How's This For Polite

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and I've always said: "An Armed Society is a Polite Society"
If he had held the door open and pointed a gun at the guy, I bet he would have got a thank you.
What a douche. The jury, if they ever catch him, better find that justifiable.
Asking a guy twice to thank him for holding the door open is douchey.Not thanking the guy in the first place is kind of douchey.Shooting the guy for questioning his manners is psychotic.
Not thanking the guy in the first place is kind of douchey.
No, you don't speak to another man in the bathroom unless its a life or death situation.edit: maybe I misread and he was holding the door the store open.Even so, holding the door open for someone can be douchey too, depending on how far behind you they are.
Even so, holding the door open for someone can be douchey too, depending on how far behind you they are.
I thought it was the store door.I totally agree with this. If someone is holding the door open for me, but I'm not within arm's length of the door, I have to do that little hop-skip to get to the door faster. I don't wait to hold doors open for other guys unless they're at a point where if I let it go it's going to close right onto them. The length of time I will hold a door open for a woman is entirely dependent on how attractive she is.I pretty much thank people for everything they do, no matter how insignificant. I'd say it's more of a nervous tic than actual politeness. I don't really like interacting with people.

people who refuse to thank others for kind gestures are absolute pieces of shit and deserve to die. would leave a lot more room to fan out to for those of us east of the mississippi and south of the mason dixon.

Asking a guy twice to thank him for holding the door open is douchey.Not thanking the guy in the first place is kind of douchey.Shooting the guy for questioning his manners is psychotic.
Actually, in his own words he didn't ask, he "told" the guy to thank him.I'm certain this wasn't along the lines of: "Oh, pardon me my dear sir, would you mind showing a little courtesy and extend a 'thank you' in my direction?"I'm guessing it went like this:Douche holds door open and Psycho walks past without acknowledging Douche.Douche still holding door and staring at Psycho in an intimidating manner: "Would it hurt to say 'thank you'?" Psycho: Ignores DoucheDouche: "Nobody ever teach you any manners...?"Psycho: Ignores DoucheDouche can't let it go and escalates situation by heading out of store to confront Psycho: "Hey! I'm talking to you ass hole. Didn't anyone ever teach you any manners? From where I'm from people say 'thank you'. Tell me 'thank you'"Psycho still ignoring Douche, puts stuff into car as Douche advances. Psycho decides that Douche is advancing in a threatening manner and shoots him.Psycho: "You're welcome"Clearly this is speculation on my part and subject to my own biases.I think it is safe to say that a Guy belligerently escalated a situation that didn't need to be escalated and decided he was going to intimidate some random at a Gas Station into being "Polite".It should be noted that Georgia is a "Stand Your Ground - Castle Doctrine" State. If he feels threatened, Psycho has no duty to retreat from a confrontation before defending himself or his property - no matter where the confrontation takes place. He doesn't have to be in his home. Also you do not need to be near death to defend yourself. Douche wants to make us believe he was just innocently minding his own business, when he was doing exactly the opposite - getting into someone else's business and escalating a situation. The Psycho was the one minding his own business. He went to the Gas Station to get a few things and next thing he knows some Douche is following him to his car to teach him some manners.It would be pretty harsh to say that the guy got what he deserved......but he sort of got what he deserved.And of course the Media try to turn the entire family int Victims. The children are traumatized because they "have to watch" the wife change the guys bandages.
people who refuse to thank others for kind gestures are absolute pieces of shit and deserve to die. would leave a lot more room to fan out to for those of us east of the mississippi and south of the mason dixon.
You have got to be fuckin kidding me. I lived in Atlanta for 2 1/2 years and people in Georgia were downright assholes. Don't buy the hype. People in the south are no friendlier than anywhere else. Far from it. Just because they still have debutante balls and like to where hats that they can take off when they get indoors does not make them friendlier.
I think it is safe to say that a Guy belligerently escalated a situation that didn't need to be escalated and decided he was going to intimidate some random at a Gas Station into being "Polite".
Oh.
It would be pretty harsh to say that the guy got what he deserved......but he sort of got what he deserved.
Really? REALLY???
You have got to be fuckin kidding me. I lived in Atlanta for 2 1/2 years and people in Georgia were downright assholes. Don't buy the hype. People in the south are no friendlier than anywhere else. Far from it. Just because they still have debutante balls and like to where hats that they can take off when they get indoors does not make them friendlier.
well we're not nice to yankee assholes, no, but to regular decent people, we're much more courteous than the rest of the country. seems like the rest of the comments seem to support my hypothesis as well with people calling him an instigator and saying he got what he deserved.
Oh.
You don't think the guys actions were belligerent? You wouldn't agree that some guy following you out of a Gas Station to your car and telling you to thank him is an act of intimidation and threatening? If someone is within 15 feet of you they pose am imminent physical threat. They can close that distance in less time that you might be able to use your weapon. Psycho could argue that he felt threatened by Douche and made the decision to protect himself and his property.
Really? REALLY???
Douche chose to escalate a situation. He could have just shaken his head, muttered "some people have no manners", and went into the store and on with his life. Instead he decided to take a stand in the name of politeness and follow a guy to his car demanding to be treated with respect.What if Psycho didn't have a weapon, do you see any way this doesn't escalate into a physical confrontation if Psycho doesn't ultimately utter the magic words?I'd love to learn that the Psycho was a deaf mute, but I'm guessing he was just a psycho with a gun. But even if it is just a Psycho with a Gun, the scenario was a result of the Douche's actions and decision-making. The Psycho was minding his own business and was apparently trying to ignore the Douche who wouldn't be denied.
You don't think the guys actions were belligerent? You wouldn't agree that some guy following you out of a Gas Station to your car and telling you to thank him is an act of intimidation and threatening? If someone is within 15 feet of you they pose am imminent physical threat. They can close that distance in less time that you might be able to use your weapon. Psycho could argue that he felt threatened by Douche and made the decision to protect himself and his property.Douche chose to escalate a situation. He could have just shaken his head, muttered "some people have no manners", and went into the store and on with his life. Instead he decided to take a stand in the name of politeness and follow a guy to his car demanding to be treated with respect.What if Psycho didn't have a weapon, do you see any way this doesn't escalate into a physical confrontation if Psycho doesn't ultimately utter the magic words?I'd love to learn that the Psycho was a deaf mute, but I'm guessing he was just a psycho with a gun. But even if it is just a Psycho with a Gun, the scenario was a result of the Douche's actions and decision-making. The Psycho was minding his own business and was apparently trying to ignore the Douche who wouldn't be denied.
lol, I'm having flashbacks to the "should I bring a gun to a homegame" thread.SJ, don't bother engaging pot odds on this. He will always take the side of whoever did the shooting. The gun owner will always be the virtuous one...he's just defending himself from intimidating lectures on manners.If psycho had punched the guy in the face, you'd be right pot odds. But, he didn't. He shot the guy. You have tried very hard to paint a scenario where this was reasonable but you have failed miserably.
lol, I'm having flashbacks to the "should I bring a gun to a homegame" thread.SJ, don't bother engaging pot odds on this. He will always take the side of whoever did the shooting.If psycho had punched the guy in the face, you'd be right pot odds. But, he didn't. He shot the guy. You have tried very hard to paint a scenario where this was reasonable but you have failed miserably.
I didn't think it was all that miserable.
I didn't think it was all that miserable.
it completely falls apart when you note that the manners douche could have just muttered and walked away but seem to gloss over the fact that the psycho also had many SANE options beyond shooting the guy. He could have muttered and driven off, yelled back, punched the guy.....all of those would have been acceptable. You can't shoot people for being douchey. Los Angeles would be a ghost town.
I thought it was the store door.
no, i'm pretty sure vb read the subtext correctly. he was holding the bathroom stall door open for the guy, and when the guy went in & didn't say thank you, well, our do-gooder followed him in to the stall to demand one. after that it pretty much had to be an in-your-face encounter.

Clearly the most amazing part of that article is the end, in which the shootee is still scolding the shooter for a lack of manners. "Do the right thing." Delightful.

You can't shoot people for being douchey. Los Angeles would be a ghost town.
The douche was admittedly following the guy out to his car. And that's even in his own, one-sided recounting of the story.It wasn't just being douchey, it was turning around from going into a store, and following a dude out to his car while berating him. That's clearly an aggressive act.I'm not condoning the shooting, necessarily, as I don't have the details.But it's not as easy as, "just mutter and drive away." 15 feet is pretty fucking close.
The douche was admittedly following the guy out to his car. And that's even in his own, one-sided recounting of the story.It wasn't just being douchey, it was turning around from going into a store, and following a dude out to his car while berating him. That's clearly an aggressive act.I'm not condoning the shooting, necessarily, as I don't have the details.But it's not as easy as, "just mutter and drive away." 15 feet is pretty fucking close.
well, it could have been 16 feet...

If he really wanted to protect himself, I'm sure pointing his gun and saying "leave me alone or I'll fucking shoot you in the stomach", would probably have sufficed. Its going to be tough to convince me that the shooting was necessary, or justified.

If he really wanted to protect himself, I'm sure pointing his gun and saying "leave me alone or I'll fucking shoot you in the stomach", would probably have sufficed. Its going to be tough to convince me that the shooting was necessary, or justified.
Again, I'm not condoning the shooting, but you don't seem to know how real life works.I can cross 15 feet and have a knife in you before "leave me al-" is out of your mouth.