Random News Observations

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The most interesting thing about the worlds largest beaver dam is that it was discovered via Google Earth and some guy trekked out there to see it IRL and was the first person to ever set foot in that

Beware of overcharging someone. Thats the #1 lesson learned from the Zimmerman case. He was guilty of avoidable behavior that ultimately culminated in a fatality- manslaughter- but he was not guilty

You should've tried to get on the jury and convince the rest that he was not guilty.

Posted Images

*U.S. DEC. PAYROLLS RISE 200,000, JOBLESS RATE FALLS TO 8.5%
I don't know what these numbers mean. Is this in comparison to November? Or December 2010? Aren't there always more jobs in December because of Christmas hiring? Actually, I don't know what most of your stats mean.What is considered the pool of available labor?
I don't know what these numbers mean. Is this in comparison to November? Or December 2010? Aren't there always more jobs in December because of Christmas hiring? Actually, I don't know what most of your stats mean.What is considered the pool of available labor?
First, yes?And All told, 23.7 million Americans are either out of work or underemployed.
yeah, it compares to november. yes, it attempts to adjust for seasonality, so you shouldn't see a big spike in december and a big decline in january. the census is an example of a foreseeable event that wasn't adjusted away, so you see a nice bump in this chart.all the banalities of the survey that determines the unemployment rate can be found here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_Population_Surveydon't spend much time thinking about it because (IMO) it's just not that important to know from a market perspective. "are we creating significantly more jobs than there are people entering the workforce?" the answer is still no.for political reasons it's pretty important though...

I will fucking block you if you ever post a link to zerohedge againI'm not kiddingI think maybe I was remembering a description of what ADP does, not NFP. so it's possible that I'm just wrong on december/january.

Once again the world must face the reality that the US is the best at everything.Especially aviation.Cliffs: Consortium of European countries combined public and private money to compete with America's Boeing Corp and produced a plane that had an air frame that fails after a very short time in service.For comparison, in America all aircraft manufacturers must guarantee their air frames for 18 years.

Once again the world must face the reality that the US is the best at everything.Especially aviation.Cliffs: Consortium of European countries combined public and private money to compete with America's Boeing Corp and produced a plane that had an air frame that fails after a very short time in service.For comparison, in America all aircraft manufacturers must guarantee their air frames for 18 years.
'MURKA!At least compare apples to apples. The 787 Dreamliner, which was built to compete with the A380 was delayed 6 times and went hundreds of billions over budget. The A380 is a pretty hideous plane, though, whereas the 787 looks pretty sharp.
'MURKA!At least compare apples to apples. The 787 Dreamliner, which was built to compete with the A380 was delayed 6 times and went hundreds of billions over budget. The A380 is a pretty hideous plane, though, whereas the 787 looks pretty sharp.
But the Boeing 787 was financed by Boeing, whereas the A380 was given massive amounts of government money/favors to upset the control of the industry by Boeing/America's finest.
But the Boeing 787 was financed by Boeing, whereas the A380 was given massive amounts of government money/favors to upset the control of the industry by Boeing/America's finest.
...and?
...and?
Exactly, the left sees nothing wrong with using tax dollars to shore up 'private' industry as long as they kick back massive amounts back to them during re-election years.The entire Airbus operation was one of corruption and political graft.
Exactly, the left sees nothing wrong with using tax dollars to shore up 'private' industry as long as they kick back massive amounts back to them during re-election years.
lol @ calling me "the left"I thought you were trying to make a point (poorly obv) about how Boeing was qualitatively 'better' than Airbus, and I simply tore down your case by noting Airbus beat Boeing to the punch on this superjumbo project, and quite handily. I give a fuck how they got there.BUT DERP GUBMENT BAD DERP
Want to understand the economy? Don't read the pressFinancial crimes and woes are severely underreported in the media, and in many cases, completely overlooked.http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2...4839271411.html

He goes on to detail the errors with the most obvious one - mistaking holiday seasonal jobs for permanent employment:
The 200,000 jobs number reported for December was distorted by unusual seasonal factors, the most obvious of which was the 42,200 job growth reported in the courier industry. This is primarily companies like FedEx and UPS who hire additional workers to deal with holiday demand.

I asked about this when the job numbers came out. I think strategy said that seasonal jobs aren't even counted in unemployment figures.

He goes on to detail the errors with the most obvious one - mistaking holiday seasonal jobs for permanent employment:
The 200,000 jobs number reported for December was distorted by unusual seasonal factors, the most obvious of which was the 42,200 job growth reported in the courier industry. This is primarily companies like FedEx and UPS who hire additional workers to deal with holiday demand.

I asked about this when the job numbers came out. I think strategy said that seasonal jobs aren't even counted in unemployment figures.

Yes they seasonally adjust the unemployment stats to take things like that into account so that you can compare the numbers from different times of the year.

Yes they seasonally adjust the unemployment stats to take things like that into account so that you can compare the numbers from different times of the year.
So the same government that loses a few billion here and there is able to accurately determine active job numbers with pin point accuracy?I think that is a little naive.Especially when you consider that almost every month they have to revise the previous data because they guessed wrong.
So the same government that loses a few billion here and there is able to accurately determine active job numbers with pin point accuracy?I think that is a little naive.Especially when you consider that almost every month they have to revise the previous data because they guessed wrong.
Whoa, I almost responded to a BG post.That was a close one.
Three common misconceptions about the US.Those numbers are nowhere near where I would've guessed.
Good article. And toward the first point, even if a product is are technically made in China, it doesn't mean that the profits go to China. The mac I'm typing on was made in China, but Apple's profits stay in the US.
Good article. And toward the first point, even if a product is are technically made in China, it doesn't mean that the profits go to China. The mac I'm typing on was made in China, but Apple's profits stay in the US.
I remember seeing an article on the components of an I-Phone and where they came from. The final assembly was done in China but most of the components came from places like Korea and Japan so only a very small amount of the cost of producing the phone actually came from China.
I remember seeing an article on the components of an I-Phone and where they came from. The final assembly was done in China but most of the components came from places like Korea and Japan so only a very small amount of the cost of producing the phone actually came from China.
I brought it up because I recently listened to this "This American Life" piece:http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-arch...e-apple-factoryIt's about a reporter who goes to the factory in China where Apple products are made. Really, really interesting and highly recommended.