Bank Error In My Favor

Heh.I feel like this one you would have gotten away with since it was just a teller error with no record of the erroneous transaction.
canadian money has colours. when they went to the tape it went have been clear what happened
  • Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I called BofA last night and informed them of their error. It took me 25 minutes to tell the bank that I was kindly giving them the money. It appears that the money is now gone from my account. Sigh. It was fun while it lasted.

So, I called BofA last night and informed them of their error. It took me 25 minutes to tell the bank that I was kindly giving them the money. It appears that the money is now gone from my account. Sigh. It was fun while it lasted.
Are they mailing you a calendar?
pussy
pussy
Yes! That's what he should have spent it on!!

I would have waited a week, then called the bank and said "I made a deposit last week, and I believe there was an error, I believe you guys deposited too much money. I lost my reciept, and I don't remember the exact amount that I deposited, I do know it was roughly between '~x' and '~3x' though. Hopefully your records show the correct amount, and we can get this resolved."It gives them a chance to throuroughly check their records. If they have access to the proper amount, you get that amount back, if they don't, they pretty much have to leave the higher estimate in your account, and at least you can rest easy, knowing that they don't actually know how much you really deposited.realistically though, your course of action was probable the best.

So, yesterday I deposited some cash into my Bank of America bank account. It was a somewhat large amount for me (let's call it x, where x > $1000). I did it in person at the teller simply by giving the woman cash, swiping my debit card, and having her deposit it. I had to write in a deposit slip the amount. Usually I just use the ATM machine, but since this was larger than usual, I decided to do it in person. I got a receipt, and I thought I checked the receipt and it said the correct amount. I'm pretty sure I've since thrown away the receipt. I'm also pretty sure she counted the money in an automatic counting machine.Anyway, long story short, I checked my bank account today and I saw that, instead of having x added to my account, I had 10x added to my account. Since x was a lot of money to me, 10x is, well, a great deal of money. Since I deposited in cash, the money is immediately available to me.So, I guess my question is: what's our policy about this again? What's my responsibility, and how quickly do I have to fulfill it? Is there some statute of limitations...?I'm a honest person and I want to do what's right, but if I'm legally allowed to say nothing, I'll happily do that...Thoughts?
The bank will find the error, and you will go to jail if they don't get the $ back. This ain't Monopoly.
The bank will find the error, and you will go to jail if they don't get the $ back. This ain't Monopoly.
Oh, thanks for the heads up.
This is weird, but three times in the past 36 hours, a cashier gave me too much money. I counted it out every time and gave it back to them with a smile. I'm hoping that there will be good karma for it, at some point down the road.
Let's suppose this happened to you. Would you take the money and start a new life for 6 million dollars? Assume that you are able to withdraw the money and leave the country without getting caught. I don't know, but it seems reasonably possible to get a fake identity and launder the money. As for the moral issue, I think it is fairly gray. You aren't stealing from an individual. Society unfairly rewards people all the time. Why shouldn't you be one of those people? Is there any moral difference between a genetic lottery supported through unjust governments and a bank error lottery?
Is there any moral difference between a genetic lottery supported through unjust governments and a bank error lottery?
Yes, absolutely, there is. A lot (most?) Western morality an be traced back to precepts of consequentialism, whereas "the genetic lottery" is a function of chance, outside our control or influence. Awful analogy. With that said, if the bank gave me a free twenty grand, I'd take it and tell them to piss off not because of any moral footing inherent to said position, but because fuck it, I want the money, don't care about the well being of banks and don't fear the consequences for doing that. After the first felony, there is a kind of liberation that hopefully, none of you will ever come to understand.
Yes, absolutely, there is. A lot (most?) Western morality an be traced back to precepts of consequentialism, whereas "the genetic lottery" is a function of chance, outside our control or influence. Awful analogy.
I don't think you explained why the analogy doesn't work. Obviously the bank error lottery is also completely a function of chance. There really doesn't seem to be much of a difference other than one is socially acceptable to benefit from and the other not. That they occur at different points in life shouldn't matter at all. Why is it acceptable for people to steal from others through a wildly unjust distribution of resources, but unacceptable for someone to benefit from a banks' random distribution? The answer of course is that in an ideal society neither should be acceptable, but that is not what most people believe. I am curious to see if they can come up with any convincing explanation for their beliefs. A moral society has to have a rational basis for their laws. The rational basis should be that society treats people justly. If they do, then that society has a moral claim on its citizens. If they do not then that claim is revoked and things become simply an amoral/immoral power struggle. No one expects you to act morally towards someone who has acted immorally towards you. At least a proportionate response is universally justified(despite the "turn the other cheek" bible verses that Christians completely ignore). So why should your response be any different to society than that of an individual? The practical reason is probably that people instinctively realize how many people are getting screwed over and don't want to give them any encouragement to correct the injustices that they themselves might benefit from. But that is not a moral reason.
Let's suppose this happened to you. Would you take the money and start a new life for 6 million dollars? Assume that you are able to withdraw the money and leave the country without getting caught. I don't know, but it seems reasonably possible to get a fake identity and launder the money. As for the moral issue, I think it is fairly gray. You aren't stealing from an individual. Society unfairly rewards people all the time. Why shouldn't you be one of those people? Is there any moral difference between a genetic lottery supported through unjust governments and a bank error lottery?
You make Stalin look like Rush Limbaugh.
You guys really are pathetic. Would it kill you to try to answer a question rationally for once in your life?
Actually it would probably devastating for him to accept rationality. Do you really want to be responsible for what happens when his entire worldview starts to crumble around him, leaving not a shred of solid psychological ground for him to stand on? That said, your posts in this thread have been quite ridiculous and probably don't deserve a serious response. You're not even really making a coherent point. I should probably just wait until Spademan shows up and tears you a new one, but what the heck, let's look back at your original abomination of a post:
As for the moral issue, I think it is fairly gray. You aren't stealing from an individual. Society unfairly rewards people all the time. Why shouldn't you be one of those people?
First, stealing from a group of individuals is not morally superior to stealing from a single individual. The second part of this is really bizarre: you seem to be trying to justify taking the money by saying other unfair things happen. Well if this is like those other things, which in your description are unfair, isn't this also unfair? An immoral act does not become moral in the presence of other immoral acts.
Is there any moral difference between a genetic lottery supported through unjust governments and a bank error lottery?
What? A "genetic lottery supported through unjust governments"? What are you even talking about?
Obviously the bank error lottery is also completely a function of chance. There really doesn't seem to be much of a difference other than one is socially acceptable and the other not. That they occur at different points in life shouldn't matter at all.
The bank error is not the moral act in question. Returning or keeping the money is the choice. Choices are the only things that are subject to moral evaluation. What choice is it exactly that you think is equivalent to keeping the money that the bank error gave you, keeping money that your rich parents gave you? You think the moral choice in that case is to return the money to your parents? You're totally confusing some idea of "fairness" with morality.
Why is it acceptable for people to steal from others through a wildly unjust distribution of resources
How do people steal from others "though unjust distribution of resources"? What kind of stealing do you think people find acceptable?
Society has to have a rational basis for their laws. The rational basis is that society treats people justly. If they do, then that society has a moral claim on its citizens. If they do not then that claim is revoked and things become simply an amoral/immoral power struggle. No one expects you to act morally towards someone who has acted immorally towards you. At least a proportionate response is universally justified(despite the "turn the other cheek" bible verses that Christians completely ignore). So why should your response be any different to society than that of an individual?
This is really complete gibberish. But it seems that you are now saying that stealing from a bank is OK, because society has wronged you somehow by making you poor. Wonderful.
1.First, stealing from a group of individuals is not morally superior to stealing from a single individual. 2.The second part of this is really bizarre: you seem to be trying to justify taking the money by saying other unfair things happen. Well if this is like those other things, which in your description are unfair, isn't this also unfair? An immoral act does not become moral in the presence of other immoral acts. 3.What? A "genetic lottery supported through unjust governments"? What are you even talking about? 4.The bank error is not the moral act in question. Returning or keeping the money is the choice. Choices are the only things that are subject to moral evaluation. What choice is it exactly that you think is equivalent to keeping the money that the bank error gave you, keeping money that your rich parents gave you? You think the moral choice in that case is to return the money to your parents? You're totally confusing some idea of "fairness" with morality. 5.How do people steal from others "though unjust distribution of resources"? What kind of stealing do you think people find acceptable? 6.This is really complete gibberish. But it seems that you are now saying that stealing from a bank is OK, because society has wronged you somehow by making you poor. Wonderful.
This probably isn't going to be a productive discussion- ethical issues tend to make political discussions seem positively rational. But just for fun I'll try to answer your questions. 1.I wouldn't use the term morally superior, but on a practical level it is less bad since it tends to be much less damaging. 2.Well an immoral(negative?) act can potentially be moral if you are trying to correct the first immoral act. I already said that both acts were immoral. But the real point of my argument is that I want someone to give me a reason why most people accept one act but not the other. As for the grey area, if you live in a society where theft is legal can that society really expect you not to steal from it? If you believe that moral codes are set by society then I think the answer is no. If you believe in another code then the answer might be different. 3.I'm talking about the fact that our society supports wildly unfair distributions of wealth at birth or inheritance. Those people did nothing to earn that money just like you did nothing to earn the bank error. Why is one stealing and the other not? 4.The moral choice would be to return it to those who were hurt by the unfair distribution, not your parents. Any morality that can ignore fairness is not a true morality. 5.Any time you take something you didn't earn you are in effect stealing. People who are born wealthy/inherit wealth later are taking far more than their fair share of resources and did not earn them. In an ideal society everyone would be born with an equal opportunity which includes a fair initial share of resources. In that society "all men are created equal" would be more than just a sick joke. In practice it is impossible to actually create a fair system but we should at least make an attempt to correct the worst extremes. I realize this might sound weird since our society is based on supporting injustice. 6.No. I am saying it is not ok. But under our current system there isn't a good reason not to steal from the bank. The solution is to fix society, not encourage stealing from banks.
TIL that if things are unfair they are gray.
TIL that 'TIL' stands for 'Today I Learned.'
see, this is why it just infuriates me when people make a thread or a post or something, or even in real life when people ask what something means or stands for or whatever... I read TIL, immediately highlighted, right clicked, googled, and learned the answer to what it stood for BEFORE I EVEN MADE IT TO THE NEXT POST. that's how easy it was! I mean, google is right there people, jesus christ.also, ouch: come on man, don't do that
I think silent snow just turned VB into a conservative.
haha