As much as I want to consider myself a "film guy," my list betrays me.
I'm the furthest thing from a film guy, you're in good my company.
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to the "Suggestions For You" tab. Click "What You've Rated." Sort by rating. (Edit: I guess that only works if you rate your movies. You do rate your movies, don't you?)I've rated over 2,000 movies.
no no no. Click on "Your Account & Help" in the top right. Then click on "See all DVD shipping activity" or "See all instant watching activity " in the middle of the page.

Favorite WWII MoviesHere are some of my favs:Run Silent, Run DeepSaving Private Ryan (natch)A Foreign Affair (timeline is after WWII, but it's all about the fallout...another Wilder film)The Battle of BritainA Bridge Too FarGuns of NavaroneThe CounterfeitersSchindler's ListLongest DayGreat EscapeThe TrainBattle of the BulgeVon Ryan's ExpressThe Dirty Dozen/The Devil's BrigadeTora Tora Tora/MidwayDas BootThe ReaderAnd the list goes on and on...Special Mention:Band of Brothers, for being so fckn awesomeThe Pacific, for beingpretty damn goodBut...movies that should be taken out back and shot from this genre:1941 - What?!?! Spielberg made a stinker? It's true...Pearl Harbour - Horrible, just horrible

3:10 to YumaApollo 13Batman BeginsBlack Hawk DownBraveheartCasablancaChicagoFantastic Mr. FoxField of DreamsFinding NemoGladiatorGloryGood Will HuntingHoosiersIn BrugesInceptionIndiana Jones and the Last CrusadeInglourious BasterdsJawsJurassic ParkKill BillLord of the RingsLove ActuallyMonty Python and the Holy GrailNo Country for Old MenOcean's ElevenOffice SpacePulp FictionRaiders of the Lost ArkRoundersSaving Private RyanSnatchStar Wars (original trilogy)Superman IIThe Big LebowskiThe Dark KnightThe DepartedThe GodfatherThe Godfather: Part IIThe Green MileThe Hurt LockerThe Karate KidThe MatrixThe NaturalThe Nightmare Before ChristmasThe Shawshank RedemptionTombstoneToy Story 3UpWALL-E
I haven't seen these.
no no no. Click on "Your Account & Help" in the top right. Then click on "See all DVD shipping activity" or "See all instant watching activity " in the middle of the page.
That's only good if he doesn't rate every movie he watches. My way gives him all his favorite movies grouped together.
I haven't seen these.
There's no excuse for not seeing Casablanca.
3:10 to YumaFinding NemoInglourious BasterdsNo Country for Old MenOffice SpaceThe Departed
these would be in my top 50, along with several others from your list that were in my posted top 20.
love, actually
this, along with "about a boy" are my two 'guilty pleasure' chick flicks that I watch more often than I would admit it to most people.
As much as I want to consider myself a "film guy," my list betrays me.
I think you can be a 'film guy' and be very passionate about movies, without being a 'film snob'.note: I used far too many apostrophes in this post.
oh snap! looking forward to going home and trying this. the only time I ever really rate movies is if I really liked them, so I give them a 5, which I guess wouldn't be much help. also, did I put 500 days of summer on my list? if I didn't, just know that I really wanted to.
oh snap! looking forward to going home and trying this. the only time I ever really rate movies is if I really liked them, so I give them a 5, which I guess wouldn't be much help.
>:[Do other people here with Netflix not rate your movies? I go to Netflix to rate movies I've seen in the theater. But I'm thinking about creating an Access database (or, more likely, a spreadsheet) of every movie I've seen.

2001: A Space OdysseyA Clockwork OrangeAdaptationAlienAmelieApocalypse NowBeing John MalkovichBlade RunnerBlazing SaddlesBoogie NightsBrazilBreathlessChildren of MenChinatownCity of GodDr. StrangeloveEternal Sunshine of the Spotless MindFargoFull Metal JacketGoodfellasGroundhog DayInglorious BasterdsJawsKill BillMagnoliaMementoMiller's CrossingNo Country for Old MenNorth by NorthwestOffice SpaceOldboyOnce Upon a Time in the WestOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's NestPulp FictionRaging BullRequiem for a DreamReservoir DogsSeven SamuraiSpirited AwayTaxi DriverThe Big LebowskiThe GodfatherThe Godfather, Pt. 2The GraduateThe Lives of OthersThe Seventh SealThe Third ManThere Will Be BloodUpWall-E

That's only good if he doesn't rate every movie he watches. My way gives him all his favorite movies grouped together.
You need to remember something. You're weird.
There's no excuse for not seeing Casablanca.
You might be right.
>:[Do other people here with Netflix not rate your movies? I go to Netflix to rate movies I've seen in the theater. But I'm thinking about creating an Access database (or, more likely, a spreadsheet) of every movie I've seen.
I rarely rate my movies. At least compared to you. I probably rate 30% of the movies I watch on Netflix, and I would never go out of my way to rate a movie I didn't see on Netflix.I just checked, and I don't have a rating for Braveheart. (I just fixed that though)
EDIT: I missed Pulp Fiction on Steve's list. However by finding this out, I realized Steve did not have a full 50. PLEASE UPDATE TO 50 STEVE?
Well I recounted and it looks like I have 48 but I was counting each Star Wars, DieHard, and Indiana Jones separately because I did not include all of them.I will have to rework it at some point.
Favorite WWII MoviesHere are some of my favs:Run Silent, Run DeepSaving Private Ryan (natch)A Foreign Affair (timeline is after WWII, but it's all about the fallout...another Wilder film)The Battle of BritainA Bridge Too FarGuns of NavaroneThe CounterfeitersSchindler's ListLongest DayGreat EscapeThe TrainBattle of the BulgeVon Ryan's ExpressThe Dirty Dozen/The Devil's BrigadeTora Tora Tora/MidwayDas BootThe ReaderAnd the list goes on and on...Special Mention:Band of Brothers, for being so fckn awesomeThe Pacific, for beingpretty damn goodBut...movies that should be taken out back and shot from this genre:1941 - What?!?! Spielberg made a stinker? It's true...Pearl Harbour - Horrible, just horrible
Have you seen Enemy at the Gates? Would be on my war list for sure, one of the best sniper movies ever made based in WWII.
Have you seen Enemy at the Gates? Would be on my war list for sure, one of the best sniper movies ever made based in WWII.
Haven't seen that one. Isn't that Jude Law and...someone...? Thx for the recommendation!On a side note, submarine movies are a sub-genre unto themselvesCrimson TideHunt for Red OctoberGrey Lady Down...lots more...
That's one of those movies that I'll never not watch if it's on TV.
It always struck me as rather selfish (but amusingly inconvenient for sailors trying to do a job) that Denzel goes jogging so everyone has to gtfo of the way...
Yeah. Except I think the difference is that all those films that you hate, I have as 4 out of 5 star movies. Like Punch Drunk Love.
I good and truly do despise that movie.
Haven't seen that one. Isn't that Jude Law and...someone...? Thx for the recommendation!
You won't want to see it. Like in all of her movies, Rachel Weisz gets naked. GROSS!
You won't want to see it. Like in all of her movies, Rachel Weisz gets naked. GROSS!
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!Yaaaayyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haven't seen that one. Isn't that Jude Law and...someone...? Thx for the recommendation!On a side note, submarine movies are a sub-genre unto themselvesCrimson TideHunt for Red OctoberGrey Lady Down...lots more...
Something about Sub movies that do it for me big time:In order of their awesomenessHunt for Red OctoberDas BootU-571The HunleyCrimson TideCouple of comedies that were pretty decent:Mr. RobertsDown Periscope
Favorite WWII MoviesHere are some of my favs:Pearl Harbour - Horrible, just horrible
If you haven't seen it, I recommend Sorrow & the Pity. Yeah, it's a six hour documentary--it was filmed in Vichy France in the 1950s. It's got lots of collaborators and the fall out of their choices. Really really fantastic.
2001: A Space OdysseyRequiem for a Dream
I thought it was strong and visceral, but I didn't find myself wanting to rewatch it. Must have been the pegging scene.
I thought it was strong and visceral, but I didn't find myself wanting to rewatch it. Must have been the pegging scene.
wait, which movie are you talking about? cause either I am forgetting a LOT about requiem for a dream or 2001 is a WHOLE lot different of a movie than what I thought it was.