Bill Proposes Sale Of Cars With Alcohol Detection Devices

Bill proposes sale of cars with alcohol detection devicesSource: Star TelegramBy Gordon DicksonThursday, Mar. 10, 2011Americans may soon be able to buy cars that are automatically equipped with an alcohol detection device that would prevent the car from starting if the driver is impaired.A bill sponsored by nine U.S. senators would provide $60 million over five years to speed up research into devices to detect alcohol on a driver's breath, through touch on the steering wheel or through other methods. Car owners could select the option when buying a new vehicle.But a nationwide restaurant trade group opposes the bill, saying that because the devices would have a margin of error, they would have to be set below the legal blood-alcohol level of 0.08."The bill's sponsors and supporters claim the alcohol detectors would be voluntary and set at 0.08, but there is a mountain of evidence showing that their true goal is to put alcohol-sensing technology in all cars as original equipment, set well below the 0.08 level," said Sarah Longwell, managing director of the American Beverage Institute, which represents more than 8,000 restaurants. "Putting alcohol detectors in all cars would effectively eliminate Americans' ability to have a glass of wine with dinner, a beer at a ballgame or a champagne toast at a wedding. We all want to get dangerous drunk drivers off the roads, but to do this we should focus on policies that target drunk drivers, not all Americans."But supporters say the devices could save thousands of lives a year.
http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/03/10/29...-cars-with.htmlSponsorSenator Tom Udall D-NMCo-SponsorsSen. Mark Begich [D, AK]Sen. Sherrod Brown [D, OH]Sen. Bob Corker [R, TN]Sen. Al Franken [D, MN]Sen. Amy Klobuchar [D, MN]Sen. John Rockefeller [D, WV]Sen. Charles Schumer [D, NY]Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse [D, RI]
SponsorSenator Tom Udall D-NMCo-SponsorsSen. Mark Begich [D, AK]Sen. Sherrod Brown [D, OH]Sen. Bob Corker [R, TN]Sen. Al Franken [D, MN]Sen. Amy Klobuchar [D, MN]Sen. John Rockefeller [D, WV]Sen. Charles Schumer [D, NY]Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse [D, RI]
I don't get it, none of these guys are named Bill.
How many of the sponsors are partial owners of the company that makes the devices.
That's an interesting question.I don't have a problem with some sort of testing device being standard in cars. Any time I drink, I always wonder, "I feel totally normal... but wouldn't it ****ing destroy my life if I got pulled over and blew a 0.081?!"
I don't have a problem with some sort of testing device being standard in cars. Any time I drink, I always wonder, "I feel totally normal... but wouldn't it ****ing destroy my life if I got pulled over and blew a 0.081?!"
pussy

The real question is whether this device produces any statistically meaningful decrease in accidents. Until there is some actual data, this is just theft for the benefit of a few.

No one? Okay, fine.
I ran through all sorts of clever answers, but none were as good as that, so I decided not to rain on your parade.
  • 2 weeks later...

Another complete waste of money when we (the US government), or the auto industry, simply cannot afford additional costs. Another example of incredibly incompetent governing from our elected officials.

God, I hate this country. Absolutely hate it, yet cannot leave it to go live in Europe. What an awful position to be in."Now, sir, as I insert my thumb up your ass, it's required by law that you chant "LAND OF THE FREE" over and over until I have finished..."