Massive Earthquake Off The Japanese Coast

I'm sure disaster relief agencies like the red cross will be there helping out, and they always need funding.
Very true. Maybe help out a group called World Vets that I've worked for in the past. They always get involved with these things, and in this specific situation I doubt anyone is going to starve to death without foreign aid, so I feel ok helping out some displaced pets. People do forget that animals get royally fucked over when something like this happens.
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true. Maybe help out a group called World Vets that I've worked for in the past. They always get involved with these things, and in this specific situation I doubt anyone is going to starve to death without foreign aid, so I feel ok helping out some displaced pets. People do forget that animals get royally fucked over when something like this happens.
Yeah. I don't think we NEED to be giving $ to Japan - especially as individuals. The exception would be targeted Aid for specific causes such as you point out. We should probably as a Country offer at least some token Aid, if only to set an example for future disasters. Japan did pledge some aid to the US when Katrina Hit. A few hundred grand and some blankets in the name of International Politeness. Guess we could reciprocate.
From Wikipedia: The Japanese Foreign Ministry said that it would provide $200,000 to the American Red Cross to assist victims of Hurricane Katrina. Japan also identified needs in affected regions via the U.S. government and provided up to $300,000 in emergency supplies such as tents, blankets and power generators if they receive requests from the U.S. for such assistance. One Japanese individual, Takashi Endo, donated USD 1 million from his personal funds to Katrina relief efforts
I'm guessing the average age of people who've posted in this thread is well over 30 and a lot less than that at your video game forum.
You'd be surprised. Quite a large number of those posters also fall in that age range. Not well over 30, but around 30 or so. Old enough to know better.Of course you have your adolescents and college kids trying to act cool, but it's the middle-agers that are leading the march, which is pretty disgusting.

We are right near the Hayward Fault. This is pretty terrifying stuff. Here's an interesting pic of the tsunami inside the Golden Gate:Tsunami.jpg

I just don't believe that you can be talking about a statistically significant sample at all.
Probably about the same percentage of Japanese who would not donate to us because of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Some people can't let things go.
We are right near the Hayward Fault. This is pretty terrifying stuff. Here's an interesting pic of the tsunami inside the Golden Gate:Tsunami.jpg
Leave it to America to stop the tsunami.Obv horrible, but one thing for sure, Japan is going to have a lot of incredible video and pictures.

A woman being interviewed in a NHK news report claims that the time between feeling the quake the her town being engulfed by the Tsunami was about 30 minutes, so we can assume that a tremendous amount of people are going to have died in those northern prefectures, since that just isn't enough time for a significant evacuation.

I heard today some woman talking about how terrible our Country is. Yeah, we have issues, plenty of them. But when a disaster like this comes along there are enough people who DO give aid to another Country to completely overshadow the crazies - until the Media go looking for the crazies to over report and give them a vastly disproportionate amount of attention while the vast majority grieve for those affected.
I'm sick of the kind of newspeople who look for the kind of people who are criticizing America and Americans and then give them "equal time."
A woman being interviewed in a NHK news report claims that the time between feeling the quake the her town being engulfed by the Tsunami was about 30 minutes, so we can assume that a tremendous amount of people are going to have died in those northern prefectures, since that just isn't enough time for a significant evacuation.
Every video I've seen there are people just going about their business. So so many had to be just trapped / unaware.

Them finding that old man lying on his roof TEN miles out to sea is incredible.

They're apparently asking for help dealing with the Nuclear issues, which I believe we should provide in full. If Hussein is worth shit, he would be issuing orders and directives to round up our best nuclear engineers and having them on the ground in Japan by this time tomorrow. Instead, my bet is that he will hold cabinet meetings to arrive at a consensus on when the next consensus-building cabinet meeting should be held.Also, ABC news reports that food is getting critical in some areas. Probably should get some air drops going.

They're apparently asking for help dealing with the Nuclear issues, which I believe we should provide in full. If Hussein is worth shit, he would be issuing orders and directives to round up our best nuclear engineers and having them on the ground in Japan by this time tomorrow. Instead, my bet is that he will hold cabinet meetings to arrive at a consensus on when the next consensus-building cabinet meeting should be held.
[2:14 p.m. p.m. ET Monday, 3:14 a.m. Tuesday in Tokyo] The United States has sent a team of experts to assist Japan at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, including two cooling experts.
They're apparently asking for help dealing with the Nuclear issues, which I believe we should provide in full. If Hussein is worth shit, he would be issuing orders and directives to round up our best nuclear engineers and having them on the ground in Japan by this time tomorrow. Instead, my bet is that he will hold cabinet meetings to arrive at a consensus on when the next consensus-building cabinet meeting should be held.
I also recall a report that within hours of the quake that extra cooling material was being shipped in from the US and Europe.Edit: it wouldn't surprise me if there isn't some sort of emergency assistance plans in place for countries to help each other in the event of nuclear problems.
upgraded to a 9.0. is that the largest earthquake on record?
actually a quick google search indicates that it's really fucking easy to do a quick google search for this answer.
So on a logarithmic scale this makes it 100X stronger than the 7.0 Haiti Quake?...or do I fail on this too?
From Wiki:
The energy release of an earthquake, which closely correlates to its destructive power, scales with the 3⁄2 power of the shaking amplitude. Thus, a difference in magnitude of 1.0 is equivalent to a factor of 31.6 ( = (101.0)(3 / 2)) in the energy released; a difference in magnitude of 2.0 is equivalent to a factor of 1000 ( = (102.0)(3 / 2) ) in the energy released
That makes no sense to me, maybe LLY can explain it, but it agrees with a news report I saw early on.
From Wiki:That makes no sense to me, maybe LLY can explain it, but it agrees with a news report I saw early on.
An 8.0 earthquake is 32 times worse than a 7.0 earthquake.A 9.0 earthquake is 32 times worse than an 8.0 earthquake.A 9.0 earthquake is 1000 times worse than a 7.0 earthquake.Dummy.