Dept Of Justice Indictments

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to this indictment, the processors and poker sites were engaged deeply in a criminal conspiracy. It looks as if assets seized will belong to the government, not us. In the section "Forfeiture Allegation as Counts Five, Six, and Seven", the defendants shall "forfeit to the United States...all property, real and personal, that constitutes and is traceable to the commission of these gambling offenses." I would assume that our gambling money would be considered part of PS, FTP, and AP, and, hence, part of the seized assets. Anyone who really knows what he's talking about want to comment though?
All the US can seize is money in US based accounts which would account for a small % of the site's wealth, money held in financial institutions in Europe are outside of the long arm of the US legal system. At least I can't imagine how this would not be so. I read on 2+2 that the gaming commissions that regulate FTP and Stars require that the money belonging to each player be kept in a trust account that is not subject to seizer or bankruptcy. I certainly hope this is correct and it does make sense.
All the US can seize is money in US based accounts which would account for a small % of the site's wealth, money held in financial institutions in Europe are outside of the long arm of the US legal system. At least I can't imagine how this would not be so.
I don't think that is true. Foreign banks and foreign governments generally cooperate when there are criminal charges. We've gotten swiss bank accounts frozen in the Assange case for instance.
Gonna be a very quiet Sunday around here tomorrow. I could see some of the big grinders getting an address in Mexico, the Bahamas, Costa Rica or some place nice like that. Some of these people may move just to cash out and then come back to the US.Wonder if there will be a contract put out on the Aussie cocksucker that rolled?I expect a VERY small turnout for WSOP unless this is resolved well before then. 3000-4000 for WSOP ME?Wonder if other sites are hurt?
Wouldn't you expect more, considering all that is available to USA players is playing live? Honestly I see the turnout being even bigger this year.
Wouldn't you expect more, considering all that is available to USA players is playing live? Honestly I see the turnout being even bigger this year.
Try to think about how many people qualified for the WSOP online.
not a chance its larger, I dont understand your logic
Try to think about how many people qualified for the WSOP online.
Yeah, I understand. But there are infintely more online grinders out there that are now out of a job. Maybe not so much for the ME, but as for $1000 and $1500 events I could see the players pool breaking records.
Yeah, I understand. But there are infintely more online grinders out there that are now out of a job. Maybe not so much for the ME, but as for $1000 and $1500 events I could see the players pool breaking records.
all the serious online grinders would probably be out in vegas regardless if online poker is here or not. The casual player wins their 1k and 1500 seats online, since qualifiers are relatively cheap. Numbers are going to be significantly less this year.

Something which I noticed at first, which I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere (definitely not trawling through 2+2 thread, too much garbage to sift through between each post of content):The AP Execs cited - one is Scott Tom. Is this not the same Scott Tom who's name was on the Potripper account from the previous scandal? Who we were all told was no longer involved?Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe it was unnoticed due to the size of the shitstorm, but that certainly stood out to me..

all the serious online grinders would probably be out in vegas regardless if online poker is here or not. The casual player wins their 1k and 1500 seats online, since qualifiers are relatively cheap. Numbers are going to be significantly less this year.
There could also be an issue with serious online grinders not being able to reach their bankrolls before the WSOP. No way they enter many events with a large % of their net worth tied up for an unknown period. There is also a large amount of people who would have sold pieces of themselves or been backed by Americans who find themselves without backers and a much smaller pool of buyers. The tournament guarantees on stars have fallen by 33%. I would assume that a 20%+ drop in player numbers come WSOP is not unreasonable.
Something which I noticed at first, which I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere (definitely not trawling through 2+2 thread, too much garbage to sift through between each post of content):The AP Execs cited - one is Scott Tom. Is this not the same Scott Tom who's name was on the Potripper account from the previous scandal? Who we were all told was no longer involved?Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe it was unnoticed due to the size of the shitstorm, but that certainly stood out to me..
And nobody should be shocked if he still is involved.

From Poker ScoutFull Tilt Poker traffic down 40% from last week, Cereus Network down 20%, Bodog up 21%, PartyPoker up 6%, iPoker Network up 10%, Ongame Network up 3%PokerStars traffic down 18% from last Saturday

You would think the PPA could make a statement with something other than a crappy web cam and perhaps wear something a little nicer than a tshirt.

Not yet. That usually takes a couple of working days. Will report once that happens.The limbo between cashing out by that method and getting the approval email in the past has only lasted 10 minutes. This time it took about 40 hours.

Not yet. That usually takes a couple of working days. Will report once that happens.The limbo between cashing out by that method and getting the approval email in the past has only lasted 10 minutes. This time it took about 40 hours.
No surprise that things are taking a lot longer. I'm guessing they probably have 20 times the normal number of withdrawal requests from non-Americans at least.

I think that US online poker players are going to learn VERY VERY quickly how a VPN (Virtual Private Network) functions. :club: They are cheap, you can log in a foreign city, and all you need is an address in the country you are logging into. Don't log in any city from France because they have the retarded "French only" government monopoly.If you registered as "Bob Smith" open a new account using your middle name "Bob Newton Smith (these are examples of course) and quite legitimately PS or FTP is off the hook. Your address should be a friend that you can visit and therefore you have a legit address.When I travel I play anywhere except France where it is blocked and now I will have to hook up to my VPN in Canada to play if I am travelling in the US.I live in Canada so not affected but I already have a whole bunch of friends that want to visit :ts ... if anyone wants info on Vancouver (free of charge of course) email me.Let's keep in percpective that on the road to poker regulation, this scenerio of US AG's foaming at the mouth shutting everything down is not an unforseen situation, and the reason that FTp & PS have been banging the drum in overseas markets with (ironically) freer markets than in today's USA.There is so much money in it for the governments regulating online poker that the prognosis for regulation is probably good. Let's just hope that the politicians understand the moral behind the fable about the goose that lays golden eggs and negotiates a settlement quickly because right now the DOJ is strangling the US goose ... but only the US goose.Just my two cents. The internet is full of VPN but do some research and pick a reputable one.

Interesting thing that I just saw.Last week's $109 Sunday Kickoff at Stars 836 EntrantsToday's $109 Sunday Kickoff at Stars 864 EntrantsNow this tourney was mostly aimed at Europeans, Asians and Aussies but still interesting.

I think that US online poker players are going to learn VERY VERY quickly how a VPN (Virtual Private Network) functions. :club: They are cheap, you can log in a foreign city, and all you need is an address in the country you are logging into. Don't log in any city from France because they have the retarded "French only" government monopoly.If you registered as "Bob Smith" open a new account using your middle name "Bob Newton Smith (these are examples of course) and quite legitimately PS or FTP is off the hook. Your address should be a friend that you can visit and therefore you have a legit address.
This doesn't seem like a great idea to me. Having multiple accounts is against the site rules anyways.I was just watching some Fox News, and they had a segment on it that made things sound really bad. Like online poker was already completely dead. Would our government be so stupid to actually shut this down forever? Especially with all the debt talk going on right now....