2011 And 2012 Off Season Thread

they just need to lower the players share of BRI to 51%, lower the total years on max contracts to four and get rid of the MLE. boom. no lockout, SA21 for commish.
Unless teams aren't really losing money. If you were a player, would you agree to lower your salary by 6% so the owners can make more money?I'd agree to shorter max contracts and getting rid of the MLE. I'd even agree to a slight rollback on salaries IN THIS ECONOMY. I don't think the players should have to make major concessions however.
  • Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HOLY SHIT I MEAN WHAT THE HELL

he works in professional basketball, so i'm inclined to believe him.

I like that you have such strong opinions about a sport that you just started watching during these last playoffs.I wonder who Brand goes to. It's always fun when guys go from being an albatross to t

when i first heard that the NBA was losing 370 millon a year i knew that number couldnt be "correct." but the players will cave, and if i can tell the players i kept them above a 50/50 split, i'm happy. and the owners have to lose the MLE to protect themselves and the david khan's of the world. too easy? i actually thought khan sounded pretty intelligent on the BS Report. anyways, the players are going to lose money, just accept it and don't miss games and they lose less actual paychecks. boom, SA21 for King/President.

• 4 months later...
Yikes. I know the Heat will target a center to use the mid-level on but I'm not sure who. Roll the dice on Greg Oden maybe? Sam Dalembert?
If I was in charge of the Heat, I would definitely go after Oden. Then I would severely limit his minutes for most of the season to coax him into the playoffs. He could be a defensive monster for them; he is (was?) athletic as fuck.
If I was in charge of the Heat, I would definitely go after Oden. Then I would severely limit his minutes for most of the season to coax him into the playoffs. He could be a defensive monster for them; he is (was?) athletic as fuck.
I've read that the Heat's number one target at center is going to be Dalembert
I've read that the Heat's number one target at center is going to be Dalembert
That has been the general consensus since mid-season last year from the DDL/Heat Index crowd. Pat Riley usually has a trick or two up his sleeve though.
Heat will probably have to cut Miller to have a shot at Dalembert.I guess it's not "cut" him, but rather "amnesty" him. That's not a verb. One interesting aspect of this amnesty clause (basically you can cut a player and it goes off your books for salary cap purposes even though you still pay him) is that it is good for the duration of the CBA. You only get to use it once, but you don't have to use it this off-season.
One interesting aspect of this amnesty clause (basically you can cut a player and it goes off your books for salary cap purposes even though you still pay him) is that it is good for the duration of the CBA. You only get to use it once, but you don't have to use it this off-season.
yes but doesnt it have to be used on a contract already in existence? so effectively you only have three or four years.
yes but doesnt it have to be used on a contract already in existence? so effectively you only have three or four years.
Yeah, but still...Some players are vastly overpaid, but still contribute something on the court. A contending team might be willing to eat that salary now (since they still have to pay it regardless) if they think he helps them win. It's not like there are a lot of hot free agents this off-season. Why not wait until next off-season when some real players are available, so you can open up some space for them?Another interesting wrinkle, is that if an amnesty player signs with another team, he still gets paid by his old team. So a $20m player signs for $5m, he gets $5 from his new team and $15 from his old team. If there are good players getting amnestied, they are going to be much more willing to sign with a contender at a steeply discounted price since they're getting their money anyway.
Yeah, but still...Some players are vastly overpaid, but still contribute something on the court. A contending team might be willing to eat that salary now (since they still have to pay it regardless) if they think he helps them win. It's not like there are a lot of hot free agents this off-season. Why not wait until next off-season when some real players are available, so you can open up some space for them?Another interesting wrinkle, is that if an amnesty player signs with another team, he still gets paid by his old team. So a $20m player signs for $5m, he gets $5 from his new team and $15 from his old team. If there are good players getting amnestied, they are going to be much more willing to sign with a contender at a steeply discounted price since they're getting their money anyway.
true and true. but i'm sure a few GM's will muck it up somehow. the one i keep seeing is baron davis being amnestied by the cavs and heading out west to the lakers. makes sense i guess, they need another old has been guard who cant play defense.

just read a hollinger article (on espn insider so i wont link it) about how unlikely it is that CP3 goes to the knicks. basically the knicks have no assets for a sign and trade, as the hornets wont accept chauncey's expiring and any of the knicks players, and if CP3 were to opt out of his current deal next summer and sign with new york as a free agent, based on a projecteed cap of 58 million, the knicks would only be able to offer around 11 million per year to CP3. whereas by staying with the hornets he would be at 16 or 17. a difference, over the life of the deal, of about 40 million in guarenteed money. which effectively eliminates the knicks from the CP3 sweepstakes. which sucks because i want to see him there. but if he isnt going to knicks, where will he go? because he just cannot want to stay in new orleans. so he will force a trade this year or next summer. the lakers are always an option for any superstar. i've heard the oklahoma city talk, but i dont trade russel westbrook for paul straight up, russ is to young and too good to risk paul's knees. maybe the clippers could make a strong move. that would be great for everyone.

Clippers are on the record that they want Dwight Howard not CP3. Chris Paul is not going to the Knicks and you can blame the Heat and the new labor agreement. Unless, he decides to take way less money (not out of the realm of possibility unless he spends like Antoine Walker).

Clippers are on the record that they want Dwight Howard not CP3. Chris Paul is not going to the Knicks and you can blame the Heat and the new labor agreement. Unless, he decides to take way less money (not out of the realm of possibility unless he spends like Antoine Walker).
oh man, if the clippers got dwight howard that would be something. i'm assuming they wouldnt trade BFG (blake f'n griffin) to get him. howard and BFG together would be almost too much to handle.and i just cannot see CP3 leaving 40 million on the table to play with melo and stat in NYC. that is a huge amount of money.
oh man, if the clippers got dwight howard that would be something. i'm assuming they wouldnt trade BFG (blake f'n griffin) to get him. howard and BFG together would be almost too much to handle.and i just cannot see CP3 leaving 40 million on the table to play with melo and stat in NYC. that is a huge amount of money.
ESPN has the clips saying anyone but Blake is on the table. Obv, any package would revolve around Eric Gordon and DeAndre Jordan. But they'd probably need a third team and they would have to give up multiple 1st round picks (they have Minnesota's for next draft plus their own).
the lakers are always an option for any superstar.
The Lakers have team options on Bynum and Odom next off-season for almost $25m. Bynum has $16.5m and Odom $8.2m. They'd have to not pick up those options to get down to $43m, which would leave them ~$15m to sign Paul (and like five other players to fill out the roster). I think it would have to be some sort of trade, but I don't know what the new rules are regarding trades with over the cap teams.New Jersey will have the cap space and the money and the new Brooklyn arena.The Clippers certainly have the cap space.Portland has $16m in Brandon Roy. They would probably amnesty him if it meant getting Chris Paul.
The Lakers have team options on Bynum and Odom next off-season for almost $25m. Bynum has $16.5m and Odom $8.2m. They'd have to not pick up those options to get down to $43m, which would leave them ~$15m to sign Paul (and like five other players to fill out the roster). I think it would have to be some sort of trade, but I don't know what the new rules are regarding trades with over the cap teams.New Jersey will have the cap space and the money and the new Brooklyn arena.The Clippers certainly have the cap space.Portland has $16m in Brandon Roy. They would probably amnesty him if it meant getting Chris Paul.
yes i was assuming that for paul to go to the lakers he would be traded for bynum and other parts. also, i just looked at the lakers cap figures and i think you are incorrect about them getting down to 43 if they decline the options on bynum and odom. kobe and pau alone will make 46 million in the 2012-2013 season.the word came out the other day that brandon roy was for sure getting amnestied. but i saw some backtracking on that one this morning.
the lakers need to wait until next summer and amnesty ron artest. clear his cap space just in case paul does hit the market. or just avoid the tax.
He has a player option next year. Maybe they can convince him not to pick it up for the sake of World Peace.
the word came out the other day that brandon roy was for sure getting amnestied. but i saw some backtracking on that one this morning.
He's one of those guys who could be a valuable contributor to somebody, but is no longer worth his contract because of his knees. Not sure where he would be a good fit. Chicago could use a shooting guard, but Roy is best when he has the ball in his hands a lot and you don't want to take it away from Rose. But maybe Roy can be a 6th man type and you can limit Rose's minutes. I don't know.Edit:@haralabob Haralabos Voulgarisif clips get either CP3 or Dwight I'll eat my shorts.
Don't think they can afford him. The Kings will pay him more than what the Heat can offer.
Yeah, but he might want to win, he might want to live in Miami (because he is from Haiti and has a place in SoFla already), and he might just not want to be in Sacramento anymore. If it's just about money, then Miami obv has no chance.Also, if you want to understand why small market teams have financial problems, sacramento giving Dalembert more than 5 mill/year is a good start. He's a mid-level exception salary talent at best.
Yeah, but he might want to win, he might want to live in Miami (because he is from Haiti and has a place in SoFla already), and he might just not want to be in Sacramento anymore. If it's just about money, then Miami obv has no chance.Also, if you want to understand why small market teams have financial problems, sacramento giving Dalembert more than 5 mill/year is a good start. He's a mid-level exception salary talent at best.
Small market teams have the problem that they can't lure any good players to their teams and they have to overpay to get the players they can. If you want to build a contender, you have to get lucky in the draft (probably more than once) and make a couple shrewd trades. If OKC and San Antonio are the blueprints, good luck following that.

i was reading something on ESPN about how the new CBA will affect (effect?) each team and there was talk about how if dwight howard is traded before Dec 31 he would be eligible for six month bird rights on an extension with his new team. they were thoerizing that could motivate orlando to trade him very soon as that would increase his value. assuming of course he tells them he wants out. which i think is a foregone conclusion at this point. sweet ass trade rumor on hoops hype is bynum going to milwaukee, bogut to orlando, and howard to the lakers. i'm sure other pieces would be necessary.

Players who are released through the amnesty clause aren't immediately free to sign with any team they want. The first thing that happens is that all teams under the salary cap can submit claims for the player and the highest bidder gets him.If none of those teams claim the player, only then do they become free agents.This makes it less likely that players of any value actually make it onto contending teams like LA, Chicago, and Miami.