Union Worker Protests In Wi

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why would we all agree with that without any facts?
Because we don't waste our time quibbling about irrelevant specifics when a generalized understanding is more than sufficient to further the conversation?Oh, wait, we do the opposite of that.
The recall was destined to fail since a large majority of people even those who don't support Walker's policies think that a recall should only be used where fraud or something like that has happened and not as a weapon against a difference in policy.Combine that with people not generally liking Public Sector Unions along with a 9-1 spending advantage most of which came from out of State and there was little chance of the Democrats winning.
I love how, when Walker was behind, this recall election was a mandate on how horrible Walker is; once the polls turned the message became "oh, it's just because people don't like recalls." Over half of my Facebook feed is from WI; there is no ambiguity about what this election was about.The 9-1 spending thing is a myth; the unions spent tens of millions just by themselves.
Does someone have something definitive? I've read anywhere between 3.5 to 1 and 15 to 1 in the last ten minutes of searching.
The actual numbers are hard to come by, but if you count union spending, is no more than 3:1. At any rate, something like 87% of voters had made up their mind back before the ads started.

Or, you know, people are not supportive of policies that are costly to them but beneficial to their neighbours. S'ok though, I'm sure just because the government decides to make unions weaker, the private industry will not take advantage of the situation in any way that pisses people off when the economy turns.

Or, you know, people are not supportive of policies that are costly to them but beneficial to their neighbours. S'ok though, I'm sure just because the government decides to make unions weaker, the private industry will not take advantage of the situation in any way that pisses people off when the economy turns.
The topic is public sector unions -- that is all Walker has been dealing with. So no, the private sector will not take advantage of it, unless you mean "will have more money to invest in real economic growth." The problem is the public sector unions are rigging the game. Just as corporations own Washington DC and rig the rules in their own favor, the unions own the state govts. This was the first warning that those days are ending.
How does it 'help their neighbor' to bankrupt the city, thus resulting in their 'neighbor' getting nothing for retirement?Stockton is about to BK over rising employee costs.State employee unions have bought the democrats and negotiated impossible deals for their members. Sounds good, as long as we maintain a 5% growth rate for ever. But when the salaries for the police is sometimes divided 40/60 for retired / active police officers...and that ratio is getting worse, there comes a day of reckoning when you realize that the deals made by idiots cannot be honored.We could wait until the city collapses and there is a complete meltdown of all city services to address this...you know, so that our 'neighbor' isn't inconvenienced by being asked to kick in a tiny percentage of the $1,200 a month healthcare coverage they're slated to get for the remainder of their lives because they answered the phone at city hall for 20 years, while also pulling down an 80% paycheck for life.

"Chuck Todd of NBC News: $63 million spent on trying to get rid of Scott Walker in WI"This is just a shot in the dark, but I'm guessing Walker didn't spend $567 million.

lolThey'll take my pension when they pry it from my cold dead hands
If Obamacare is approved that request may be honored...do you have prefered method you would like to go by??

One of my favourite ways to pick sides in an argument is to see how well one side defends itself against really stupid positions the other side takes. In my humble opinion, the last 6 posts (not including nutz and Ocho, which were not arguments) were very convincing in how terrible they were at defending the side against posts/suggestions so dumb or pointless (including mine) that they didn't even really require an argument.

And my favorite way to keep the other side convinced their dumb ideas are right is to make sure they pick the side they admit is dumb and doesn't require an argument.

And my favorite way to keep the other side convinced their dumb ideas are right is to make sure they pick the side they admit is dumb and doesn't require an argument.
Good try, but as usual, a purposeful misstatement is the best defense you can come up with. I didn't say a certain side was dumb, just that the particular arguments being responded to were.
Good try, but as usual, a purposeful misstatement is the best defense you can come up with. I didn't say a certain side was dumb, just that the particular arguments being responded to were.
Which clearly is caused by the dumbing down of the conversation at the beginning
One of my favourite ways to pick sides in an argument is to see how well one side defends itself against really stupid positions the other side takes
You'll get better arguments against reasonable positions. That's usually how good discussions happen.
One of my favourite ways to pick sides in an argument is to see how well one side defends itself against really stupid positions the other side takes. In my humble opinion, the last 6 posts (not including nutz and Ocho, which were not arguments) were very convincing in how terrible they were at defending the side against posts/suggestions so dumb or pointless (including mine) that they didn't even really require an argument.
In my defense, I rarely read your posts, so I didn't even try to defend/offend anything you had said. I was just posting some pesky facts to back up what I said on the previous page.
You'll get better arguments against reasonable positions. That's usually how good discussions happen.
well yeah.
In my defense, I rarely read your posts, so I didn't even try to defend/offend anything you had said. I was just posting some pesky facts to back up what I said on the previous page.
Nice "fact"
Nice "fact"
He really said it. I promise.