Union Worker Protests In Wi

Isn't that what I said -- that they are finally just admitting that they are buying off legislators, and get pissed when it doesn't work?
I think you said they gave up any pretense of being honest.....when I think they finally were honest.You probably just meant to say they finally abandoned the pretense that they give money to Dems for any reason other than getting protection in return.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you said they gave up any pretense of being honest.....when I think they finally were honest.You probably just meant to say they finally abandoned the pretense that they give money to Dems for any reason other than getting protection in return.
Protection may have been the purpose decades ago.It stopped being about protection when their pay scales passed private sectors and their retirement packages became insane
interesting that no one wants to comment on it
Only saw the comment when you quoted it, as hblask is still on my block list. Sorry I don't get here much anymore - new job, crazy hours, and stealing neighbors' internet until Comcast comes Thursday. :)I don't know much about the Mass Dems decision because we're a bit cocooned in Wisconsin with our own recalls. If it's the same bill, with the same reasoning behind it, I'd be shocked if there wasn't outrage in MA. It's also a curious decision in regards to funding, as there's no denying that unions donate to the Dems to fight for them. To be honest, I just don't know enough about it.
Only saw the comment when you quoted it, as hblask is still on my block list. Sorry I don't get here much anymore - new job, crazy hours, and stealing neighbors' internet until Comcast comes Thursday. :)I don't know much about the Mass Dems decision because we're a bit cocooned in Wisconsin with our own recalls. If it's the same bill, with the same reasoning behind it, I'd be shocked if there wasn't outrage in MA. It's also a curious decision in regards to funding, as there's no denying that unions donate to the Dems to fight for them. To be honest, I just don't know enough about it.
you should really unblock HB as he takes the most time to lay out his positions (as does cane,vb,BG)you can learn from all sides... these guys will challenge in you in your thoughts and positions and that is a good thing
http://www.wisdems.org/news/press/view/201...n-fraud-exposedAccording to the...complaint?....the firm used by GOP to collect recall signatures forged enough names and misled enough people and had gotten enough signatures from outside the district to invalidate all 3 recall efforts.I'd heard previously that they had gone way, way out of district to collect signatures against Cowles, but this wouldn't just be incompetence if true. Wow.
http://www.wisdems.org/news/press/view/201...n-fraud-exposedAccording to the...complaint?....the firm used by GOP to collect recall signatures forged enough names and misled enough people and had gotten enough signatures from outside the district to invalidate all 3 recall efforts.I'd heard previously that they had gone way, way out of district to collect signatures against Cowles, but this wouldn't just be incompetence if true. Wow.
Never read about one parties 'crimes' when the source is the other party without realizing that you are actively reading propaganda.Reminds of a the joke about party X candidate when he was in the cemetery, filling out registration forms from the names on tombstones.He got to one grave stone that was old and weather beaten, and he was having a hard time reading it."Just skip that one" his aide said."Hey, this person has just as much right to have his voice heard as any of the rest of these people"When the 2000 Florida recount was underway, there was an accusation from the national democrat headquarters that the ballots in Palm Beach county were purposefully misleading to push votes towards Buchanan and away from Algore. This made national news.They left out that the district was completely democrat controlled and democrats made the ballots, and had a separate panel approve the ballots, including the Algore office for Palm Beach county. No Republican ever had any say in the way the ballots were printed.
Never read about one parties 'crimes' when the source is the other party without realizing that you are actively reading propaganda.
I know, and usually I don't bother. But I can tell you for sure that they gathered lots of signatures from well outside of the district. I heard this from many people outside the district who had signed. That, by itself, is severe incompetence at best.

so I heard that New York has decided to address their money problem without going after collective bargaining!Of course 6,000 teacher will be laid off and another 1,000 city workers...but the ones that remain will still be able to demand higher wages!New York: The union mecca

prowarprot%202.jpg
Come on, that guy is awesome.I will bet $100 that he would do a better job with the national economy than Algore would.Makes that $200
prowarprot%202.jpg
um, bob, it's pretty well known at this point that the guy in that picture is Steve Moran. he's just signing his name to his sign so people can identify him later. that's all that is.
no way that's real
The article I got it from had dozens of others, it's real. Apparently the unions are just giving up on the charade that they just want a few minor regulations to protect workers, and finally admitting their real goal -- to control the levers of the market in a way unseen in this country.
The article I got it from had dozens of others, it's real. Apparently the unions are just giving up on the charade that they just want a few minor regulations to protect workers, and finally admitting their real goal -- to control the levers of the market in a way unseen in this country.
Please link us to this article.
Please link us to this article.
The article itself is nothing special, just a few interesting pictures like the one I posted. The commentary in the post you responded to was mine, not from the article -- sorry if that was misleading, I did not intend to make it look like that, but see now that it could be taken that way. I barely skimmed the article because it's from one of those hyper-partisan blog type sites.My comments were based on the pictures and a few other stories that have been news lately.If you still want to see the article, here it is.

Find it interesting that no teachers were laid off in wisconsin, the union went beserk.New York has just announced the impending layoff of thousands, wheres the outrage?Yes I know wisconsin teachers were losing their power to collectively hold taxpayers hostage. Personally Id rather have a job, then some right they may never need.The gov over there shoulda caved and gave them that right, then laid off half the work forceWoops, BG just pretty much said this. OH well better late to the party than never.

Find it interesting that no teachers were laid off in wisconsin, the union went beserk.
Thousands of teachers and other school employees have been laid off.
Thousands of teachers and other school employees have been laid off.
a quick trip thru google and the search term wisconsin teacher layoffs - didnt turn up much..maybe I missed it..i did see thishttp://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/121418094.html
In the 1990s, the nation followed Wisconsin's lead on education reform as we took bold steps to expand choices for parents and focused on results in the classroom. Regrettably, much of that progress slipped away. In good times and bad, both Republicans and Democrats have assumed dollars were a good enough substitute for real reform.Over a 15-year period in Wisconsin, per-pupil spending on education far outpaced inflation and roughly doubled. Meanwhile, student performance has stagnated or gotten worse while states that have been serious about reform have left us in the dust
  • 1 month later...
The legislature does not have to abide by the open meetings law? That's pretty strange. It's not a big deal because they just would have re-passed the law if they got shot down in court but that is some very strange legal reasoning.
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess the following fits best here. My wife has been a school psychologist in the Miami public school system for 4 years. She went to one of the top graduate schools for her field and has excelled; I know I am biased but she was elected the President of the Dade County Association of School Psychologists even though she is not yet 30.She resigned from the school system today. The major benefit of the working for the school system was the benefits. But those are gone. Rick Scott and the GOP FL legislature have shredded the school budget (while passing tax cuts for businesses and the rich). My wife has not received a raise since she started work. She was originally a 12 month employee. Now, she would be a 10 month employee (with a corresponding 11% pay cut). Her pension system was gutted and her health insurance was switched to a far crappier plan that has a prohibitive cost if you try and add a spouse.Luckily, she is competent enough and has the educational background to have options. She is taking a job in the disabilities department with University of Miami. She won't have the satisfaction of helping K-5th grade kids who really, really need the help. Instead, she will be coordinating extra time for football players and working on things that have far less of a social impact.We both feel that she has no choice. At the university she is guaranteed a 2-3% raise per year. In the school system, she would be guaranteed to not get a raise for another 4 years and I doubt things will change then. At the university, she will have great benefits and I can join her medical insurance plan for peanuts. In the school system, all benefits have been greatly reduced.I know this story is anecdotal but it is, to me, a microcosm of what will happen as we put the screws to teachers and educators while still somehow finding a way to provide tax cuts for those who need a break the least. I can say with some confidence that the Miami school system lost their best school psychologist under the age of 40 today because they can't provide even a semi-competitive compensation package for a position that requires a bachelor degree and 3 years of graduate school.

Sorry man, hope things work out for the best for her.
She is thrilled. Working for the school system is a pain and she will make more money now. I feel bad for the kids at the two schools she runs the psych show at; they will most likely get someone much less competent.Thank you for the well wishes though.