Random News Observations

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The most interesting thing about the worlds largest beaver dam is that it was discovered via Google Earth and some guy trekked out there to see it IRL and was the first person to ever set foot in that

Beware of overcharging someone. Thats the #1 lesson learned from the Zimmerman case. He was guilty of avoidable behavior that ultimately culminated in a fatality- manslaughter- but he was not guilty

You should've tried to get on the jury and convince the rest that he was not guilty.

Posted Images

So, the government it shut down. I'm not old enough to remember the Clinton Gingrich furlough (I think I was like 6), but I'm curious as to how people here view the current shutdown. I'm kind of annoyed that Democrats basically spent the run up to the shut down condemning Republicans, but apart from that minor quibble, it really feels like Democrats are winning the political battle. Cruz and Co. really come off like petulant bitches. "If I can't get my way, THEN NOBODY GETS ANYTHING SO THERE, OBAAAAAAMAAAA."

I don't blame Boehner, really, because he's been trying to avoid this (and getting killed for by his own party) since he teamed up with Biden in January. He's a cautious, reasonably reasonable dude, but the right flank of the party... just holy crap. Boehner is probably, at this point, a failure as a Republican leader, he couldn't put a coalition together to save his life, but he's absolutely not to blame for this nonsense. His whip doesn't have his back, Cantor wants his job, and everybody who has presidential ambitions in 2016 thinks they need Tea Party support and money to win the primary. Unless things change very significantly very soon, the sensible right is dead, and the Republican party is going to fracture. John McCain has to be losing it right now. I feel so bad for that dude.

Anybody else have a read on the situation?

• Like 1

I think a lot of the problems relate to the fact that the US Constitution is not designed for a modern country and is deeply flawed if you want government to work.

It seems that there is a bit of a civil war going on in the GOP and it's going to be really interesting to see what happens with the debt ceiling because that is the thing that can do real painful harm if it isn't raised. The fact that congress has to pass separate legislation to pay for the things that they have already voted to spend the money on is really insane.

I think a lot of the problems relate to the fact that the US Constitution is not designed for a modern country and is deeply flawed if you want government to work.

It seems that there is a bit of a civil war going on in the GOP and it's going to be really interesting to see what happens with the debt ceiling because that is the thing that can do real painful harm if it isn't raised. The fact that congress has to pass separate legislation to pay for the things that they have already voted to spend the money on is really insane.

Please explain your thinking that the constitution is outdated. In what way and why?

Please explain your thinking that the constitution is outdated. In what way and why?

Blood on the Constitution

America will never solve its gun problem until it gets over its fetish for the Founding Fathers

The article I linked to above uses gun control as the example but it's not just that.

Let’s Give Up on the Constitution

The above op-ed has an interesting take on things.

The World and the United States are very different places than 200 plus years ago and to expect any constitution from that time to not have a lot of problems is a little naive.

The article I linked to above uses gun control as the example but it's not just that.

The World and the United States are very different places than 200 plus years ago and to expect any constitution from that time to not have a lot of problems is a little naive.

The Constitution is alive and well even though it has and is being attacked. We have a President who has not upheld his oath of office and has done many Unconstitutional things.

To put this on the Republicans is amazing. Their messaging is messed up but this is totally on the President.

There are surely things a little outdated, but Id be terrified to open up a constitutional convention. Especially how divided this country is right now.

To put this on the Republicans is amazing. Their messaging is messed up but this is totally on the President.

How is this totally on the President? "It's Obama's fault" tells us nothing if you can't explain why or how it's totally on him.

In related news, Michele Bachmann's response to the shutdown is: "We're very excited. It's exactly what we wanted, and we got it." No seriously, she said that.

http://www.washingto...b77e_story.html

John Culberson of Texas called it "wonderful," with no apparent sarcasm.

Definitely 100% Obama's fault though, in spite of his political enemies now celebrating the shutdown and saying it's what they wanted.

Anyone else see the "New York Biker Attack" video?

A pretty comprehensive breakdown is here.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1471585

As someone who's been on the road with swarms of those worthless faggots causing havoc in traffic and ****ing with people, mark me down as being majorly biased towards the driver unless something very clear-cut comes out to prove he was acting with malice. They seemed to be ****ing with him (like swarms of crotch rockets always do whenever they're in traffic). One gets in front of his SUV and brake-checks him, he apparently hits the bike, then the helmet cam gets too far ahead to see what's going on but all parties agree at that point, the bikers were attacking his SUV.

With his wife and kid in the car, he beelines right through them, running a couple over and injuring one very badly them. The others give chase and they eventually catch up with him, drag him out of the car and whip his ass.

1) Don't leave the house without a pocket knife. A stupid, 3" blade pocket knife can make the difference between getting beaten to death and saving your family. A knife will never win a gun fight but very few altercations are gun fights and a stupid knife can definitely ward off a group of shitheads after they see Julio get a hole punched in his throat.

2) As he was fleeing and they were pursing, he should've been taking them out with his car whenever he could. No chance I go on the defensive or flee. Seriously, in that same spot, with my kid in the car, I would've plowed through them, then backed up through them again, then plowed through them again and not stopped until they were running from me, not vice versa. Lets see who wins this fight, "bikers". Go ahead, break my windows. You'll soon be under the axles. Deal with the liability and public perception later.

What was the car's integrity like when he was driving away? I think I read somewhere that at least a few of his tires had been slashed. If that's the case, I'm pretty sure aggression is more dangerous that an escape attempt.

EDIT: It looks like the slashed tires was pretty late in the chase. I offer no content at all

Not much of a shutdown if 80% of the government is still working.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/10/01/jessie-kline-what-happens-if-they-shut-down-the-government-and-no-one-cares/

What happens if they shut down the government and no one cares?

Most Americans awoke Tuesday morning and went about their day as usual: Factory workers in Detroit continued to make cars, programmers in Silicon Valley developed software and farmers in Iowa worked their fields.

Despite fears over the government shutdown, the only town that truly felt the effects of the high-stakes poker game being played by politicians was Washington.

In a world that increasingly depends on government to manage every minute aspect of daily life, the prospect for some people of losing their nanny can be scary. Indeed, most of the uproar over the government shutdown, in the media and on social networks, focuses on high-visibility institutions that deal directly with the public.

“Due to the gov’t shutdown, all public NASA activities/events are cancelled or postponed until further notice,” read a tweet sent by the U.S. space agency. Can the world survive without fresh pictures of space popping up on Twitter feeds, or government programs that waste millions of dollars sending robots to Mars? We’re about to find out.

The Huffington Post warns, “If you weren’t already panicked about the possibility of a government shutdown,” news the closure of the National Zoo means there is no live feed of the pandas “may push you over the edge.” People who can’t stand the thought of going a single day without viewing the cuddly animals will have to visit one of the four other websites that feature real-time feeds of pandas at other zoos.

Others are lamenting the fact the Statue of Liberty has been shuttered.

“The statue … is America, it symbolizes freedom, jobs, a government you can trust,” said one tourist.

But this is nothing new: It was closed after 9/11 and visitors were not allowed back to the top until 2009. Liberty survived.

Other high-profile sites that have been affected include the Smithsonian museums, tours of the Capitol building, and the Lincoln and Second World War memorials. Reports of empty cars on the Washington Metro give the illusion the government shutdown will have a profound impact on Americans’ daily lives.

But the truth is of the 4.1 million people employed by the federal government, 80% will still be expected to show up for work. Only 800,000 of them will be out of a job until the impasse is resolved.

The shutdown only affects workers who are paid through discretionary spending. Numerous departments, including the U.S. Postal Service, the Federal Reserve and the U.S. Mint, are funded from other sources and will run as normal. Other agencies, such as the State Department and Amtrak, are partially funded by user fees. So, for the time being, the trains will run, passports will be issued and the mail will be delivered.

Other government programs that many poor and elderly people have come to rely on, such as Social Security, are counted as mandatory spending and will not be affected. The workers who process Social Security benefits will not be paid until the government is up and running again, but they will be expected to perform their duties in the meantime.

Finally, services that are considered “essential” will continue to operate, including the departments of Homeland Security, Transportation, Veterans’ Affairs and Justice. In other words, the borders will still be protected, flights will take off and police will keep catching bad guys. (And why the Federal Student Aid department continues to operate, while the National Institutes of Health cancels clinical trials for children with cancer, suggests that the U.S. government seriously needs to re-prioritize what it deems to be an “essential service”.)

Even the National Security Agency won’t have its domestic spying program affected by the shutdown and the U.S.’s 1.4 million active-duty military personnel will get their pay cheques................

I wonder how long the House is going to get away with trashing the Senate when they won't even hold a vote on the bills the Senate is sending them. At least the Senate has the decency to hold votes on received proposals.

Not much of a shutdown if 80% of the government is still working.

http://fullcomment.n...d-no-one-cares/

What happens if they shut down the government and no one cares?

Most Americans awoke Tuesday morning and went about their day as usual: Factory workers in Detroit continued to make cars, programmers in Silicon Valley developed software and farmers in Iowa worked their fields.

Despite fears over the government shutdown, the only town that truly felt the effects of the high-stakes poker game being played by politicians was Washington.

In a world that increasingly depends on government to manage every minute aspect of daily life, the prospect for some people of losing their nanny can be scary. Indeed, most of the uproar over the government shutdown, in the media and on social networks, focuses on high-visibility institutions that deal directly with the public.

“Due to the gov’t shutdown, all public NASA activities/events are cancelled or postponed until further notice,” read a tweet sent by the U.S. space agency. Can the world survive without fresh pictures of space popping up on Twitter feeds, or government programs that waste millions of dollars sending robots to Mars? We’re about to find out.

The Huffington Post warns, “If you weren’t already panicked about the possibility of a government shutdown,” news the closure of the National Zoo means there is no live feed of the pandas “may push you over the edge.” People who can’t stand the thought of going a single day without viewing the cuddly animals will have to visit one of the four other websites that feature real-time feeds of pandas at other zoos.

Others are lamenting the fact the Statue of Liberty has been shuttered.

“The statue … is America, it symbolizes freedom, jobs, a government you can trust,” said one tourist.

But this is nothing new: It was closed after 9/11 and visitors were not allowed back to the top until 2009. Liberty survived.

Other high-profile sites that have been affected include the Smithsonian museums, tours of the Capitol building, and the Lincoln and Second World War memorials. Reports of empty cars on the Washington Metro give the illusion the government shutdown will have a profound impact on Americans’ daily lives.

But the truth is of the 4.1 million people employed by the federal government, 80% will still be expected to show up for work. Only 800,000 of them will be out of a job until the impasse is resolved.

The shutdown only affects workers who are paid through discretionary spending. Numerous departments, including the U.S. Postal Service, the Federal Reserve and the U.S. Mint, are funded from other sources and will run as normal. Other agencies, such as the State Department and Amtrak, are partially funded by user fees. So, for the time being, the trains will run, passports will be issued and the mail will be delivered.

Other government programs that many poor and elderly people have come to rely on, such as Social Security, are counted as mandatory spending and will not be affected. The workers who process Social Security benefits will not be paid until the government is up and running again, but they will be expected to perform their duties in the meantime.

Finally, services that are considered “essential” will continue to operate, including the departments of Homeland Security, Transportation, Veterans’ Affairs and Justice. In other words, the borders will still be protected, flights will take off and police will keep catching bad guys. (And why the Federal Student Aid department continues to operate, while the National Institutes of Health cancels clinical trials for children with cancer, suggests that the U.S. government seriously needs to re-prioritize what it deems to be an “essential service”.)

Even the National Security Agency won’t have its domestic spying program affected by the shutdown and the U.S.’s 1.4 million active-duty military personnel will get their pay cheques................

Nutrition assistance to poor children has been stopped. I know, feeding hungry children isn't a "sexy" issue but it's important to some. But hey, well-off white people barely noticed, so no big deal.

The Constitution is alive and well even though it has and is being attacked. We have a President who has not upheld his oath of office and has done many Unconstitutional things.

Why won't the House even hold a vote on the bills that come from the Senate? Because they know the shutdown would end and they don't want that? Please explain (with an actual explanation this time) how this is not on the House GOP who refuses to even allow a vote on a CR with no Obamacare delay.

For one, the vote would just be a symbolic waste of time, since everyone already knows who would vote for what. You will keep saying, "At least vote guys! That's all I want." But everyone reading your posts knows that's a lie. The only thing you would be happy with, would be a vote that the democrats win. Anything else just creates a new complaint from Cane. I don't think that's a good enough reason to hold a vote.

For one, the vote would just be a symbolic waste of time, since everyone already knows who would vote for what. You will keep saying, "At least vote guys! That's all I want." But everyone reading your posts knows that's a lie. The only thing you would be happy with, would be a vote that the democrats win. Anything else just creates a new complaint from Cane. I don't think that's a good enough reason to hold a vote.

You do realize that the reason a vote isn't happening is because there are a large enough number of not crazy Republican members of the House who will vote with the Democrats to reopen the government.

You do realize that the reason a vote isn't happening is because there are a large enough number of not crazy Republican members of the House who will vote with the Democrats to reopen the government.

I'm assuming you're talking about the same people that voted to defund Obamacare last week?

Those are the people that are trying to fund vital services to the poor, and the Senate dems are refusing.

http://freebeacon.com/reid-why-would-we-want-to-help-one-kid-with-cancer/