phones and other voice-enabled and “ringing” electronic devices must be turned off during tournament play. Players not involved in a hand (cards in muck) shall be permitted to text/email at the table, but shall not be permitted to text/email any other player at the table. If Rio, acting in its sole and absolute discretion, believes a player is communicating with another player at the table, both parties will be immediately disqualified from the tournament and face imposition of additional penalties as described in Rule 38. All players desiring to talk on a cell phone must be at least one table length away from their assigned table during all said communication. Those individuals who talk on a cell phone not at least one table length away from their assigned table shall be subject to a penalty to be determined by Tournament Staff. No cell phones or other electronic communication device can be placed on a poker table.59. Approved Electronic Device Rule: Players are allowed to use as approved electronic devices iPods, MP3 and other music players or noise- reduction headsets during Tournament play until they have reached the money in any Tournament, so long as the approved electronic devices are not used to collude or cheat in any way. Once players are in the money in any Tournament, all approved electronic devices must be removed. An announcement will be made to players once they have reached the money to remove all such electronic devices. Failure to do so will results in a penalty up to and including disqualification, in accordance with Rule 96.Those rules are fine as they are imo.