How's This For Polite

There are probably too many shades of gray in this one to come up with any sort of reasonable answer. I feel like you'd just have to take it one question at a time. Kill one to save a million? Definitely yes. Kill one to save two? Almost definitely no. There's a lot in between that would be tough calls.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are probably too many shades of gray in this one to come up with any sort of reasonable answer. I feel like you'd just have to take it one question at a time. Kill one to save a million? Definitely yes. Kill one to save two? Almost definitely no. There's a lot in between that would be tough calls.
What would you do if you woke up tomorrow morning and discovered you had the ability to cure anyone of any disease, illness, or really any malignant medical condition simply by touching them? Alright, let's throw some disclaimers in here. You cure that person of whatever ails them, but it's not preventative. It's more like a reset button, you start over clean. If someone has a cold and you touch them, they don't have the cold anymore, but it doesn't mean they'll never have another cold the rest of their life.There's no thinking involved with your cure. If you accidentally brush up against someone, that person will be healed. So...what do you do?
What would you do if you woke up tomorrow morning and discovered you had the ability to cure anyone of any disease, illness, or really any malignant medical condition simply by touching them? Alright, let's throw some disclaimers in here. You cure that person of whatever ails them, but it's not preventative. It's more like a reset button, you start over clean. If someone has a cold and you touch them, they don't have the cold anymore, but it doesn't mean they'll never have another cold the rest of their life.There's no thinking involved with your cure. If you accidentally brush up against someone, that person will be healed. So...what do you do?
i'm pretty sure there are some very good looking women hidden under a whole lot of leprosy that would be ridiculously grateful for that touch.

So anyway, my first thought was that you want to be able to reach as many people as possible, right? Do you set up shop somewhere and have the people come to you, like Field of Dreams x1,000? But then you're screwing the poor people. Do you travel the world like a concert tour? How does all this get paid for? Donations? Do you go to the government and say, "Hey, you know that health care budget of yours? I'll take 15%." But then the cynical side of me kicked in and I realized that there probably isn't an organization in the world that wouldn't kill for this power. What would your government actually do if you went to them with this ability? If the media doesn't know about you and there isn't substantiated proof, I'm guessing the government is locking you up, doing experiments, etc., and your rights are out the window. If you are already some sort of worldwide sensation when you go to the government, they probably have to put up some sort of facade, but what will their enemies do? So let's say that you don't want to be famous for this. What's the best way to reach the most people without arousing suspicion? Do you become a hospital chaplain so you can hang around the dying? Work for a children's hospital maybe? But you probably can't stay there long because at some point people are going to notice that everybody is ok after you've seen them. So you need to travel a lot and each time you need to change your name and get rid of your history. Alright, let's go back to the famous scenario. Let's say the government has provided you an elaborate security detail and made you the wealthiest man in the world, so you can go on these world healing tours. You can't ever stop, right? The first time you take a week off to relax and X,000 people die that you could've saved is probably going to create some guilt. Ok, so you're going on non-stop worldwide healing tours, saving millions, religions are founded as you as their god...there's going to be a lot of unintended consequences. What happens when millions of people aren't dying anymore? How soon does overpopulation become an even greater burden?I think I spend a lot of time thinking about stuff that doesn't matter.

see you're starting with the assumption here that we would actually want to heal people.me, I'd fly to england real quick, secretly touch stephen hawking real quick somehow, fly back, and never think about it again. other than knowing I can bang whatever disgusting broad I wanted without any worries (except for kids of course, but fuck it right?!)

Whatever CaneBrain! You don't know what he was seeing. That kid might have been within 60 feet of him, and Spade the security guard knew that was an IMMINENT threat. **** that kid.
He'd probably do the same thing he does anyway: touch himself repeatedly.
Heh.
So anyway, my first thought was that you want to be able to reach as many people as possible, right? Do you set up shop somewhere and have the people come to you, like Field of Dreams x1,000? But then you're screwing the poor people. Do you travel the world like a concert tour? How does all this get paid for? Donations? Do you go to the government and say, "Hey, you know that health care budget of yours? I'll take 15%." But then the cynical side of me kicked in and I realized that there probably isn't an organization in the world that wouldn't kill for this power. What would your government actually do if you went to them with this ability? If the media doesn't know about you and there isn't substantiated proof, I'm guessing the government is locking you up, doing experiments, etc., and your rights are out the window. If you are already some sort of worldwide sensation when you go to the government, they probably have to put up some sort of facade, but what will their enemies do? So let's say that you don't want to be famous for this. What's the best way to reach the most people without arousing suspicion? Do you become a hospital chaplain so you can hang around the dying? Work for a children's hospital maybe? But you probably can't stay there long because at some point people are going to notice that everybody is ok after you've seen them. So you need to travel a lot and each time you need to change your name and get rid of your history. Alright, let's go back to the famous scenario. Let's say the government has provided you an elaborate security detail and made you the wealthiest man in the world, so you can go on these world healing tours. You can't ever stop, right? The first time you take a week off to relax and X,000 people die that you could've saved is probably going to create some guilt. Ok, so you're going on non-stop worldwide healing tours, saving millions, religions are founded as you as their god...there's going to be a lot of unintended consequences. What happens when millions of people aren't dying anymore? How soon does overpopulation become an even greater burden?I think I spend a lot of time thinking about stuff that doesn't matter.
This is a really interesting one...I might have to think about it a bit. On first glance, I think I'd go with the anonymous option, going through cancer wards, etc. There would just be too many consequences arising from people knowing that such a power exists. I've considered what I'd do with many different "superpowers", and almost always decide that I don't trust our current society to be able to deal with something like that. For instance, I do think it's a possibility that we have the potential for some form of ESP or telekinesis, etc. But if I figured out how to harness those powers, there's no way I'd share it with more than a few close, trusted friends. Too much potential for people using those powers for, you know, evil, or whatever.
I know where that place is. We've stayed in La Fortuna a couple of times. Why wasn't it justified? Kids were out past curfew in a foreign country, ignoring their chaperons rules. Even though Costa Rica is relatively safe, the area can be dangerous. It was 4AM. This place isn't a resort. The field/woods was likely unlit and isolated. There have been some instances of home invasions and hotel robberies where the attackers were pretty ruthless in treatment of the victims. If a single security guard is overpowered by multiple attackers, he's dead or at least in very serious trouble. The kids ran at the Security guard after being told to stop AND a hearing a warning shot. More evidence that warning shots don't work. Biggest thing against the Guard is he wasn't licensed to carry a weapon and he is from Nicaragua. Costa Rica is having some issues with their Neighbors from the North. Field trips to foreign countries can be dangerous. You need to pay attention and follow the rules. If he follows the rules then he's still alive.
The kids ran at the Security guard after being told to stop AND a hearing a warning shot.
that link take you to a different article than it did me?
that link take you to a different article than it did me?
I seriously hope so. Otherwise that creation of facts out of thin air would be bordering on frightening.