Fine, I'll be the first to admit that I watch Roadhouse every time they show it on Spike TV or TNT. Pain don't hurt. I would never claim to feel bad about enjoying Face/Off...it's a fantastic terrible movie.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, wow. Those were all the same year?Best year of movies ever? Has to be, right?
Yes. And the best part was that was the year David Letterman hosted the Oscars. It was magical. **** all the critics that said he sucked. He was incredibly funny. He basically just did his show during the ceremony and it was hilarious that all the high paid hookers had to just sit there and take it.
Oh, wow. Those were all the same year?Best year of movies ever? Has to be, right?
I bet BigD would say 1999...
I wasn't kidding about 1999 btw.. check out this list..No order, except John malk number 11) Being John Malkovitch2)Fight club3) American beauty4) The matrix5) run lola run6) magnolia7) bringing out the dead8) 3 kings9) the sixth sense10) blair witch11) the summer of sam12) eyes wide shut13) red violin14) Cruel intentions ( i'm a sucker for this film)15) Dogma16) boys don't cry 17) Election18) Ghost dog19) Girl interrupted20) toy story 2(also green mile, the insider, the straight story, drop dead gorgeous and some others)They don't make years like that any more. I remember in 1999, I saw so many movies, and each one I loved, just movie after movie.. I thought we were going into a movie Renaissance where indy sensibilities were going to be incorporated by the studios. Oh, silly mie.
Other movies from 2004 1994:ClerksDumb and DumberEd WoodFour Weddings and a FuneralHoop DreamsThe Hudsucker ProxyThe Last SeductionThe Lion KingLéonNatural Born KillersQuiz ShowSpeedTrue Liesand probably at least a couple others.Edit: Goddammit, it took me too long to post all that.
Other movies from 2004:ClerksDumb and DumberEd WoodFour Weddings and a FuneralHoop DreamsThe Hudsucker ProxyThe Last SeductionThe Lion KingLéonNatural Born KillersQuiz ShowSpeedTrue Liesand probably at least a couple others.
Shave a decade.
2007 was pretty redonk as well.
Zodiac300GrindhouseHot FuzzKnocked UpRatatouilleSunshineThe Bourne UltimatumSuperbad 3:10 to YumaEastern PromisesIn the Valley of ElahInto the WildMichael ClaytonGone Baby GoneAmerican GangsterNo Country For Old MenJunoAtonementCharlie Wilson's WarThere Will Be Blood
Oh, wow. Those were all the same year?Best year of movies ever? Has to be, right?[/quoteTwo of my top 5 in the same year. I never realized that. And no......FG is not one of them.

If I had to rank just those three years, 1994 would just barely edge out 2007 at the wire, and 1999 would have been left in the dust. However, 1999 is still probably 3rd or 4th place for me if we throw in all the other years. 1999 was very solid.

If I had to rank just those three years, 1994 would just barely edge out 2007 at the wire, and 1999 would have been left in the dust. However, 1999 is still probably 3rd or 4th place for me if we throw in all the other years. 1999 was very solid.
I think there was a really good run of movies from 2007 - 2010, which is what made 2011 look so weak.

I think the only one I can put on there is garden state. that's kind of embarrassing right? maybe days of thunder? but I'm from the south so that should be expected and therefore not embarrassing. I don't know, most all the movies I love and watch repeatedly are considered at least decent movies. maybe shooter. that's kind of bad/good right?

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (DJ Vu @ Wednesday, April 4th, 2012, 10:41 AM)Oh yeah. I really wish the other chick was more attractive because that kissing scene.I agree with this.Speaking of backlash, I think Forrest Gump is over-criticized because it beat out Pulp Fiction and Shawshank. Yes, I think those movies are clearly better, but I think FG is still a good movie.Oh, wow. Those were all the same year?Best year of movies ever? Has to be, right?
yeah, 1994 has Pulp Fiction, Shawshank, Forrest Gump, and the Lion King. Objectively, I think Pulp Fiction and Shawshank have to be considered two of the best films of all time (I think an 'objective top 3' (if there can be such a thing) would include those two along with the Godfather).1994 has to be the no. 1 year imo. 1999 was good too, but with Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption, there's no question for me.
Objectively, I think Pulp Fiction and Shawshank have to be considered two of the best films of all time (I think an 'objective top 3' (if there can be such a thing) would include those two along with the Godfather).
I don't think objective means what you think it means.
  • 1 month later...
That you think Pulp Fiction and Shawshank are two of the greatest movies of all time is the opposite of objective. IE it's a completely subjective opinion.
OK, let me rephrase. If I was writing an article for a magazine aimed at the masses, and had to pick the top three movies of all time, I would pick Pulp Fiction, Shawshank, and The Godfather. So they would be what I'd the consider the 3 greatest movies of all time. My 3 favourite movies of all time would differ however.Basically, I think there's a difference between the question "what are you 3 favourite movies?" and "what do you think are the 3 greatest movies ever made?". The first question is asking your totally subjective opinion, whereas the second question is asking you to judge it a bit more objectively.

yeah, but I would argue that your idea of what a great movie is, is completely subjective. While I like shawshank, it probably wouldn't be in my top 50 greatest movies of all time.