"you Are Scum, A Man Of No Intergrity! Zero. Zilch. Nada."

So I am looking for some different perspectives on this situation that came up in a live game in AC the other day. In all honesty, I think the entire scenario got blown incredibly out of proportion and laughed about it as it was going on, but certain other players at my table had a lot to say. Here's the scoop:2-5 nlhe game. I'm the big stack at the table with about $1600 and sitting in the #8 seat. The gentleman to my immediate right in the #7 seat is involved in a large heads up pot with the guy in the #4 seat. The hand is being played out and I am minding my own business, action gets to the river and the gentleman to my right goes all in. #4 tanks for about 2 minutes and folds. As the pot is being raked toward #7 he checks his hole cards one more time, using only one hand and mucks. This is where things get interesting. #1 seat stands up and looking directly at me says, "did he show you his cards?!?!" I respond simply, "no." Guy goes ballistic. Now standing, he yells to the rest of the card room about what an indecent human being I am. He goes on to say that I am "a liar and a piece of shit." I, now completely miffed about what is taking place explain that this is absurd, I have no reason to lie about seeing #7's cards and that #1 is embarrassing himself by going on this ridiculous tirade. This back and forth between he and I goes on for a few minutes until the floor comes over, at which point he says that "You are scum, a man of no integrity! Zero. Zilch. Nada."Now, I understand that if #7 had shown his cards to me, it is within the rights of everyone at the table to ask to see them as well. Show one show all. However, the guy never showed me his cards and the dealer said that he saw him check them, never lift them off the table or show them to me. Shouldn't it have just ended at that? Instead, #1 told the floor to check the tape! At this point I just wanted to bust this guys balls because this was becoming, at least in my opinion, absolutely ridiculous. #7, I guess for the same reason that I was so miffed by the situation was growing more and more aggravated. He refused to show the cards, which never made it all the way to the muck. Finally, after nearly 10 minutes of bullshit he decided to turn them over (He had the nuts fyi). So I guess the annoying ******* in seat #1 got what he wanted. My initial thought was that he very easily could have been trying to tilt me. I never got a chance to play another pot against him because he got up about a half an hour later. Making this whole exchange just so ridiculous in my opinion. Thoughts?

Shoulda punched him in the throat.
This. I'm surprised the hand stayed out of the muck for that long. I think it's funny that seat #1 went batshit crazy even though he was never in the hand. When he left I would have be tempted to say something to him about how he made such a big deal about seeing the hand only to stay for 30 more minutes.

If im strategically seated (1,5,6,10 usually) and Im in an interesting hand and am folding or mucking after a win, I'll try to shove my cards into the muck. Is that wrong?

If I was at the table, I would have looked him directly in the eye and say, "Do you know what I think about people like you?" (pause) Then look away and completely ignore him for the rest of the time you are at the table. This will drive him nuts. Rather than focusing on the game, all he will do is think what you think of him.

I'm surprised the hand stayed out of the muck for that long.
Yeah, I agree. Dealer should go ahead and mix them in if he judged that they were not exposed to the OP.

A floor person shouldn't be willing to stop the game and go to the camera for something like this. The floor should ask the dealer what happened. Maybe ask seat 1, seat 7 and yourself what happened but that's not necessary. Then rule and get on with the next hand. I would have a problem with stopping the game for 10 minutes for something like this. The only time the game should stop for more than the time it takes for a floor person to get the information from the dealer and make a ruling is if the table has hit a bad beat. I'm pretty good at defusing situations but I can also tilt the bejebbus out of dbags like seat 1 which can be both fun and profitable. I'm the goofball at the table full of non sequitors which allows players at the table to perceive me as generally dumb and non threatening.

Update: Played with this bonehead guy again this past Saturday night at Caesars in AC. As he sat down he looked over at me and said, "I can't believe they even let you in here."I felted him roughly 40 minutes later when my Qs10s made a straight flush against his set of jacks. He asked how I raise with q10. My response: "I had a boner." Sweet sweet vindication.

Update: Played with this bonehead guy again this past Saturday night at Caesars in AC. As he sat down he looked over at me and said, "I can't believe they even let you in here."I felted him roughly 40 minutes later when my Qs10s made a straight flush against his set of jacks. He asked how I raise with q10. My response: "I didn't look at my hole cards. You should know that I never look"
That is the line I would have taken

Next time you play with him, ask for the seat change button until you get the 10 seat, then every time you win a pot without a showdown, show seat 9 your cards before throwing them directly into the muck so they can't be retrieved.