2011 Nhl Playoffs!

I always find the 1st game in a playoff series to be a very low scoring affair. With the long layoff, guys just don't have their legs going yet. Having 2 days in between is not going to help. I expect another one on Saturday.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't bored. I also didn't watch it.I should watch the next one so I have a decent idea of how to deal with prop bets on Monday night. I don't know if watching one game will help me in the "which side of the ice will the puck be on at the end of the period" bets.

They can suspend Rome for the rest of the playoffs (they won't), and it won't make a difference, because it is Aaron Rome, while the Bruins lose one of their best players for the remainder of the playoffs.

I don't see Rome getting more than 1 game, and that's all I think he deserves. It was a late hit imo, and that's it.I don't think he targetted the head, I don't think it came from the blindside, and I think Horton wasn't watching where he was going. I also find it annoying that every time there is a similar hit like this, Pierre McGuire has to say "This is rule 48b in a nutshell" 31 times.

Wow, the hit on Horton is just fuel to the fire for why I hate Vancouver.
Dude, take a good look at the Bruins and how they've been laying the body all playoffs long and rethink your statement. How many games did Chara get for putting Pacioretty into a stanchion and breaking his neck? Oh, wait, that's right! He got a 5 minute major and a game misconduct.Rome shouldn't get anything more than that. Period. End of ****ing story. It wasn't blindisde and Horton was picking up speed to crash the Canuck zone and the hit was late by MAYBE 1 second.
I don't see Rome getting more than 1 game, and that's all I think he deserves. It was a late hit imo, and that's it.I don't think he targetted the head, I don't think it came from the blindside, and I think Horton wasn't watching where he was going. I also find it annoying that every time there is a similar hit like this, Pierre McGuire has to say "This is rule 48b in a nutshell" 31 times.
I disagree wholeheartedly.It was a late (illegal) hit, delivered viciously, that resulted in a serious injury. It's a similar argument as with the Chara hit, and given precedence, maybe he won't be suspended at all, but I think it was a horribly dirty hit.
Dude, take a good look at the Bruins and how they've been laying the body all playoffs long and rethink your statement.How many games did Chara get for putting Pacioretty into a stanchion and breaking his neck? Oh, wait, that's right! He got a 5 minute major and a game misconduct.Rome shouldn't get anything more than that. Period. End of ****ing story. It wasn't blindisde and Horton was picking up speed to crash the Canuck zone and the hit was late by MAYBE 1 second.
what the Bruins have or haven't been doing all series is completely irrelevant to how this hit should be punished. To Suggest that the Chara hit on Pacioretty should have any bearing on this is ludicrous.
I disagree wholeheartedly.It was a late (illegal) hit, delivered viciously, that resulted in a serious injury. It's a similar argument as with the Chara hit, and given precedence, maybe he won't be suspended at all, but I think it was a horribly dirty hit.
I defer to your superior hockey knowledge (no sarcasm, rly), but how vicious is this hit? Rome rose up and connected with the chest/chin/head, so that's def an infraction that needs to be looked at, but what the hell is Horton doing speeding up and admiring his pass while entering the enemy zone? That's just stupid hockey from Horton.From Dubey: what the Bruins have or haven't been doing all series is completely irrelevant to how this hit should be punished. To Suggest that the Chara hit on Pacioretty should have any bearing on this is ludicrous. Yes, you're right, but my comment is more towards the NHL and their inconsistency in making rulings like this.
I defer to your superior hockey knowledge (no sarcasm, rly), but how vicious is this hit? Rome rose up and connected with the chest/chin/head, so that's def an infraction that needs to be looked at, but what the hell is Horton doing speeding up and admiring his pass while entering the enemy zone? That's just stupid hockey from Horton.From Dubey: what the Bruins have or haven't been doing all series is completely irrelevant to how this hit should be punished. To Suggest that the Chara hit on Pacioretty should have any bearing on this is ludicrous. Yes, you're right, but my comment is more towards the NHL and their inconsistency in making rulings like this.
yeah, with regards to precedent, I guess the Chara hit has some relevance.I agree Horton was 'stupid' on the play, but I don't think that excuses Rome. I know a lot of people disagree with me on this, but I think players need to hold back when another player puts themself in a dangerous situation. I'm probably the wrong person to argue this with, as I always seem to push for long suspensions in situations like this.I'm probably in the minority in the belief that a hit should be with the intention of removing a player from the puck. When a guy has long since dished off the puck and is admiring his pass, I really don't think there is any need to hit him at all.Also, given that an illegal hit took place, I also think Rome should be held responsible for the fact that Horton was seriously injured on the play. I felt that same way about the Chara hit. The NHL did not, obviously.

Dubey, I agree with your notion that a check should be to remove a player from the puck. I'm also against intent to injure and, although it could be argued Rome had "no intent", it is most certainly the case that he wanted to lay Horton out. What Rome should have done is try and outposition Horton and/or call attention to the fact that Horton was clearly going for the net. And, no, Horton's lack of awareness should not be an excuse to crush him.I'm fine if the NHL hits Rome with a suspension, but Bettman and his crew need to build some consistency here. They need to go back, review what they've delivered in terms of suspensions, etc, and create an adequate benchmark against which they should be measuring infrarctions like this.

Sorry, but this is in no way Horton's fault. People who say "keep your head up" or "stop admiring your pass" are living in the stone age. This hit was a full second after he passed the puck. He doesn't have to keep his head up, there should be no expectation of him getting hit, especially a vicious shoulder to the head. He made the pass, his teammate had it under control, then Horton took 3 full strides into the zone before Rome ran him.I'm 50/50 whether it was blindside or not. It was kinda north-south, but he certainly was blindsided in that he had his head turned, but I'll ignore that point and say it wasn't.The fact that it was an illegal check which resulted in injury is exactly why he should be suspended. And IMO, it's exactly why Chara should have been suspended for his hit on Pacioretty. Both were illegal, and they were both NOT hockey plays, and both resulted in serious injury.Remember, the point of a body check is to remove the player from the puck, not injure a guy, not take his head off, etc. That's a fact. It's evolved to the point where everyone is trying to kill everyone, and that's what we need to get rid of, IMO.I pretty much agree with Dubey on this. And I don't get all of the traditionalists whining that we're trying to take hitting out of the game. I'm sorry, but I'll still enjoy hockey if people aren't getting severe concussions left and right because of illegal hits and hits to the head. Players can deliver clean body checks all they want, they don't need to target the head or hit unsuspecting players with late hits.Finally, I agree that the potential suspension is ****ing meaningless, because it's Aaron Rome, and that's what makes this so stupid. The Bruins lose one of their best players for the rest of the year, maybe next season, maybe his career, and the Canucks lose their 90th ranked defensemen who averaged 13 minutes per game. They can put Keith Ballard in to replace him for crying out loud. I'd be furious if I was a Bruins fan.

Ok, he got 4 games. Maybe the NHL is finally coming to it's senses? 4 games in the Finals is a HUGE suspension, but you really wonder, what if Kevin Bieksa made this hit? Or Zdeno Chara?

Sorry, but this is in no way Horton's fault. People who say "keep your head up" or "stop admiring your pass" are living in the stone age. This hit was a full second after he passed the puck. He doesn't have to keep his head up, there should be no expectation of him getting hit, especially a vicious shoulder to the head. He made the pass, his teammate had it under control, then Horton took 3 full strides into the zone before Rome ran him.I'm 50/50 whether it was blindside or not. It was kinda north-south, but he certainly was blindsided in that he had his head turned, but I'll ignore that point and say it wasn't.The fact that it was an illegal check which resulted in injury is exactly why he should be suspended. And IMO, it's exactly why Chara should have been suspended for his hit on Pacioretty. Both were illegal, and they were both NOT hockey plays, and both resulted in serious injury.Remember, the point of a body check is to remove the player from the puck, not injure a guy, not take his head off, etc. That's a fact. It's evolved to the point where everyone is trying to kill everyone, and that's what we need to get rid of, IMO.I pretty much agree with Dubey on this. And I don't get all of the traditionalists whining that we're trying to take hitting out of the game. I'm sorry, but I'll still enjoy hockey if people aren't getting severe concussions left and right because of illegal hits and hits to the head. Players can deliver clean body checks all they want, they don't need to target the head or hit unsuspecting players with late hits.Finally, I agree that the potential suspension is ****ing meaningless, because it's Aaron Rome, and that's what makes this so stupid. The Bruins lose one of their best players for the rest of the year, maybe next season, maybe his career, and the Canucks lose their 90th ranked defensemen who averaged 13 minutes per game. They can put Keith Ballard in to replace him for crying out loud. I'd be furious if I was a Bruins fan.
Very well said Zach. I think I'll just quote this post from now on, every time this argument comes up.

I agree with Dave and Zach...the hit was just as dirty as Chara's hit on Pacioretty. I'm confused as to why Rome got 4 playoff games and Chara got nothing though. Are they coming down harder or is there another reason?