I Have No Opinion On Contracts Thread 2011 Edition Part A

I think Tiger has suffered an assasination of his reputation so drastic...
He suffered an assassination? More like suicide imo. He put himself in the position he ended up in, no one else forced him there. On the whole, I prefer my favorite sports stars to not be a robot, not be arrogant to the point of excess. I love Chad Johnson/Ochocinco. Is he arrogant. Yup. But he has a sense of humor about it. He doesn't take himself as seriously as some believe. Tiger takes himself pretty darn seriously. Hell, I never liked Wayne. I don't deny that Wayne played great hockey or that Tiger played great Golf but being good at something is not the barometer I use to determine if I have to like a guy.
  • Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He suffered an assassination? More like suicide imo. He put himself in the position he ended up in, no one else forced him there.
Poor choice of words, the point I was making still stands.I respect that you guys both say you hated him before everything happened.Fact is, and maybe this is just selective memory, but nobody ever used to say anything bad about tiger. And he generally avoided controversy, despite being in the spot light 100% of the time. Now it's "oh, I never liked him anyway, he was always an arrogant douche". I just don't see it. He was probably the most popular and marketable athlete in all of sports before this happened.
On the whole, I prefer my favorite sports stars to not be a robot, not be arrogant to the point of excess. I love Chad Johnson/Ochocinco. Is he arrogant. Yup. But he has a sense of humor about it. He doesn't take himself as seriously as some believe. Tiger takes himself pretty darn seriously.
How do you know how seriously Tiger takes himself? I would guess he takes his golf pretty darn seriously, but that would seem a good thing.Tiger enrolled in the School of Jordan early on. Probably soon after the infamous Esquire article came out where he was telling a bunch of "off-color" jokes and got lambasted for it.The School of Jordan is this:1. Be great.2. Don't say anything interesting ever.3. Profit.Tiger made unfathomable amounts of money through endorsements.How much did 85 make?If people don't want to like Tiger because they don't like certain things that they see, that's fine. Everybody is entitled and all that. But I think we would all be better served if we stopped trying to pretend we really know somebody based on public persona.
Poor choice of words, the point I was making still stands.I respect that you guys both say you hated him before everything happened.Fact is, and maybe this is just selective memory, but nobody ever used to say anything bad about tiger. And he generally avoided controversy, despite being in the spot light 100% of the time. Now it's "oh, I never liked him anyway, he was always an arrogant douche". I just don't see it. He was probably the most popular and marketable athlete in all of sports before this happened.
The stuff I used to recall, that I wasnt sure how to judge, was the times when he would yell at fans for making a noise, or some guy taking a pic at the event. I understand there are etiquettes to golf, but you gotta try to control that, I thought.(hard for me to judge though, I dont know the rules that well, and I never assume to know everything thats going on when the cameras are off)But that is the controversy that Im pretty sure existed before.That said, things have taken on a whole other level of ridiculous cause he had sex with women that werent his wife. Its just stupid.
Tiger enrolled in the School of Jordan early on. Probably soon after the infamous Esquire article came out where he was telling a bunch of "off-color" jokes and got lambasted for it.The School of Jordan is this:1. Be great.2. Don't say anything interesting ever.3. Profit.Tiger made unfathomable amounts of money through endorsements.
I dont know who you are, but that is absolutely how I saw Tiger as a fan. He was Jordan #2 in my eyes. And they both got harassed for never being politically relevant.
Again, I can only speak for myself. I don't think I ever went around saying I disliked Tiger before hand because it was something that wasn't normally talked about. It's not uncommon now for people to ask that question after the way he has handled himself so you hear more people come out about it. Same with LeBron. Never liked the guy. Big stupid childish dick. But now LeBron fans are crying that people are saying bad things about him and it only started being a hot topic after the "Decision". It's just how it goes. I don;t think everyone that enjoys hockey likes Wayne but you won't hear it much from that side because there isn't a story behind it like there is with Tiger and LeBron. I am sure my above post is one of the very few times I have ever admitted that I never like Wayne. But again, you don;t have to be a nice guy to be marketable and popular. I mean as an aside I guess, a lot of kids looked up to Tiger. I wouldn't want Jin to look up to someone like that personally. I would rather have him look up to someone like Yzerman or Granderson or Toews.
How do you know how seriously Tiger takes himself?
I think I have seen enough of him on TV to make an educated guess on how he handles himself. You may see something completely different and that is fine. I have no problem with that much like you shouldn't really have a problem with how I perceive him. Unless you are him or his mother.

I am not one to go rooting out alts but I read those posts of Cindy;s and I expect to look over and see a particular username. I am about 95% sure I know who it is based on posts alone.

I think fans tend to mix the athlete with the person too much.I think Tiger is/was a great golfer and I enjoyed watching him play.Take away the talent and as a person he never did strike me as someone who I would enjoy hanging with.Also, let's not forget that he 's been somewhat of a prodigy since childhood. I can't recall specifics, but I believe he was on the tonight show as a 4 year old. Look at childhood stars in other occupations and see how well they transitioned into adulthood. It's actually surprising that he was able to dominate such a mental game. I think his arrogance/robotics/lack of personality played a huge role in his success.

I am not one to go rooting out alts but I read those posts of Cindy;s and I expect to look over and see a particular username. I am about 95% sure I know who it is based on posts alone.
IP Lookup tool ftw!

I am not happy with Bell or Eastlink. Assuming Rogers is available to me, I would switch to them even if they promised equally crappy service, as long as they committed to spending more money on the Jays.I'm not entirely happy with that sentence structure, but it gets my point across.

I think fans tend to mix the athlete with the person too much.I think Tiger is/was a great golfer and I enjoyed watching him play.
Its just one of those things where there is a line in the sand, and everyone draws it different. For some, they cant stomach a guy like Avery coming out for gay marriage. For others, its not liking how cocky the guy seems.Id like to say my line is crossed at murder, but Im pretty sure I still like Ray Lewis of Baltimore as a football fan. And Michael Vick...great QB, fun as hell to watch.It was a long time ago, but Im pretty sure there was a time when most fans didnt like Steve Yzerman, and thought he was cocky+selfish. Then, Bowman came on board, and suddenly Steve Y was all team player. Sometimes Im a little suprised at just how widely respected Steve Y is. He might be one of the most respected ex-atheletes in hockey.(not a shot at you Steve, just bring it up cause you mentioned his name and I, like you, love Steve Y now. You can dislike whoever you want. I hate AJ Burnett with a passion, but its probably rooted in some baseball pool thing, beyond he was an ass)Oh, and Granderson might be one of the nicest most philanthropic athelets in sports today. I keep reading some incredible things about him.damn, nice rant!
Ron Artest won the NBA Citizenship Award in 2011.
And changed his name to Metta World Peace.Stevie Y was pretty cocky when he was 18-24. I vaguely remember that but I was way younger than him at the time. But then he grew up. Is Tiger ever going to grow up? LeBron has a chance to but I wouldn't bet on it. People do change though.I am not a Verlander fan. Great pitcher btu I don't like the guy that much. He can grow up too though.
How are these people the best the Republicans have to offer? There are legitimately smart people in the USA. I think? Why are politicians the absolute most retarded?
Has Palin announced that she was running. I didnt think she was.Money man. The tea party is being funded from some really rich dude. You got money, you got power.

I've heard a few different people who have met or are related by marriage to Yzerman and they didn't think much of him.It doesn't really influence my opinion much as I've never met him. Damn fine hockey player though!

Has Palin announced that she was running. I didnt think she was.Money man. The tea party is being funded from some really rich dude. You got money, you got power.
I dunno, but she's just retarded. So is Bachmann.
I've heard a few different people who have met or are related by marriage to Yzerman and they didn't think much of him.It doesn't really influence my opinion much as I've never met him. Damn fine hockey player though!
I used to do business with him. He was always really nice with me. So was Lisa.Someone brought up Avery. Avery is a dick. I can say that because I used to deal with him at another job all the time and he was a flat out dick. Hasek too. Schneider was quiet. Hull was friendly, used to talk with him all the time. Steve Thomas was nice. Fedorov was quiet. Chelios was hilarious.
I assume most of the Wings also live in the building you manage? #timesaretough
lolI used to work at the school Yzerman's children attended. I ran special and summer programs and he was always calling me looking for fun stuff for his kids to do. He would always call me and say, hey steve, it's steve, hehehe. He was really nice all the time. I was always nervous especially when I had to call him back if I missed him.The other guys I used to cook food for. Hull would always get some butternut squash ravioli with a lot of palomino sauce. Chelios would just have me grab him an entire rotisserie chicken off the rotisserie and and go sit down an eat it all.