Alderney Suspends Ftp License

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does suck but all the news about it is actually a boom for the regulation argument. I just posted the AGA video calling for legislation on the poker legislation thread.

It does suck but all the news about it is actually a boom for the regulation argument. I just posted the AGA video calling for legislation on the poker legislation thread.
I think this is terrible for potential regulation in the near future.

wow poker finally made it to the main page of cnn! congrats!edit: that probably sounded more mean spirited than I intended. you guys are screwed.

I think this is terrible for potential regulation in the near future.
On the surface maybe it seems that way, but one of the biggest arguments for regulation is to protect US consumers from offshore scammers, which is exactly how FTP is being represented here. Had regulation been in place this would have never happened. It's very apparent that poker players are going to play, legislation or not so this actually makes the argument for legislation much stronger. I'm not sure how to see it any other way really. Yes on the one hand it's another black mark against poker but actually it's really only a black mark on FTP who "took advantage" of US players.

The general population isn't going to look at this from a purely FTP argument. Look at the title of the article on CNN, it's "Poker Site" not, "FTP". This story is everywhere, I've never seen a poker story get more media coverage, and it's terrible publicity for the online poker world. The public is going to perceive this as "Well, typical, it's online gambling, what do you expect?!?!" (Just read the comments on CNN). The push for regulation is already meeting roadblocks from politicians, now they have even more ammunition to sway the public. This is really, really bad.

Especially when the public sees the big names being associated with this massive scam. Your average person sees guys like Lederer or Jesus who they have watched on TV be associated with this scandal and they automatically blanket every poker player with the same judgment. Lederer and Jesus always came off on TV as normal, classy guys. When the public sees that they are the exact opposite they will most likely assume that all poker players are the same, and then ask themselves... why get behind legislation? these guys are scumbags?I think you are a bit disillusioned DD, optimism is good, but I think you are ignoring what is really most likely to come of this.

It may be different since poker is gambling and considered by the moral police as wrong but traditionally when US citizens are scammed the general public starts crying out for regulations and protections to prevent it happening again. Hopefully there are enough sensible politicians (well that's too much to hope for but you know what I mean) and people that the same will prove true for online poker regulation. The key word here is the "poker site" is accused for scamming the people not people doing the scamming. I've talked with several people today who are active in trying to get legislation, including a PPA rep and most think this will turn out to be good for regulation but I do see your point.

Well obviously those active are going to try to remain as hopeful and positive as possible, which they should. But I don't think the public feels remorse for players, I don't think they understand the gravity of the situation for players. In their minds, its "well you were gambling, you were bound to lose your money!" That article really isn't directed towards sympathy for the players, it's pointing out how scummy fulltilt owners were. I think if the article had a different direction I'd be somewhat more hopeful . And yeah, having someone recognizable like Jesus Ferguson involved in this is just a hugeeee setback.But, I guess the only thing to do is remain hopeful like you are, or to move on from poker. I just find it hard to imagine myself doin' a Sunday Grind a year from now given what has transpired.

Honestly, it's a double edged sword, the question is which side will turn out to be the sharpest. Let's hope it's the side that benefits us not screws us. The best thing we have going for us now is that Tom Ridge and a former FBI head have joined in with Fair Play USA to support legislation and regulation and the B&Ms are on board now too. The American Gaming Association has the money to pay the lobbyist to get what they want. After all let's not fool ourselves this is America, what the people want is irrelevant it's who has the most money to buy the politicians votes on a bill.

I almost got tarred and feathered a while ago when I dared to suggest that the sites didn't keep enough on Reserve to pay all players if a run ever happened.This yet again gives a face to the Bogey Man that the General Public sees in Poker and On-line Gaming.Not good.

On the positive side of things at least one federal prison ballroom dance team is going to get a lot better!
Yeah, but they will hate the cash games tho. Horrible structure and terrible, terrible play. More like B I N G O. I could not take the "but it was soooted" and "pot odds, I had to make that call" statements. That was the most excruciating part of the whole deal.
sorry to rain on your parade DD, i usually like being positive, but were f*cked. I mean, like jenna jameson f*cked; not that 2am Cinimax f*cked
:club: ^^^ Love the analogy!! Very well put!! ^^^ :ts (no offense, but I hope your wrong)
But, I guess the only thing to do is remain hopeful like you are, or to move on from poker. I just find it hard to imagine myself doin' a Sunday Grind a year from now given what has transpired.
Let's go to Vancouver, sir. We can recreate in those mountains and get our grind on; I'll get a real job as ISAP
sorry to rain on your parade DD, i usually like being positive, but were f*cked. I mean, like jenna jameson f*cked; not that 2am Cinimax f*cked
This kid is coming with us and his post made me laughLet's bring BellaireSexy and lots of others
Let's go to Vancouver, sir. We can recreate in those mountains and get our grind on; I'll get a real job as ISAPThis kid is coming with us and his post made me laughLet's bring BellaireSexy and lots of others
I'm downnnn