Union Worker Protests In Wi

You don't think anyone is going to bring up how big the national debt is now since Obama spent more in 1 term than all other presidents combined? ( or something like that )Cause I think its going to be on the top of every bodies lists of things to slam Obama on.Right below it will be the thing about refusing to turn over a legal birth certificate.Then how often he played golf while people suffered.And lastly how could he shut down whole cities so he and Michelle could go out to eat and why is he this selfish and unthinking.
So one good one and three lame ones. Let me know when you want to lose some money again.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So one good one and three lame ones. Let me know when you want to lose some money again.
I didn't think the debt one was that lame.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/03/26/wis...dex.html?hpt=T2The litigious and contentious battle in Wisconsin over collective bargaining rights has a new twist -- the publishing of the law despite a judge's order against such a move.That left lawmakers and observers wondering Saturday whether the law had taken effect.This latest drama started Friday afternoon when the state's Legislative Reference Bureau published the controversial act that curbs the collective bargaining rights of most employees.The Legislature's website Saturday noted the publication of the law and cited these two points:-- Dane County Circuit Court Judge Maryann Sumi on March 18 halted enactment of the law and forbade Secretary of State Douglas La Follette from publishing the law.-- Wisconsin law requires the Legislative Reference Bureau to publish every act within 10 days of its passage."There was no temporary restraining order on the Legislative Reference Bureau from publishing, only on the secretary of state," Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald told CNN affiliate WISN. "There was no reason that the (bureau) could not publish, and actually has an obligation to do that, as they did today (Friday)."
Right below it will be the thing about refusing to turn over a legal birth certificate.Then how often he played golf while people suffered.And lastly how could he shut down whole cities so he and Michelle could go out to eat and why is he this selfish and unthinking.
My dream is to have Romney as the candidate and have these be his primary platform. What a landslide that would be!
My dream is to have Romney as the candidate and have these be his primary platform. What a landslide that would be!
4 more years of Obama is your dream?There wouldn't be any radiation leakage at your work would there?
4 more years of Obama is your dream?There wouldn't be any radiation leakage at your work would there?
radiation leakage would make his skin fall off not affect his brain. you are thinking of a gas leak.I'll take 4 more years of Obama over anybody the GOP is thinking of running so far. Though I was pleased to see that Palin's numbers are at an all-time low.
radiation leakage would make his skin fall off not affect his brain. you are thinking of a gas leak.I'll take 4 more years of Obama over anybody the GOP is thinking of running so far. Though I was pleased to see that Palin's numbers are at an all-time low.
Obama over Ron Paul, or do you not think Ron Paul is on the GOP's list? Mostly I agree, the R's don't seem to be the least bit inclined to nominate someone that deserves a vote from a sane person. I personally don't see Obama deserving anyone's vote either, but if you held a gun to my head and made me choose between Romney, Huckabee, or Obama, I'd probably pick Obama. He's done his worst now, no point in bringing in someone new who is just going to stick our heads in a new bucket of shit.
Obama over Ron Paul, or do you not think Ron Paul is on the GOP's list?
There is zero chance he wins their nomination and you know it. I wasn't considering him.
There is zero chance he wins their nomination and you know it. I wasn't considering him.
i wonder if Rand Paul can get any traction.Rand Paul and Mark Rubio or Alan West
Waiting for SupermanIt appears to require some weird video player that I don't have installed, but maybe that's just me. At any rate, it should be easy to get.
Finally saw this movie last night. I'll divide my opinion into two sections:1) I didn't think it was a fantastic documentary. It was good, but not great. I found it rich on fluff and not too heavy on substance. It spent a lot of time following kids around and interviewing them, and the climax was the lottery selection, but it didn't spend as much time digging into the facts and arguing both sides. When it actually did show some numbers or charts, they were powerful, and so it should have done more of that. 2) Having said that, I almost agree entirely with the message. It was terrible to see people who had an active interest in helping kids being shot down and discouraged at every turn. And of course the most shocking was the instance where classrooms were filmed with teachers reading and kids playing craps, and even those teachers couldn't be fired (as well as the NY rubber rooms).I've said this before and I'll reiterate the point: if giant corporations can be broken up, than so should giant unions. Clearly something has to be done. But I'm not saying that the problem is inherit to the concept of public schools. I remain confident, as those in the video did, that public schools can work (look at the extremely successful charter schools). They just need more freedom, independence, and less straight-jacket control from unions.It seems like a problem that CAN be fixed if the right people are in place and the country is in the right mood. I'm not crazy, right?
I didn't think it was a fantastic documentary.
you are a heartless cold blooded bastard. I teared up at the end and that means it is a great documentary.but yeah, the biggest problems seem to be from the bureaucracy from multiple levels of government and the power the unions have over firing and compensation decisions. both of those things are huge efficiency killers, and that's really what's at issue, the efficiency of the schools (more efficient schools have more efficient teachers which can teach more effectively).
It seems like a problem that CAN be fixed if the right people are in place and the country is in the right mood.
I was with you until here.I did agree with most of what you said. I think as a documentary, it was sparse, but maybe that's where it's power comes from. They were confident enough to let it tell its own story.I don't have a problem with big companies or big unions, as long as they aren't in bed with the rule makers. Whenever I ask people for specifics about why they hate corporations, it always comes down to that. I think the same holds true for the unions.And mostly I'm kidding with my first line there. We seem to be at a tipping point in education. When perfectly sane middle income suburbanites start considering giving up a big chunk of their income to home school, it's a tipping point, and I know a number of people like that. The problem is how to get from here to there.

Top ten ways to tell if you might be a member of a public-sector unionBy David Letterman02/21/201110.) You take a week off to protest in Wisconsin and your office runs better.9.) On a snow day when they say “non-essential” people should stay home - you know they mean you.8.) You get paid twice as much as a private sector person doing the same job, but make up the difference by doing half as much work.7.) It takes longer to fire you than the average killer spends on death row.6.) The worse you do your job, the more your boss avoids you.5.) You think the French are working themselves to death.4.) You know by having a copy of the Holy Koran on your desk that your job is 100% safe.3.) You spend more time at protest marches than at church.2.) You have a Democratic congressman’s lips permanently attached to your butt.1.) You pay more in union dues than you do for your healthcare insurance.

Top ten ways to tell if you might be a member of a public-sector unionBy David Letterman
Really? Letterman did that? Or is this one of those internet hoax things. It definitely doesn't sound like him.
Really? Letterman did that? Or is this one of those internet hoax things. It definitely doesn't sound like him.
So far it looks to be 100% fake. The CBS site shows this list for 2-21-11....Top Ten Little Known Facts About United States Presidents10.William Howard Taft was so fat, he's considered our 27th and 28th president9.Teddy Roosevelt answered the phone, "Helloosevelt?"8.The "K" in James K. Polk stood for "Kanye"7.Like the cartoon cat, James Garfield loved lasagna and hated Mondays6.To conserve energy, when possible, Jimmy Carter would travel via pogo stick5.During one of his fireside chats, FDR accidentally burned down the map room4.John Tyler was the only president to work his way up from the mailroom3.Zachary Taylor's vice president was a cocker spaniel named Angus2.Our only unmarried president, James Buchanan, was fond of posing as his own first lady1.George W. Bush was not born in the United States
Top ten ways to tell if you might be a member of a public-sector unionBy David Letterman02/21/20111.) You pay more in union dues than you do for your healthcare insurance.
That there..is pure gold

I live in the middle of Wisconsin, and I've tried to stay out of the way of most of the arguments and chatter. (I'm a neutral-liberal) Lately though, Republicans blow my mind in this state. Most of them that I have talked to are completely nonsensical, and it has led from a friendly chat to fiery arguments. The unwillingness to compromise is what will absolutely tear the GOP apart in this state and riffle over into the rest of the nation. Also, no surprises at all to see Scott Walker get recalled when it is possible. There are bumper stickers and signs everywhere for it. The people in these parties are more divided than ever.

I live in the middle of Wisconsin, and I've tried to stay out of the way of most of the arguments and chatter. (I'm a neutral-liberal) Lately though, Republicans blow my mind in this state. Most of them that I have talked to are completely nonsensical, and it has led from a friendly chat to fiery arguments. The unwillingness to compromise is what will absolutely tear the GOP apart in this state and riffle over into the rest of the nation. Also, no surprises at all to see Scott Walker get recalled when it is possible. There are bumper stickers and signs everywhere for it. The people in these parties are more divided than ever.
Unions ultimately try to help the working class/middle class, but more often end up destroying it over time.One perfect example is the UAW. Look at Detroit now. A bombed out relic left to die a slow death. It will never come back. Most of the factories are empty and the City looks like a war zone. And more than half of the cars are now built in Mexico where it is cheaper and wages are more in line with reality. Fat FAT Union contracts are directly to blame. And now most of those people have nothing.The party finally ended in the motor City...in a very very very very very bad way. I know it's not exactly the same. but something serious had to be done in Wisconsin (and several other states). They are spiraling out of control and off a cliff. It's nice to see people actually trying to do it, even though they will be crucified at the end.Perhaps they should have left the status quo, stood back and watched the State crumble into ruin? Then say see...told ya so. Naw, that wouldn't have worked either.It was a no win. And to be honest those Wisconsin State workers still have ONE HELL OF A DEAL. It's just now they don't have as much frosting on top of their ridiculously fat cake.blows my mind.
Finally saw this movie last night. I'll divide my opinion into two sections:1) I didn't think it was a fantastic documentary. It was good, but not great. I found it rich on fluff and not too heavy on substance. It spent a lot of time following kids around and interviewing them, and the climax was the lottery selection, but it didn't spend as much time digging into the facts and arguing both sides. When it actually did show some numbers or charts, they were powerful, and so it should have done more of that. 2) Having said that, I almost agree entirely with the message. It was terrible to see people who had an active interest in helping kids being shot down and discouraged at every turn. And of course the most shocking was the instance where classrooms were filmed with teachers reading and kids playing craps, and even those teachers couldn't be fired (as well as the NY rubber rooms).I've said this before and I'll reiterate the point: if giant corporations can be broken up, than so should giant unions. Clearly something has to be done. But I'm not saying that the problem is inherit to the concept of public schools. I remain confident, as those in the video did, that public schools can work (look at the extremely successful charter schools). They just need more freedom, independence, and less straight-jacket control from unions.It seems like a problem that CAN be fixed if the right people are in place and the country is in the right mood. I'm not crazy, right?
EVERYONE should see this film, regardless of political affiliation. A real eye opener.
you are in one of the most democratic towns and counties in the state.... lots of mills and a college...how are those paper mills doing?
The Republicans had a golden opportunity to reform a corrupt system while remaining popular, and they had a model for it: Chris Christie and New Jersey.Instead they've gone on some insane suicide tear that makes them look like stubborn ideologues -- which in this case they are, I guess. When you get beat politically by the public sector union, you know you're doing something very very wrong.So I agree with the R's goal of getting rid of the rigged system that basically allows public sector unions to set their own pay with other people's money, but the WI Republicans get a -1 out of 10 for the way they went about it.
And to be honest those Wisconsin State workers still have ONE HELL OF A DEAL. It's just now they don't have as much frosting on top of their ridiculously fat cake.blows my mind.
Whereas the richest 10% of this country HAD TO HAVE A TAX CUT because their cake only had 4 layers of frosting already?blows my mind.
The Republicans had a golden opportunity to reform a corrupt system while remaining popular, and they had a model for it: Chris Christie and New Jersey.
true. does it surprise in the least that they screwed it up though?
Whereas the richest 10% of this country HAD TO HAVE A TAX CUT because their cake only had 4 layers of frosting already?
If one year your taxes are at a certain level, and the next year they are the same, that is not a tax cut by any meaningful definition of the phrase tax cut.
blows my mind.
Yes, yes, it does.
true. does it surprise in the least that they screwed it up though?
It doesn't surprise me that they didn't do it exactly right, but the degree to which they screwed this particular pooch is breathtaking.