Super Bowl Penalities

Apparently kneeling in the end zone and raising your arms in joy is a penalty. Nick Collins got flagged for excessive celebration.Touchdown1-550x306.pngBut when Greg Jennings went to a knee in the end zone, he didn't get flagged because it was percieved he was praying.Touchdown2-550x303.pngNational Football League’s Vice President of Officiating, Mike Pereira, had this to say:

The whole issue is, you can’t go to the ground on your knees or with your hand or anything. There’s only one time that you’re going to be allowed to go on your knee after you score like this, and that’s when you want to praise the Lord. If you do that, then I’m going to allow that, because I do not want to be struck by lightning, I promise you that. We will allow that.

I think when sports figures spend 2-5 seconds acknowledging that their skills are gifts from God and that any glory they receive from a touchdown etc is tempered by them acknowledging their Creator, is a good thing.Now if they started making random mutations, I think that should be penalized by half the distance to the goal on the kickoff.

I think when sports figures spend 2-5 seconds acknowledging that they believe in a ghost and their skills are gifts from the imaginary spirit created by the tribes of the middle eastern desert during a time when people stoned each other, is a bad thing.

what if you come from a charismatic church that prays by dancing and singing and jumping around? WHy is one form of prayer more valid than the other to the league?
Because religion is the one area we allow people to continue to be absurd, and make absurd and illogical statements publicly, without any real blow back.
Because religion is the one area we allow people to continue to be absurd, and make absurd and illogical statements publicly, without any real blow back.
Well, voting would be another area where people are allowed to do stupid things, like vote democrat...or vote for Nadar.
I didn't know that.I think the excessive celebration penalties are stupid. I think you could give out penalties for taunting or even delay of game if your celebration takes too long, but I hate penalizing guys for being too happy.
I agree with all of this, including "I didn't know that." I was slightly surprised that going down on both knees was excessive celebration, and I assumed that the rule would be something like 'Only one knee is allowed to go to the ground." The fact that it's a religious distinction is hilarious. The excessive celebration penalties are completely arbitrary and ridiculous. So, you're allowed to leap into the seats and hug the fans? You're allowed to spike the ball and jump up and down? You're allowed to slam dunk the ball through the uprights? But fall down on the ground and it's a 15-yard penalty.I completely agree that taunting and delay of game should take care of it, and would prevent the ridiculous, elaborate team celebrations that the rule was a response to. Excessive celebration is easily the dumbest penalty in a game that has many dumb, arbitrary penalties.
Well, voting would be another area where people are allowed to do stupid things, like vote democrat...or vote for Nadar.
I know this is a democrat troll post, but I'll use it to solidify my post. Yes, either party can stupidly vote for a stupid candidate based on that candidate being a "democrat" or "republican". But, and this is obvious of course, there is massive blow back from the other side if that person is elected.Religion is literally the only thing I can think of where idiocy is given relative cart blanch because it is "sacred" or "deeply personal". In some countries, like America and Iraq and Afghanistan, at least.Nothing else even comes close. Fortunately, that is slowly changing. Unfortunately it's slowly.
I didn't know that.I think the excessive celebration penalties are stupid. I think you could give out penalties for taunting or even delay of game if your celebration takes too long, but I hate penalizing guys for being too happy.
I'm with you. I have no problem with penalizing guys like TO and CJ who plan out elaborate celebrations with props and whatnot, or guys who organize recreations of the Riverdance in the endzone...but a spontaneous celebration in the biggest game of a guy's life shouldn't be penalized, that's just crap. Rubbing it in the other team's face is one thing, but these guys bust their asses and should be allowed to celebrate their accomplishments. No Fun League.
I'm with you. I have no problem with penalizing guys like TO and CJ who plan out elaborate celebrations with props and whatnot, or guys who organize recreations of the Riverdance in the endzone...but a spontaneous celebration in the biggest game of a guy's life shouldn't be penalized, that's just crap. Rubbing it in the other team's face is one thing, but these guys bust their asses and should be allowed to celebrate their accomplishments. No Fun League.
I don't even mind some of TO's and C85's celebrations. Well props are over the top a but you know what I mean. I don't get the rubbing in aspect of it to be quite honest. You score a td on me and pretend the football is a baby or a can of beer, how does that really bother me. Especially since my team can score a td and pretend the ball is a grenade. To me the NFL and other sports are a form of entertainment and watching the reactions of players when something good happens is part of the entertainment. Take that away and it starts becoming less entertaining.
I'm with you. I have no problem with penalizing guys like TO and CJ who plan out elaborate celebrations with props and whatnot, or guys who organize recreations of the Riverdance in the endzone...but a spontaneous celebration in the biggest game of a guy's life shouldn't be penalized, that's just crap.
Okay, but why are organized celebrations so bad? I just don't get it, i think they are hilarious at best, and at worst, I shrug. I don't get people's aversion to them at all.
Okay, but why are organized celebrations so bad? I just don't get it, i think they are hilarious at best, and at worst, I shrug. I don't get people's aversion to them at all.
It obviously encourages bullying, gangs, and street fighting.
I think they should penalize and fine linebackers who strut around and flex after making a sack when their team is down 40 points because the offense has been walking through them all day and the third string is up getting field time.That and pouring orange gatorade on coaches and missing him even though he is 50 pounds over weight and you are world champions.
This. Clearly there was a difference between the two celebrations, but I don't see where the former was any form of showboating.
I think they should be penalized for praying and not otherwise. For god's sake, hasn't the NFL heard of the separation of church and state???
Oh yes, because the United States government is clearly 100% in charge of the NFL. :club:
In small doses I think they're hilarious also (like the Euro soccer team who posed for a "picture" after scoring a goal, or the grenade routine from Any Given Sunday, things like that) but if they're allowed to become commonplace then eventually they'll just be more time wasted watching overly rich guys be impressed with themselves. Once in a while I think it's great to see something a little different. I don't know where the line is, I think penalizing a guy who just scored a touchdown in the biggest game of his life for dropping to his knees and throwing his arms in the air is completely absurd, but I also thought Terrell Owens was a complete dickbag when he hid a sharpie in his sock, same for basically anything Chad Johnson has ever done in his life. I guess my line in the sand is, if you're obviously doing something for a little extra TV "hey look at me" time, you're a douche and should be penalized. If you're obviously celebrating an achievement naturally without preplanning (whether this is a receiver dropping to his knees in the end zone, a linebacker flexing his biceps after a sack, or a quarterback running down the field and dogpiling his teammates), you shouldn't be.
Good thing God doesn't want a sacrifice. Could get messy in the endzone.
I was really hoping the thread would get this vibe. I think the NFL needs some animal sacrifices after TD's to spice things up a bit. Nothing like a lamb on an alter to crowd the crowd fired up!
I was really hoping the thread would get this vibe. I think the NFL needs some animal sacrifices after TD's to spice things up a bit. Nothing like a lamb on an alter to crowd the crowd fired up!
Would be even better if it was the team that was just scored on doing the sacrificing.