Random News Observations

I don't think confidence slips at all when they rabble rouse about the ceiling. I don't see the world economy suffering, just the ****ing retail tards that are selling off stocks when the news sounds scary and buying back in when we hear the all clear.

it's just a really really bad thing to get into the habit of doing. "here's this random, arbitrary, critical thing we have to agree on or we will pointlessly destroy the economy. better play chicken with it over this totally unrelated issue."

before you try to tell me the budget woes are related to OMG rising healthcare costs, I want you to look at the 66% of the budget that both sides agree is untouchable.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The most interesting thing about the worlds largest beaver dam is that it was discovered via Google Earth and some guy trekked out there to see it IRL and was the first person to ever set foot in that

Beware of overcharging someone. Thats the #1 lesson learned from the Zimmerman case. He was guilty of avoidable behavior that ultimately culminated in a fatality- manslaughter- but he was not guilty

You should've tried to get on the jury and convince the rest that he was not guilty.

Posted Images

I don't think confidence slips at all when they rabble rouse about the ceiling. I don't see the world economy suffering, just the ****ing retail tards that are selling off stocks when the news sounds scary and buying back in when we hear the all clear.

What if it's October 15th and there's no movement? How will trading be effected on the 16th? For the most part, I agree that rational expectations are that the government can't possibly default on its debt obligations, but I am not certain those expectations won't shift eventually. Unlike before, Republican gamesmanship now includes the line that not raising the debt ceiling WON'T lead to a default. I think that talking point could really scare people. Even if the line is a bluff, meant to coerce concessions from Dems (or mitigate the potential political fallout and give them more time to maneuver), if anybody important believes the Republicans believe it, then couldn't it realistically shift expectations eventually?

What if it's October 15th and there's no movement? How will trading be effected on the 16th? For the most part, I agree that rational expectations are that the government can't possibly default on its debt obligations, but I am not certain those expectations won't shift eventually. Unlike before, Republican gamesmanship now includes the line that not raising the debt ceiling WON'T lead to a default. I think that talking point could really scare people. Even if the line is a bluff, meant to coerce concessions from Dems (or mitigate the potential political fallout and give them more time to maneuver), if anybody important believes the Republicans believe it, then couldn't it realistically shift expectations eventually?

yeah, no doubt. smart money won't start getting worried until a few hours leading up to the deadline. if we cross it, even if we don't immediately encounter a default, markets around the world will plummet, people will start doing damaging things looking for cover, etc. the thing is, the important people are the institutional investors, and they tend to see through all the BS that comes out of the ratings agencies, the media, and the politicians. there does come a point when you start to believe what the crazy person is saying, when he's only got a few seconds left to disarm his suicide vest or whatever.

I'm hoping The Treasury has something like this ready to go.

Mint the Premium Bonds!

the idea is funny, but the second a loophole like that is employed, goodbye international bond investor confidence...

the idea is funny, but the second a loophole like that is employed, goodbye international bond investor confidence...

I don't think I agree with you.

It isn't ideal but I think using something like premium bonds will increase confidence a lot more than getting close to a default.

We have to remember that there really isn't a substitute for US Treasuries in the World. The buyers of Treasuries can't all of a sudden start buying those sorts of large volumes in anything else.

I actually worry more about the fiscal drag that will push the US and World economy into another recession than I do the reactions of the capital markets if the debt ceiling isn't increased.

you're not wrong. we've already provided a lot of motivation for people to look elsewhere, but they aren't leaving in big volume yet. the hilarious things I see the biggest bond investment manager buying on a daily basis, though... lol.

some of the decline in the S&P so far has been merited. like, the arc of the recovery has been altered significantly due to all the reduction in government employment over the last few years.. it isn't a leap to think the shutdown, mild though it is, is having some small negative impact.

Nothing you've linked or written bears any relation, in any substantive way, to the discussion at hand, while being so poorly formatted as to be almost unreadable. I took a shot anyway.

As far as I can tell, the first two links are to HR 2668 (vote tally) and then an objection from Harry Reid when Sen. McConnell asked for UNANIMOUS CONSENT to pass the measure in the senate. I'm not sure how familiar you are with parliamentary procedure, but basically the "unanimous consent" motion is a way to expedite the passage of a bill WITHOUT VOTING. If anyone objects, then the bill has to go to a vote. McConnell said, "I want to pass this bill without a vote." Reid said, "no, let's vote." Reid was the specific senator objecting because McConnell was the senator floating the motion. McConnell is the minority leader, so the majority leader responded. This is... you know this is nonsense, right? What you're talking about?

The other stuff is, like, random stories about how the shutdown sucks, a link to a story about how Obama is too conservative for hill Democrats, and a link to the Washington Times (which sounds like a newspaper, but is Sun Myung Moon's nutbag rag, and it is insane, and I dare you to suggest it isn't insane because I will link to 100,000,000 insane articles).

Please, if you want to engage on the issue, engage. Don't link-spam nonsense. And don't intentionally and actively lie, like with the unanimous consent link. There are some actual reasons to sympathize with conservatives, and if you're a tea-party Republican, please, explain why the shut-down + debt-ceiling strategy isn't irresponsible. If you're not a tea-party ®, maybe explain, you know, why you don't hate the hyper-conservative wing of your own party right now?

I'm a huge fan of individual rights, small federal govt, fiscal responsibility, strong national defense, and even a supporter of the 2nd Amendment. But I ****ing hate the Republican Party so much right now

Finally, JustDoIt, people like you are absolutely ****ing killing the party, and I want to puke all over your head, sir.

Nothing you've linked or written bears any relation, in any substantive way, to the discussion at hand, while being so poorly formatted as to be almost unreadable. I took a shot anyway.

I was responding to CainBrain since I had said this situation was totally on Obama. Obamas Presidency has been one of no leadership and a continual campaigning. The House bill I referred to was a bi-partisan bill that was passed July 17th and stonewalled in the Senate. The purpose of the bill was to delay the individual mandate, which was a response to Obamas Unconstitutional actions in the delay of the Employer Mandate. Of course that one flew right over your head.

I then referenced with links the Senate actions on the budget; I mean their non-action on the budget. Of course the House has been passing budgets and the Senate has not. Of course the house budget is then hammered over their head by Democratic talking heads. I included a link to Washington Post supporting this point.

So yeah, looking at the actions over the last five years by the Administration and Senate it really is on Obama.

I also included a video by Chris Matthews that validates some of the points I am making. He is close to the action and in this video was definitely had some candid points.

I am happy with the Republicans on the way this unfolded? No! Do they need to work on their Messaging? YES!

By the way, Jon Stewart absolutely eviscerated Sebelius on the Individual Mandate last night, check it out. It is amazing to watch the administration response on Obamacare when they are actually asked some tuff questions.

http://politicaltick...i-a-stupid-man/

If anyone objects, then the bill has to go to a vote. McConnell said, "I want to pass this bill without a vote." Reid said, "no, let's vote." Reid was the specific senator objecting because McConnell was the senator floating the motion. McConnell is the minority leader, so the majority leader responded. This is... you know this is nonsense, right? What you're talking about?

Come on, you know this bill was dead on arrival and was not going to get an up and down vote. None of the bills sent over are getting an up or down vote. McConnell was doing the only thing he could do to get it on the record since Reid would not bring it to the floor for a vote. Reid defiantly did not say let’s vote. He just babbled talking points that had nothing to do with the bill. Check out what he said at 4:29:27.

http://www.c-spanarc...SessionPart2145

I’m sure you are aware that there is bi-partisan support in the Senate and House to remove the tax on medical devices in Obamacare. I’m sure that you know that Reid has blocked it.

The other stuff is, like, random stories about how the shutdown sucks, a link to a story about how Obama is too conservative for hill Democrats, and a link to the Washington Times (which sounds like a newspaper, but is Sun Myung Moon's nutbag rag, and it is insane, and I dare you to suggest it isn't insane because I will link to 100,000,000 insane articles).

The point of TheHill article was not about Obama being conservative it was about an aid that said Reid was in charge.

My links had nothing to do with the shutdown sucks. The links illustrate the Obama Administration is unnecessarily inflicting as much pain as possible and costing people money. We had an immigration rally yesterday at the Capital Mall, which is closed.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., commended the park service for "bending over backwards" to ensure the rally took place on the National Mall, directly between the Washington Monument and the Capitol.

http://nbcpolitics.n...for-reform?lite

Yeah……….with Obama its all about fairness. No, it all about Obama punishing people to manipulate public opinion. Did the same thing at the start of Sequester.

and a link to the Washington Times (which sounds like a newspaper, but is Sun Myung Moon's nutbag rag, and it is insane, and I dare you to suggest it isn't insane because I will link to 100,000,000 insane articles).

This argument is ridiculous. I could say the same thing about Daily Kos, Mother Jones, NY times etc., and that would not be true. My range is far left to far right. It is my job to sift through the crap, which you can find on any site.

And don't intentionally and actively lie

Ridiculous and total BS.

if you're a tea-party Republican, please, explain why the shut-down + debt-ceiling strategy isn't irresponsible. If you're not a tea-party ®, maybe explain, you know, why you don't hate the hyper-conservative wing of your own party right now?

No affiliations. Started out Democrat then Republican. If I could bring back the Kennedy Democratic Party I would have no problem being a member of that party. I have never voted straight tickets. I laugh at the venom thrown at the Tea Party because they have common ground with Liberal Left, Liberties and Crony Capitalism. Of course the powers to be want everyone separated. Sad they don’t join forces on those two items, the country would be better off.

Hate……..not part of my deal. As Mark Twain said,

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.

I believe this could also be applied to Hate.

I'm a huge fan of individual rights, small federal govt, fiscal responsibility, strong national defense, and even a supporter of the 2nd Amendment.

Pretty much right there with you.

Having huge problems with the following;

NSA and the Obama Administration helping them in a all out assault of our liberties.

Administration assault on press (AP and Rosen).

Phony Scandals.

The growth of government during the last two administrations.

And there is this that should scare the h**l out of everyone.

Obamacare Marketplace: Personal Data Can Be Used For ‘Law Enforcement and Audit Activities’

The only exception to this policy is that we may share information provided in your application with the appropriate authorities for law enforcement and audit activities.

If you send us an e-mail, we use the information you send us to respond to your inquiry. E-mail correspondence may become a public record. As a public record, your correspondence could be disclosed to other parties upon their request in accordance with Maryland’s Public Information Act.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obamacare-marketplace-personal-data-can-be-used-law-enforcement-and-audit-activities_762237.html

Enough for now.

Finally, JustDoIt, people like you are absolutely ****ing killing the party, and I want to puke all over your head, sir.

Sorry about that, hope you feel better.

Let's see how well they do win an AR-15

American schools still lose, but home schooling picks up the slack.

Either gun can be field stripped by monkeys (the second to last boy forgot to remove the gas tube assembly. For that, his family dies!)

Lets see them stupid slavic bastards rebuild a damaged escapement. That will be impressive.

I was responding to CainBrain since I had said this situation was totally on Obama. Obamas Presidency has been one of no leadership and a continual campaigning. The House bill I referred to was a bi-partisan bill that was passed July 17th and stonewalled in the Senate. The purpose of the bill was to delay the individual mandate, which was a response to Obamas Unconstitutional actions in the delay of the Employer Mandate. Of course that one flew right over your head.

I then referenced with links the Senate actions on the budget; I mean their non-action on the budget. Of course the House has been passing budgets and the Senate has not. Of course the house budget is then hammered over their head by Democratic talking heads. I included a link to Washington Post supporting this point.

So yeah, looking at the actions over the last five years by the Administration and Senate it really is on Obama.

I also included a video by Chris Matthews that validates some of the points I am making. He is close to the action and in this video was definitely had some candid points.

I am happy with the Republicans on the way this unfolded? No! Do they need to work on their Messaging? YES!

By the way, Jon Stewart absolutely eviscerated Sebelius on the Individual Mandate last night, check it out. It is amazing to watch the administration response on Obamacare when they are actually asked some tuff questions.

http://politicaltick...i-a-stupid-man/

Come on, you know this bill was dead on arrival and was not going to get an up and down vote. None of the bills sent over are getting an up or down vote. McConnell was doing the only thing he could do to get it on the record since Reid would not bring it to the floor for a vote. Reid defiantly did not say let’s vote. He just babbled talking points that had nothing to do with the bill. Check out what he said at 4:29:27.

http://www.c-spanarc...SessionPart2145

I’m sure you are aware that there is bi-partisan support in the Senate and House to remove the tax on medical devices in Obamacare. I’m sure that you know that Reid has blocked it.

The point of TheHill article was not about Obama being conservative it was about an aid that said Reid was in charge.

My links had nothing to do with the shutdown sucks. The links illustrate the Obama Administration is unnecessarily inflicting as much pain as possible and costing people money. We had an immigration rally yesterday at the Capital Mall, which is closed.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., commended the park service for "bending over backwards" to ensure the rally took place on the National Mall, directly between the Washington Monument and the Capitol.

http://nbcpolitics.n...for-reform?lite

Yeah……….with Obama its all about fairness. No, it all about Obama punishing people to manipulate public opinion. Did the same thing at the start of Sequester.

This argument is ridiculous. I could say the same thing about Daily Kos, Mother Jones, NY times etc., and that would not be true. My range is far left to far right. It is my job to sift through the crap, which you can find on any site.

Ridiculous and total BS.

No affiliations. Started out Democrat then Republican. If I could bring back the Kennedy Democratic Party I would have no problem being a member of that party. I have never voted straight tickets. I laugh at the venom thrown at the Tea Party because they have common ground with Liberal Left, Liberties and Crony Capitalism. Of course the powers to be want everyone separated. Sad they don’t join forces on those two items, the country would be better off.

Hate……..not part of my deal. As Mark Twain said,

Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.

I believe this could also be applied to Hate.

Pretty much right there with you.

Having huge problems with the following;

NSA and the Obama Administration helping them in a all out assault of our liberties.

Administration assault on press (AP and Rosen).

Phony Scandals.

The growth of government during the last two administrations.

And there is this that should scare the h**l out of everyone.

Obamacare Marketplace: Personal Data Can Be Used For ‘Law Enforcement and Audit Activities’

The only exception to this policy is that we may share information provided in your application with the appropriate authorities for law enforcement and audit activities.

If you send us an e-mail, we use the information you send us to respond to your inquiry. E-mail correspondence may become a public record. As a public record, your correspondence could be disclosed to other parties upon their request in accordance with Maryland’s Public Information Act.

http://www.weeklysta...ies_762237.html

Enough for now.

Sorry about that, hope you feel better.

Why do you multiquote like this?

Do you realize that you are NOT buttressing your point with more and more prattle, that it actually winds underminding whatever you have to say? It's like walking into a job interview wearing a red clown nose. It doesn't matter what you actually say. You're going to get mocked. .

Why do you multiquote like this?

Do you realize that you are NOT buttressing your point with more and more prattle, that it actually winds underminding whatever you have to say? It's like walking into a job interview wearing a red clown nose. It doesn't matter what you actually say. You're going to get mocked. .

What's the appropriate response format?

http://www.wesh.com/news/central-florida/drug-search-at-home-uncovers-alligator-living-in-hot-tub/-/11788162/22483038/-/nt5cfy/-/index.html?absolute=true

Drug bust uncovers Alligator living in a hot tub.

Best parts:

"The man who lives in the home told detectives the alligator was there when he moved in and he was just feeding it."

"Tony Wells was charged with possession of an alligator. Crystal Williams was charged with possession of cocaine"

This is awesome

"...And then locking up pipelines and resources that will result in us being more reliant on foreign imports for energy, and then of course he, having left behind, his administration having left behind our brave men in Benghazi to be murdered, and then of course there's Syria, where he promised to bomb Syria because in that civil war, Syria was going to bomb Syria, and then we never heard another word again about his threat to bomb in a foreign civil war, and then of course..."