Poker Part Time Living?

hello, just wanted to know some tips on playing poker for a living part time. or in the mean time from me looking for a job after i get my degree? anyone know what a poker player should do to get started? i wish to play 1/2 no limit, i live in new jersey. im new to this forum. thanks

Oh boy. I mean, that's such a big question.Basically, absorb as much good info as you can. Figure out what helps you do that. Personally, I like to read books, so I read every poker-related one that I can. I also like forums, so I frequent poker forums. Some people like videos, so they find video training sites.Around FCP...this will probably be your best resource if you use it well:http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...hp?showforum=16Also, the state of the games these days means that you're probably going to want to start lower than 1/2 NL online in order to avoid having your head kicked in.So yeah...read, practice, and discuss. Those are the best things I can recommend.What's your experience to this point? What kind of BR are you starting with?

Sorry I have to....Join PokerVT the best online training site around! http://www.pokervt.com/ or click the link on this forum. I play full time and it would be nice if I actually made money at it, lol.I didn't start playing full time on purpose but I lost my job and I'm in a position where I could pursue poker full time for awhile. It's a lot tougher than most people think. Self discipline is the hardest part for me. Making myself play as much as I should during a downswing is tough. Staying on a regular schedule is hard. Your family and friends don't and won't usually look at poker like your job so they think you can just do what you want when they want you to. My best advice is to learn everything you can.Be sure you have the money you need to live on for a good while.Don't expect too much too soon, poker takes a long time to learn and to becoming a winning player. Most importantly practice good bankroll management. Good luck, you'll seriously need it.Oh one more thing, be careful about staking/coaching deals. There are a lot of people around offering different versions of these and you can into trouble with some of these people.

Sorry I have to....Join PokerVT the best online training site around! http://www.pokervt.com/ or click the link on this forum. I play full time and it would be nice if I actually made money at it, lol.I didn't start playing full time on purpose but I lost my job and I'm in a position where I could pursue poker full time for awhile. It's a lot tougher than most people think. Self discipline is the hardest part for me. Making myself play as much as I should during a downswing is tough. Staying on a regular schedule is hard. Your family and friends don't and won't usually look at poker like your job so they think you can just do what you want when they want you to. My best advice is to learn everything you can.Be sure you have the money you need to live on for a good while.Don't expect too much too soon, poker takes a long time to learn and to becoming a winning player. Most importantly practice good bankroll management. Good luck, you'll seriously need it.Oh one more thing, be careful about staking/coaching deals. There are a lot of people around offering different versions of these and you can into trouble with some of these people.
some decent advice here except the pokervt part.
hello, just wanted to know some tips on playing poker for a living part time. or in the mean time from me looking for a job after i get my degree? anyone know what a poker player should do to get started? i wish to play 1/2 no limit, i live in new jersey. im new to this forum. thanks
Really?
i consider myself a reasonably talented poker player, but i lack discipline and method. despite playing for about two years, and beingkind of even in money, i want to start over in poker. i was thinking about investing something like 70/100€(100/140$). in which roomscan i get the best bonus/rakeback deals? what level of cash-games could i play?and sng?in how many tables?i know those are many questions but i would really apreciate your help!thanks

The OP isn't in the spammer databases yet but I'm sure will end up there.It looks like he joined every poker forum there is yesterday and starting making posts similiar to this one.We won't be seeing him around here again.

I am just curious on what benefit that spamming forums with 1 or 2 topics would have?
It starts with some innocent nonsense, then before you know it they are jamming nike shoes and rakeback down your neck!
I am just curious on what benefit that spamming forums with 1 or 2 topics would have?
Spammers are sneaky bastards.Sometimes they'll aks a question and then another spam account will come in with an answer and a link to whatever it is they want to spam. Or they want to get some non spam posts in under their belts and then will make a spam post and hope that it won't be seen as spam.Or they'll make some posts and then later on edit them to be something spammy or add something to their signature in the future.There are 2 main types of spammers. One wants you to see something and click a link and the other type are SEO spammers that want the search engines to pick up on the links in their profiles and signatures to increase their search engine rankings.

Yet other spammers hide their spam information in their signatures...For example:Screenshot2011-03-22at64202PM.png

fyp
i hate when post get 'fixed' you are not being singled out , but this one just sent me over the edge . arent we all spammers, in various ways that are acceptable to BOB and therefore slide thru as valid post
The OP isn't in the spammer databases yet but I'm sure will end up there.It looks like he joined every poker forum there is yesterday and starting making posts similiar to this one.We won't be seeing him around here again.
How does you find that out? Do you go to them? Or do all the moderators have a facebook group?

Extreme patience, and good bank roll mangement. You will have losing days, face it and walk away for a bit. I became a winning player when I realized being on tilt and trying to play above my means were my biggest problems. Keep in mind there is a big difference between knowing you should have folded the pocket kings in hindsight as opposed to folding them before you put the money in.

i hate when post get 'fixed' you are not being singled out , but this one just sent me over the edge . arent we all spammers, in various ways that are acceptable to BOB and therefore slide thru as valid post
I personally hate it when people say 'thru'.