2011 And 2012 Off Season Thread

Players who are released through the amnesty clause aren't immediately free to sign with any team they want. The first thing that happens is that all teams under the salary cap can submit claims for the player and the highest bidder gets him.If none of those teams claim the player, only then do they become free agents.This makes it less likely that players of any value actually make it onto contending teams like LA, Chicago, and Miami.
I love this. Add an extra element that should make things more interesting.
  • Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HOLY SHIT I MEAN WHAT THE HELL

he works in professional basketball, so i'm inclined to believe him.

I like that you have such strong opinions about a sport that you just started watching during these last playoffs.I wonder who Brand goes to. It's always fun when guys go from being an albatross to t

oh man christmas day is going to be so sweet. start it off with the knicks and STAT. then we get d rose and kobe and if you're into a finals rematch and lebron you can watch that. then d howard and the durantula. and after all that sweetness, just when you think you cant take any more, they give you BFG and steph curry. oh man.

• 3 weeks later...
oh man christmas day is going to be so sweet. start it off with the knicks and STAT. then we get d rose and kobe and if you're into a finals rematch and lebron you can watch that. then d howard and the durantula. and after all that sweetness, just when you think you cant take any more, they give you BFG and steph curry. oh man.
And now that Clippers night cap is even better! Is it Christmas yet???Hurry up Christmas!I agree with Stan Van Gundy (sans sarcasm):"I think the NBA is so important to Christmas that we really need to increase from five games to 10, and we need to start them at midnight on Christmas Eve and play them all through the day so there's not a minute of Christmas Day when there's not an NBA game on TV. Because it's great. The NBA is Christmas ... It's what it's all about."
  • 5 months later...

I'm actually pretty interested in the lottery/draft this year. Most years I don't care all that much. I think it's because most of the projected lottery picks are guys I actually saw play in the tournament this year. I think the New Jersey/Portland subplot is really interesting; so much on the line there. I always like it more when one of the teams that just missed the playoffs wins the lottery. One player rarely transforms a bottom-feeder to serious playoff team, but if a team like Houston, Portland, or Minnesota wins it, that really makes things interesting. I just want the draft order set, so the trade rumors and mock drafts can start in earnest.

I just want the Raptors to win the lottery in a year where it matters like this year.They won the year they drafted Camby but because of expansion rules they couldn't get the number 1 pick and take Iverson.Then they won and took Barney in a year without a clear cut number 1.Anthony Davis is going to be special I think.

dan gilbert sucks a bag of hairy dicks and certainly doesn't deserve to win the lottery. but i gotta say, i'd really like to see kyrie irving and anthony davis together for the next ten years.

If New Jersey Brooklyn wins the lottery, they have to trade it for Dwight, right? Getting Howard lets you keep Deron Williams and that's a better duo than anyone except Lebron/Wade. And if you're the Magic, you certainly make that deal too, so seems like both teams would be interested in making it happen. Phoenix and Sacramento winning the lottery would be interesting because they have good centers already. They're not going to pass on Davis because of Cousins or Gortat, but that would make them intriguing trade bait. Irving and Davis would be nice. So would Wall and Davis.

Order by record:14. Houston13. Phoenix12. Milwaukee11. Portland10. New Orleans (via Minnesota)9. Detroit8. Toronto7. Golden State6. Portland (via Brooklyn)5. Sacramento4. New Orleans3. Cleveland2. Washington1. CharlotteLottery results:14. Houston13. Phoenix12. Milwaukee11. Portland10. New Orleans9. Detroit8. Toronto7. Golden State6. Portland5. Sacramento4. Cleveland (means that New Orleans moved up, start your conspiracy theories)Aaaaand commercial now plus Davis interview coming up. Gay.3.2.1.

Honestly, I think that's pretty silly. And this: "I bet I could get my owner to tank if I knew the chance of getting the No. 1 pick was 100 percent," an NBA team president said in an email.doesn't even make sense. If you knew the chance of getting the No. 1 pick was 100%, there would be no reason to tank.Early prediction: whoever takes Andre Drummond is going to be severely disappointed. Guys that big who can only get you 6 rebounds in college probably won't translate that well to the pro game.

I doubt it's rigged but with Stern and the NBA you just never know.Drummond has bust writter all over him. He's the one guy I for sure don't want the Raptors to get.

I'd be worried about Sullinger and Barnes too.I've seen a lot of people projecting Jeremy Lamb to Toronto.I bet Kidd-Gilchrist and Thomas Robinson are hoping they're the 3rd pick instead of 2nd. Either one of those guys will be interesting with John Wall.

Yesterday, Doug Goettlieb had Royce White as his #5 pick... hahaha.I'm sad that he was getting buzz on ESPN, because I was hoping that he would fall to Miami.

• 5 weeks later...
Good interview with Steve Nash talking about his options as a free agent. Keeping my fingers crossed for The Raptorshttp://espn.go.com/n...longer-home-run
I think Hollinger makes a great case that Nash should be looking at Indiana if he wants money AND an opportunity to win.So, I hope he does go to Toronto. They'll be much better but still far from contention.

I think quality of life in the city he moves to will play a part in Nash's decision and Indianapolis will be at the bottom of that scale for somebody like him.Don't get me wrong it's a nice enough place but it doesn't have the cultural variety of a place like Toronto or New York where he lives in the off season.

Bill Simmons wrote an article article about how great Indianapolis was.Also, Chad Ford is terrible:"Hornets: AAnalysis: Getting their hands on Davis assured the Hornets an A regardless of whatever else they did in the draft. "