Random News Observations

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The most interesting thing about the worlds largest beaver dam is that it was discovered via Google Earth and some guy trekked out there to see it IRL and was the first person to ever set foot in that

Beware of overcharging someone. Thats the #1 lesson learned from the Zimmerman case. He was guilty of avoidable behavior that ultimately culminated in a fatality- manslaughter- but he was not guilty

You should've tried to get on the jury and convince the rest that he was not guilty.

Posted Images

Hi Bob, including all the outer rain bands in that map is a bit disingenuous as many tropical storm systems have this kind of extent but with no storm intensity in the outer extensions, having said that this was a major storm.

Example, I was in Honduras in 1998 for hurricane Mitch with massive damage and 18,000 dead, witnessed a lot of things I never want to see again.

The rain bands on that storm extended all the way to Florida but there was zero impact in these outer areas.

• 3 weeks later...

This could be a preliminary for the Sochi Olympics. Suicide bombing at the Volgograd, Russia train station that killed about a dozen people.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/female-suicide-bomber-kills-at-least-14-at-russian-railway-station/article16120340/?click=tglobe

http://youtu.be/WPG1IkRFIQs

were they expecting to not sell out the winter classic this year?

They were planning on setting a World Record for most people to watch a hockey game and I'm pretty sure they achieved that. I guess there were still a few empty seats which makes sense with the weather since there was probably very little walk up crowd.

• 1 month later...

Eventually they will be standard as Tasers, however police unions fervently oppose them because they catch cops being cops. The motivation for cities to get off their asses and make lapel cameras happen usually comes after city hall cuts a huge check on a big civil settlement stemming from police abuse and basically tell the department to **** off, you're wearing them whether you like it or not.

The CPD is rotten to its core (culturally, systemically rotten, particularly in the units), honest officers are always relegated to outpost assignments; beat cars, traffic, etc. A standard traffic stop on the soutside involves being removed from your car and held on the ground at gunpoint while two cops search it and the other one demands to know where the drugs are. I LOL at internet lawyers who talk about 'rights' at a traffic stop, etc. There are no 'rights' practiced the jungle.

That said, how the **** else are you going to police Roseland? With kindness? The reality of that job is it calls for doing shit that is way, way outside the 'formal job description'.

• 1 month later...

The common sense of allowing yourself to have an unresolved outstanding warrant against you?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Even ignoring death, I think it's under publicized how much of Africa's problem is caused by mosquitos.

yup, charities that supply mosquito netting aren't sexy but they do a lot of good

yup, charities that supply mosquito netting aren't sexy but they do a lot of good

I think this describes the general problem with African charity. Everyone wants to throw their money at something like curing AIDS or building a children's hospital, when there are a zillion cheap, practical things that need doing just as much.

Are we all just going to conveniently ignore the fact that 10,000 people are killed every year by fucking snails? I feel like this is information that I should have stumbled upon at some point in my 29 years on this planet.

Are we all just going to conveniently ignore the fact that 10,000 people are killed every year by fucking snails? I feel like this is information that I should have stumbled upon at some point in my 29 years on this planet.

Yeah, it's awesome.

The malaria problem is a lot bigger than death, though. It's a huge economic problem, because some insane percentage of the continent (which I'm too lazy to google) is too sick to be productive for like 1/10 of the time.