Poker Books And Learning

Hey guys, Is there a suggested reading list for someone who has some experience with NLHE cash games but who wants to make a serious attempt at getting better and actually playing it for more than a hobby? I'm asking for a buddy of mine who is asking me for some help on getting started. I have a ton of books to loan him, but I'm really not sure where to start. This would be (at least temporarily) for live $1/$2 games. Books targeting online play would be fine too I'm sure if applicable. A read order (for beginner) would be especially helpful. On a separate note...what are the poker books that I should be reading, re-reading, highlighting, taking notes on, memorizing, etc. for $1/$2 NLHE live cash games? I have already read most of the books, I would like to pick a select few (2-3) that I should really hunker down and study and practice carefully now. I know I need to think on my own and make sure to incorporate all the different variables, but I would like a strong foundation/theoretically correct solid line of play to start with and alter it depending on conditions from there if needed. I would have a lot more confidence in my abilities if I can be sure of the "correct" default play. Oftentimes I find myself wondering what it is. Thanks

Hi Everyone, I'd say at the moment I'm an amateur at poker. I play with a set group of friends and play the same games, but I am not coming out a consistent winner, which is really irritating because I am really good at reading people, and I play with total stoners! (I figure these people can be easy to beat) Her are some questions that I have for all: -What is a great book on learning poker odds, tells, and various strategies? Thus far, I have picked up "Mike Caro's Book of Tells", and it seems to be very good thus far. -What are some basic strategies that all good poker players should follow (Ex: starting bankroll, general advice, when to definitely fold, etc.) -What are the easiest tells to spot? Basically, I play poker with a bunch of idiots; though they may possess common sense at the table, I think I can easily break the bank due to their lack of "true" poker knowledge, and the fact that they're high every time we play. Most importantly, I wanna be a graet poker player and move on to playing in several different social circles.

Hi Everyone, I'd say at the moment I'm an amateur at poker. I play with a set group of friends and play the same games, but I am not coming out a consistent winner, which is really irritating because I am really good at reading people, and I play with total stoners! (I figure these people can be easy to beat) Her are some questions that I have for all: -What is a great book on learning poker odds, tells, and various strategies? Thus far, I have picked up "Mike Caro's Book of Tells", and it seems to be very good thus far. -What are some basic strategies that all good poker players should follow (Ex: starting bankroll, general advice, when to definitely fold, etc.) -What are the easiest tells to spot? Basically, I play poker with a bunch of idiots; though they may possess common sense at the table, I think I can easily break the bank due to their lack of "true" poker knowledge, and the fact that they're high every time we play. Most importantly, I wanna be a graet poker player and move on to playing in several different social circles.
If you're a beginner, I'd start with Phil Gordon's Little Green Book. Gordon gets completely raked on forums but his book is a good starting point. There are TONS of useful articles on Bankroll management. This one is good.http://www.pocketfives.com/articles/basic-...agement-224586/Don't focus on tells. Focus on betting patterns. Play lots. Books are good but nothing beats actual experience. If you're truly serious I'd start 50/50 - half playing half studying. Best of luck.
DeucesCracked.com or pokervt but dc has more cash game content including a new series on lolive pokerzread Theory of Poker by Sklanskyread Harrington on Cash Games (both volumes)post questions and stuff in the strat forum http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...hp?showforum=16download poker stove and play around with that whenever you have an interesting hand/spot (post in the strat forum if you need help coming up with a good range of hands for villain)